PDA

View Full Version : Market Timing

tsptalk
05-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Mike Causey of Federalnewsradio.com (http://www.federalnewsradio.com/index.php?nid=7)is not a big fan of market timing. If you read his article he makes us sound like a bunch of fools. He calls us "losers."

The premise of the article and the audio file seems to be if you are timing and missed the 30 best market days of the past x many years than you are only doing as well as a savings account and are better off leaving your account alone.

My response to that is, if you are a market timer and you missedthe 30 best markets days and somehow managed to be in on the 30 worst market days, as they assume, you better find another hobby. ;)

Ibelieve timing is not for everyone. I also believe uninformed market timers can do poorly. But that's what this site is about, informing the TSP participants. Of course we also have the longer term market (http://www.tsptalk.com/longer_term.html)allocation suggestions for those who don't want to move as often.

Tom

05-05-2004, 03:49 PM
I've been called a day trader, wow, who would have thought that...not me...a day trader...losing money...not me...I'm making money.

TRAVELER
05-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Same here RETIRE RICH :^ And who made Mike Causey an authority on the stock market lol lol not bragging---and i would say a little luck and trying to be informed has helped me---BY THE WAY THANKS TOM!!!!!!!i'm up 12.4% TOTAL---MINUS MY CONTRIBUTIONSsince 1st of march----hmmmmmm makes me think where would i be if i followed his advice

TRAVELER
05-05-2004, 04:44 PM
AM 20 C 30 S 50 I TODAY AND TOMMOROW BUT HAVE THIS UNEASY FEELING THERE ARE BEARS LURKING ON THE HORIZON

GTO1970
05-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Well, here's what I have to say about it!

I consider myself a hard nose long termer in TSP on a very long road trip. I've never been to where i'm heading and but, I hear its very nice and enjoyable when you there! We all know the name of this little town called Retirement. I've been driving this road journey for about 14 years now and just about halfway there and be very lucky so far. Everyday I drive up and down hills, in valleys and around curves. It has been a pleasantjourney so far but, one thing I hate are those huge pot holes and hitting them! Each time Isee lots $$$$go out the window. This really slow me down on the travel time. Then one day I pick this hitchhiker named Big TOM, a real nice guy and he had a Web knapsack full of advice.As we travelled a bit down road we both spotted a huge crater pot hole in the road and I yelled to Big TOM "Hang on this one is going to hurt!"and just before we were about to hit it, BigTOM Screamed "YOU FOOL" and he grabbed the wheel and steered me around the hole. "WOW" He saved me $$$$, travel time and a small piece I call early retirement!
Who cares about how 30 bestdays?

I say "A Stitch in Time Saves Nine"

GTO:s