PDA

View Full Version : I Fund down 1.164:>(.....

tgrmike
06-09-2005, 01:49 PM
should equal about -18 cents.

06-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Can we start a lottery to bet on this?

:(Sign me up for down .22 cents.

tgrmike
06-09-2005, 02:12 PM
me thinks 18 or less.

Wheels
06-09-2005, 03:08 PM
It'll be less. If you reacall yesterday the EAFE posted a gain of about .3% but the I fund dropped 10 cents. That's because Morgan Stanley posts the EAFE results at about 2:30 pm. Shortly thereafter the dollar spiked big time. Yesterdays EAFE did not reflect the spike in the dollar but the I fund did. Today's EAFE results reflects the rise in the dollar both today and yesterday afternoon. The I fund had already reflected some of that. My very rough estimate is the I fund will be down somewhere around a nickel.

Dave

06-09-2005, 06:01 PM
It was UP .05.

and the index was down over 1%?

tgrmike
06-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Hmmmmmmmm!

06-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Tgr they must read this board.

They were very defensive and wanted questions in writing.

Hindsight. Should of called and reported back.

-----------------

Anyway. If any one has any questions please put them down on this thread.

I will draft a letter to their office with all our questions and concerns. Post it here and then mail it to them.
:D

troxel
06-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Those are staggering departures from the fund index. I just so happen to time it right buy high and sell low. yesssh.

06-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Good going!!!!!!!!

I fund is not an investment it is a lottery.

I am betting those still in I fund will take it pretty hard tomorrow with the "creative accounting".

There is a good .20 cents out there they need to get back to smooth the week out.

:shock: I will probably not invest in the I fund again. What is the point?

If I want to gamble I will go to Vegas.

troxel
06-09-2005, 11:26 PM
For a large fund were .01 percent can translate into a lots of money I find it hard to believe that some entity has the daily preogative to manipulate the rate. This could present an incredible opportunity for corruption and manipulation.

Rod
06-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Just goes to show how fluid it really is, and it is more luck than strategy if we hit on a good day.

tgrmike
06-10-2005, 05:54 AM
You telling me that you could not talk to a funds manager? Call New Orleans and ask to speaik lto the Director (he's in the I Fund and wants answerws himself), he gave me the number and a person to talk with. However, I've lost name and number. Will try and find when I get back. First Funds manager I talked with was a lady, nice but couldn't answer all my questions. Second person was a man, same guy the Director from NO gave me.

06-10-2005, 07:45 AM
The person I talked to wanted the questions in writing and they would reply back.

Funny same day I called for the first time I tracked they paid more then the index.

:)Not sure if that means anything but interesting.

However sitting in G fund just moving from I fund was a warm fuzzy.

Index down nearly 1.2% and the fund goes up. :?

I have decided never to invest in I fund again. Stupid, probably but I just can not invest that way anymore. :(

BArREttLEEMAKINIT
06-10-2005, 08:32 AM
I know no one is really complaining hard about gaining .05 vs. losing .18 in the I fund, but a good short term investor :cool: is really getting taken to the cleaners when the funds adjust themselves seemingly randomly like this. Yesterday is a prime example:

Bonds (F fund) tracked on this board closed at 103.00, down .01 (-0.01%). With the F fund valued at 10.66, it's a no-brainer that there should be no change. However, it goes down .01. Costly at that level, but we can say, 'Maybe the F fund was actually at 10.655 and the .01% dropped it just far enough to make it drop a penny.'

Since we all know what the I fund did (+.05 when it should have -.18), today, with Japan up 1+% and the European markets looking fairly strong, should be a strong gain for the I fund...but will the TSP funds reflect this? Does an investor have to figure in whether or not the TSP funds will reflect their respective market activities? :%

Should they have to? No.

The point is, based on the market activity, switching from the F fund to the I fund in this instance, should be a good move. But based on TSP, it very well may not be. It seems like what we need is a TSP sentiment indicator :end:instead of the EAFE, S&P 500, Bonds and Wilshire 4500 market trackers.

06-10-2005, 08:37 AM
I agree. Index funds should track the index. The creative accounting and anti-timing stuff is BS.

You are like the seventh person who first post is complaining about the I fund.

It seems, Tom is controlling it to drum up business :P.

I just can not invest in the I fund anymore because it is not an investment it is a roll of the dice now.

They adjust it now two or three times a week.

Before it was Thursdays from my tracking.

I tried to time it this week and bail on Wednesday and got burned.

:(They must be getting a lot of complaints. I called yesterday and I could see the eyes rolling back in their heads through the phone line.

Just be a sheep, I guess. :?

You have to ask yourself. Do you want your social security account in this scheme.

Because pensions will be a distant memory when we are set to retire.:shock:

The_Technician
06-10-2005, 10:06 AM
EFA was a 3:1 stock split yesterday....see Yahoo.....

BArREttLEEMAKINIT
06-13-2005, 09:40 AM
BArREttLEEMAKINIT wrote:
I know no one is really complaining hard about gaining .05 vs. losing .18 in the I fund, but a good short term investor :cool: is really getting taken to the cleaners when the funds adjust themselves seemingly randomly like this. Yesterday is a prime example:

Bonds (F fund) tracked on this board closed at 103.00, down .01 (-0.01%). With the F fund valued at 10.66, it's a no-brainer that there should be no change. However, it goes down .01. Costly at that level, but we can say, 'Maybe the F fund was actually at 10.655 and the .01% dropped it just far enough to make it drop a penny.'

Since we all know what the I fund did (+.05 when it should have -.18), today, with Japan up 1+% and the European markets looking fairly strong, should be a strong gain for the I fund...but will the TSP funds reflect this? Does an investor have to figure in whether or not the TSP funds will reflect their respective market activities? :%

Should they have to? No.

The point is, based on the market activity, switching from the F fund to the I fund in this instance, should be a good move. But based on TSP, it very well may not be. It seems like what we need is a TSP sentiment indicator :end:instead of the EAFE, S&P 500, Bonds and Wilshire 4500 market trackers.
For all interested, it turned out to be a bad move:

F fund went down .01:{ when it should not have changed,
I fund went down .08:{ when it should have gone up .01:}.

As investors, we're already taking a risk on what we think the market is going to do. And in bringing those investment options to us, TSP shouldget something.:^ But when that begins skewing the returns on a regular basis (at least in this case 3 days in a row), making the investor blind as to how the fund will perform, something's not right.:U