PDA

View Full Version : New Fund?

NASCOE_BENEFITS
06-30-2005, 07:37 AM
TSP Executive Director Gary Amelio told the board last week that he had recently met with Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, to share his thoughts on the TSP and the proposed introduction of a real estate investment fund in the Thrift plan. The National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts—and many in Congress—have supported the introduction of a REIT fund. The TSP board and agency officials oppose such a fund.

Voinovich serves as the chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Subcommittee on Oversight of Government Management, the Federal Workforce, and the District of Columbia. That subcommittee oversees the TSP.

Amelio said that he told Voinovich of the opposition to the REIT fund and while the senator did not reveal his opinion on the proposed fund, he listened carefully to the board's points.

Saul thanked Amelio for carrying the board's message to Voinovich.

"Before you do something like this, you should think it through very, very carefully," Saul said. "This is not just something to take lightly, adding new plans."

teknobucks
07-04-2005, 11:11 AM
my vote is no on reits 4 tsp......would rather see a few short funds established forC, S, and I funds.

present timetsper's can only trade one way:X

tekno

yeskevin
01-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I doubt TSP would ever offer a short fund. Personally, I have a hard enough time deciding to get in or out, let alone to short or not short. I work for an agency that allows up to put part of our money in TSP and part in a privately run 401k. The funds available are also indexes. However, we have the added option of an SP value fund, SP growth fund, as well as NDX. Likewise, in lieu of the S fund, we have a separate small and midcap fund. Otherwise, a similar offering. A REIT fund seems to be a knee jerk reaction to what’s working now. I would rather see TSP offer an equity income index fund (the baby boomers are going to want dividend stocks as they near or enter retirement), a natural resources index fund, and or a small/mid-cap / emerging market international stock or bond fund before a REIT fund. What I think TSP fails to understand is the better the fund selection; the more likely retirees will leave their money in TSP when they leave their position.