PDA

View Full Version : plans for tuesday?

burrocrat
09-29-2013, 10:46 AM
what are you planning to do on tuesday if the government shuts down?

after i commute in to work and submit my time and attendance, lock my files, and remove any candy or snacks from my desk so as not to attract vermin in case of an extended non-occupancy, i'm going to buy some craft supplies and spend the rest of the week on my couch making xmas gifts.

RealMoneyIssues
09-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Work as usual for my, just may not be flying TDY on Wednesday... Oh, well, more time at home instead of travel :)

James48843
09-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Clean out the frige at work, do final time and attendance report, put "Thanks for calling. I will be out of the office till the clowns in DC come up with a compromise" on both my voicemail and e-mail, and then send out an email blast to the 20 companies I am responsible for and let them know they cannot continue to function as normal- due to congressional dysfunction.

Then I may go fishing.

Haven't been fishing in a long time.

Viva_La_Migra
09-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Go to work. Deport a few people. Call it a day. Just another day.

Might need to draft a letter to my creditors, apologizing for not being able to pay them until the government budget issues are resolved. Maybe look into bankruptcy attorneys.

Birchtree
09-29-2013, 04:13 PM
I've got 13 dividends to be reinvested - a slap on the back would be welcomed. Remember, most dividends are forever.

DreamboatAnnie
09-29-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm Going to work. Will not be affected by this one...but in years past, have gone through them all going back to 1986 and did not get paid until a budget or CR was passed. The longest shut down lasted 3 weeks but it did not bother me only because I had a few credit cards and cash on hand to make it through, and I had no children. I was not at all worried....because every time Congress had done this in past, they always gave you retroactive pay..so you were basically off without actual effect if you had the cash to float your way.

That said, the atmosphere has changed...this one maybe different ...I hope they give retro pay for all that are affected. What makes me think there is a change is the following: I've never seen Furloughs like what we have seen this year...absolutely unheard of unless an agency was going to be closed. Also think about how there are no colas. Again so odd...they should have provided at least a small one each year. There have been no budgets for years now...Congress is not performing its most important and basic function!! Also, It would appear Congress does not appreciate or respect the Federal workers. So while I still have faith that all will turn out well, I appreciate the fear out there...again there needs to be an outcry from Federal workers to Congressmen and to news outlets.

Handballer
09-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Times like this, I would like being a FED worker.

mick504
09-30-2013, 01:39 AM
That is a great quote...wealth and wants...Mick

mick504
09-30-2013, 01:40 AM
I plan to check my bank acct and see if my pension has been posted by the Bank! Hopefully it's there...my wife's BD is the next day...duh!

burrocrat
09-30-2013, 06:42 AM
i think i'm going to visit a few cash machines today while the debit card still works. it occurs to me that all electronic transactions are cleared through the federal reserve, which with a name like federal means it's probably subject to a federal shutdown too. what if all the card readers stop working tomorrow when the lights go out and there is nobody home to collect the swipe fees? also, my order for another months worth of mre's looks like it went through this morning so i hope that gets here in a few days, you can't eat a credit card. well you can, but it's not very good for you.