PDA

View Full Version : Show-Me Memorial

burrocrat
08-05-2013, 07:24 PM
the tsp community has collectively contributed about $200 for a memorial for our friend Mike Stark. what do you think is the best use of those funds?

RealMoneyIssues
08-05-2013, 07:28 PM
the tsp community has collectively contributed about $200 for a memorial for our friend Mike Stark. what do you think is the best use of those funds?

As a former band nerd, I vote for the HS Jazz Band...

Maybe they can buy an instrument for someone to use...

burrocrat
08-05-2013, 07:57 PM
my son is in little league so i know much it meant when someone bought his team a new set of catcher's gear and a team equipment bag. i only have one kid but as a parent can not imagine having to pick one child's interest over another. maybe i'm being unrealistic but $100 is a lot of money to me. i don't think either organization would be offended by a 'small' donation. i vote split between the two.

nnuut
08-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Send it to his wife.

jpcavin
08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Agree with norm. Send to wife.

tsptalk
08-05-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't know. It would be easy, but sending cash doesn't feel right to me.

tsptalk
08-05-2013, 10:22 PM
What about finding a nice image of Mike (with his bees or whatever) and blowing it up and putting it in a nice frame?

Scout333
08-05-2013, 10:49 PM
my son is in little league so i know much it meant when someone bought his team a new set of catcher's gear and a team equipment bag. i only have one kid but as a parent can not imagine having to pick one child's interest over another. maybe i'm being unrealistic but $100 is a lot of money to me. i don't think either organization would be offended by a 'small' donation. i vote split between the two.

Sounds like a good plan to me! That is what Mike requested!

tsptalk
08-05-2013, 11:14 PM
maybe i'm being unrealistic but $100 is a lot of money to me. i don't think either organization would be offended by a 'small' donation. i vote split between the two.
Yeah, $100 each is better than the $75 each we had the other day. :)

jpcavin
08-05-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm ambivalent about this. Whatever the majority decides is fine. That frog on the Lilly pad that Tom did for another previous fallen member was really nice. Something along that line. A gift that his family can cherish for years to come.

tsptalk
08-06-2013, 12:31 AM
That frog on the Lilly pad that Tom did for another previous fallen member was really nice. Something along that line. A gift that his family can cherish for years to come.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe something bee-related for show-me? Here's what we had given Spaf" while he was sick...

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/site-news-announcements/7529-sad-news.html

grandma
08-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Mike was doing a lot of work/things around the house, their property. It is possible that as his illness became more apparent & disabling, that some things on their agenda were scratched. Could we ask his wife, Christine, if there is something tangible/in particular, she and the sons would enjoy in the years to come? Maybe something started but not finished?
As for the memorial requests, I plan on sending separately, will draw straws to decide which one, I guess.... when the next check arrives middle of the month.

nnuut
08-06-2013, 08:56 AM
That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe something bee-related for show-me? Here's what we had given Spaf" while he was sick...

Yep that was a perfect gift for our friend Spaf, I still miss his logic.

burrocrat
08-07-2013, 07:27 PM
well, it looks like that's all the input we are going to get. it sounds like most folks would prefer or be fine with a more personal item delivered directly to family. if somebody wants to take that bee by the stinger and run with it the go for it, come up with something and arrange contact/delivery.

if nobody can or will then there's always the band or ball thing and i could help with that.

tsptalk
08-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I knew about show-me's politics and investing strategies but not much about his personal life, so I'm at a loss. I knew one of his son's played baseball and guitar. I knew he was a beekeeper. That's about it.

Maybe the $100 to each of those memorials would be best.

grandma
08-07-2013, 08:57 PM
That would be easiest - but first - maybe checkout & possibly commission our metal worker to make something?
Shoot - now I am embarrassing myself -:embarrest:- he has posted some articles that his son, a journalist, has had published. But, is it Kevin?
I might remember it later. he has posted photographs....
And hopefully, I haven't mixed up 2 or 3 fellows into one person! :rolleyes:

Aha! it is KevinD....
--but there is still the possiblity of a tree/plant?

grandma
08-07-2013, 09:15 PM
But, if we do the memorials split, we would be honoring each of the boys....

sstasel
08-08-2013, 12:13 AM
That frog on the Lilly pad that Tom did for another previous fallen member was really nice. Something along that line. A gift that his family can cherish for years to come.

Was looking around and found something that might be a fit: a bee bath (http://goffcreekpottery.com/catalog/bird-baths/), or a bee planter (http://goffcreekpottery.com/item/napoleon-bee-planter/). If there is anyone who knows him, maybe they could chime in.

burrocrat
08-08-2013, 07:31 AM
all great ideas, every one of them, but it occurs to me that we are rapidly approaching the time for action and getting further from the zone of introspection. these things tend to have a time-sensititve element to them. now i'm no grief counselor, but several practical concerns apply in this sitaution that we should at least consider:

1) no one has spoken up about having an established personal connection with the family. is it appropriate to track somebody down you don't know during a time of grief and impose yourself into the situation? sure, it could be done, but should we do that? i've never been accused of being a stalker (well, once, but it was a lie!) and i ain't about to start now.

2) many married couples don't always share each other's every single enthusiam and have their own separate interests. gotta have a hobby. it's quite possible mrs. stark has a melissophobia and can't stand bees. in fact, she may be looking forward to finally being able to enjoy the backyard without fear and is at this moment arranging to have the hives shipped to nome, alaska where they may lead a more approriately short and dormant honey making cycle.

3) mrs. show-me may not have green thumb and could instead actually experience anxiety when the mother-in-law comes over and comments on how stark and bare the landscaping is.

bottom line? who knows? do you know the family and want to spearhead that contact and effort? enough of the pacing the kitchen and wringing hands thing. it's time to poop or get off the pot i say. this is why i never get invited to speak at funerals.

grandma
08-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Lisa Leppert, Mike & Christine's pastor's wife, will check with Christine this afternoon on her outlook . Right now she is tied up with 'mom's day out' but will talk with Mrs Stark afterwards.:)

grandma
08-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Mrs. Stark is quite appreciative that the TSPers would think of this. She will get back to us with her thoughts.:)

burrocrat
08-08-2013, 07:35 PM
thanks grandma, someone had to do it.

tsptalk
08-13-2013, 11:25 PM
We have decided to send the collected donations via check to Mike's wife, Christine.

If anyone still wants to contribute, you can go to TSP Talk - Remembering Show-me (http://www.tsptalk.com/show-me.html) to make a donation via PayPal. We have about $200 right now.

I will get the check in the mail by next Monday morning (I'll be out of town for a few days this week and into the weekend.)

Thanks

tsptalk
08-14-2013, 04:37 PM
reminder

nnuut
08-15-2013, 08:21 AM
reminderReminder

tsptalk
08-16-2013, 01:02 AM
From Mike's wife, Christine...

Thank you so much and please tell everyone Thank you so much for your prayers, kindness, thoughts and generosity to Mike and his family. I will never forget you all. I trust you are all awesome to be so important to Mike. GOD Bless you all Christine Stark

tsptalk
08-16-2013, 02:58 PM
One more bump in case anyone missed Christine's message that posted late last night. It got buried pretty quickly. (see prior post)

tsptalk
08-19-2013, 10:35 AM
OK, I just sent Christine a check. Thanks for all of your donations!

We collected $255 from 17 people. PayPal deducted $12.51 in fees for a total of $242.49. I wrote the check for $300. Here is what Christine plans to do with the money...

I am purchasing a oak tree this fall to be planted at Durham, ball park in memory of Mike. It will have a plaque also with what we decide to write on it. He is very well known here in the community. So I could use that money towards this if you would like. Christine Stark

Thanks again!

We'll miss you, Mike.

burrocrat
08-19-2013, 10:52 AM
that's not a place on my usual beaten path anymore. but sometime i will be in the neighborhood and i'm going to go visit that tree. thanks tsptalkers.

grandma
08-19-2013, 04:56 PM
OK, I just sent Christine a check. Thanks for all of your donations!
We collected $255 from 17 people. PayPal deducted $12.51 in fees for a total of $242.49. I wrote the check for $300. Here is what Christine plans to do with the money...
Thanks again!
We'll miss you, Mike.
Thank you, Tom, for doing the work, and for filling in for a nice even number. Are you open for some who hadn't committed yet to help fill in that gap?
...and I am glad for a tree!

nsurf9
08-31-2013, 03:24 PM
I just found out about Show Me (Mike Shark) last week. I am truly sadden by the hearing of his passing. I will make a donation, if it not too late.

My thought is give the money to his wife (along with his login id and password), so that she might learn of the many friends at TSP Talk that will also miss him.

And, offer that she is welcome to keep the small token of our deepest sympathy for her and her family's enormous loss, or make a donation on Mike's behalf, as he would have deemed worthy.

tsptalk
09-03-2013, 10:06 AM
FYI, I sent Christine the check on August 19. As of this morning, it has not yet been cashed. I emailed her last week to ask if she had received it OK, but I have not heard back yet. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

tsptalk
09-05-2013, 10:17 PM
I heard back from Christine and she did get our check. This is tough to read. I feed so bad for her.

Good evening, I do not check my mail like I should, I'm sorry.

I actually deposited your check today. I have had it for awhile. I sent you a Thank you note, you should be getting that soon.

Your right, it is a very hard transitioning time. Its a shock to our life. We miss Mike so much. If you could die from a broken heart, I would not be here.
Again, Thank you all for your kindness and generosity during the passing of Mike.

Take Care Christine Stark xo

tsptalk
09-06-2013, 04:07 PM