PDA

View Full Version : Mark Forums Read link - Broke

RealMoneyIssues
03-27-2013, 08:05 PM
It only gives:
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php

Which doesn't work and gives:

Invalid Forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Both the link to mark read when you search and the one under the forum actions dropdown...

nnuut
03-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Same thing happened to me! TOM!!

RealMoneyIssues
03-28-2013, 06:38 AM
Seems to be working this morning...

nnuut
03-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Seems to be working this morning...
I reported your post yesterday, Tom probably fixed it last night, thanks!

nnuut
03-28-2013, 08:05 AM
I reported your post yesterday, Tom probably fixed it last night, thanks!
But I'm still getting that error, no big deal Tom will get to it soon.

vBulletin Message Invalid Forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/sendmessage.php)

tsptalk
03-28-2013, 09:01 AM
I'll get on it. Just seeing this. Sorry.

tsptalk
03-28-2013, 09:38 AM
I didn't experience the problem, but I will change one of the settings that stores the "read" info. It is supposed to work better but it may put more pressure on the processors. If things slow down because of it we'll go to plan B. Let me know. Thanks!

RealMoneyIssues
03-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Broke again

PLANO
03-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Me too, same error message.

tsptalk
03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Broke again
Are you talking about the link under "Forum actions" in the horizontal menu near the top? It seems to work for me but I will try it occasionally to see if I can reproduce the error.

Thanks.

RealMoneyIssues
03-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Are you talking about the link under "Forum actions" in the horizontal menu near the top? It seems to work for me but I will try it occasionally to see if I can reproduce the error.

Thanks.

Both places, under the menu and the direct link in the search window.

nnuut
03-29-2013, 09:21 AM
No workie for me. Win 7, IE9.

tsptalk
03-29-2013, 11:03 AM
I still can't reproduce it but I see others reporting a similar problem on the VB site. I will do more research.

tsptalk
03-29-2013, 11:45 AM
I have to run, but one request...

When you point to the "Mark Forums Read" link, what URL do you see? (I know it should show in the bottom left on the IE browser).

Something like... http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?do=markread&markreadhash=1364574159-80cbeaad1f562e7de0f571dc56ea5b9a4937cc2a (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?do=markread&markreadhash=1364574159-80cbeaad1f562e7de0f571dc56ea5b9a4937cc2a)

PLANO
03-29-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php

That's what I get.

nnuut
03-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Right click, properties I get http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php
Win7 IE9.

tsptalk
03-29-2013, 06:56 PM
I am wondering if it is as security setting in the browser or you anti-virus software, because I see something like this...

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?do=markread&markreadhash=13645741 59-80cbeaad1f562e7de0f571dc56ea5b9a4937cc2a (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?do=markread&markreadhash=1364574159-80cbeaad1f562e7de0f571dc56ea5b9a4937cc2a)

... where all that noise is part of a security token.

Still looking.

tsptalk
03-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Something else to try...

Go to the bottom left of the forum (above the S&P chart), and you will see a drop down menu where you can select the forum layout.

- Choose "Original" fom that menu, and when the new page loads, please check that link URL again.

Thanks.

nnuut
03-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Something else to try...

Go to the bottom left of the forum (above the S&P chart), and you will see a drop down menu where you can select the forum layout.

- Choose "Original" fom that menu, and when the new page loads, please check that link URL again.

Thanks.
Do you mean vB4 Default I don't see Original?

nasa1974
03-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Both work for me. Under the top blue banner "Forum Action" if I click on "Mark Forums Read" it shows all forums have been read. Inside the Forum under "Forum Tools" when I click on "Mark the Forum Read" it shows all of them have been read. Hope this helps.

PLANO
03-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Seems to be working for me now, Tom. Thanks!

tsptalk
03-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Do you mean vB4 Default I don't see Original?
It should be the 4th one listed under standard styles. I'll refresh the forum cache to see if that helps.

It sounds like some are seeing the correct link and others are not, which is strange since we're all using the same code, and that makes me think it is a browser setting issue.

Still looking into it. Thanks for your help.

RealMoneyIssues
03-30-2013, 01:42 PM
still broke, different machine, just upgraded Firefox to v12 and I haven't customized it yet...

tsptalk
03-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Is that using the "original" layout I created (see above (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/report-problems/15932-mark-forums-read-link-broke.html#post400725)posts)?

nnuut
03-30-2013, 10:01 PM
I only see 3 standard stiles!

tsptalk
03-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Interesting. Have you tried ctrl-F5 to clear your system's cache?

The "original" is new and only there for testing so I'll take it down soon, but you should see it now if you are seeing the most current pages.

nnuut
03-31-2013, 11:49 AM
I tried the F5 thing and it WORKED!!:D

tsptalk
03-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Cool, so you saw the "Original" layout. Did the "Mark Forums Read" link work correctly there? And, if so, is it still not working using the "TSP Colors" layout?

nnuut
03-31-2013, 02:46 PM
No, I still don't see the "Original" layout but when I logged on about 5 minutes it worked again!:D
I only see these styles, I'm using vB4.
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/attachments/report-problems/23129d1364698883-mark-forums-read-link-broke-standard-stiles.jpg

RealMoneyIssues
03-31-2013, 06:58 PM
It worked for me today, and I didn't do anything to fix it on this computer. I don't know why or what, but I guess I am ok for now. I will try it from work tomorrow.

RealMoneyIssues
04-01-2013, 08:10 AM
It worked for me today, and I didn't do anything to fix it on this computer. I don't know why or what, but I guess I am ok for now. I will try it from work tomorrow.

Works from work now...

RealMoneyIssues
04-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Its back... Is there somewhere else that I can do the mark forums read thing because the link being broke on the menu bar is getting old. I have had to click the link twice (error first time, good second, missing the sessionid part) for months (if not nearly a year) and now the mark forums read is once again just linking to http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php

If it wasn't for the stupid sessionid, I could make a hard link...

Yes, I have logged out and tried both default and tsp colors themes...

Posted this in Firefox, editing in IE, the link is the same in both browsers... should I try Safari (joke, I don't do Apple)?
(Note: nevermind, my IE wouldn't let me save the changes, so I am back to FF)

tsptalk
04-30-2014, 03:15 PM
I will re-upload the forumdisplay.php file to see if that helps.

Frixxxx
04-30-2014, 03:23 PM
If you click:

Forum (lighter bar)
Fourm Actions (darker bar)
Mark Forums Read (first in drop down)

It should work.

I have the same problem with the other link:blink:

RealMoneyIssues
04-30-2014, 03:49 PM
If you click:

Forum (lighter bar)
Fourm Actions (darker bar)
Mark Forums Read (first in drop down)

It should work.

I have the same problem with the other link:blink:

Thats what I have been doing for months (the mark forums read worked from an open thread too, just not from the search list), but now it is also showing that same forumdisplay.php link... Someone marked mine read because I only had a few new ones on this recent refresh, but I can't do it myself... Not sure whats up this time...

RealMoneyIssues
05-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Well, at least I can mark the forums read on Tapatalk... Off to work, have fun y'all :)

nnuut
05-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Mark Forums Read works for me with WaterFox & IE 11.

nasa1974
05-02-2014, 05:30 AM
It wasn't working for me last night but it worked fine this morning.

RealMoneyIssues
05-02-2014, 10:56 AM
It wasn't working for me last night but it worked fine this morning.

It is now working for me like it has for the last many months... still can't do it from the search list, but I can do it from a thread and the main forum screen...

WooHoo, thanks Tom!!! (I think, did you actually change anything?)

RMI

RealMoneyIssues
05-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Something else to try...

Thanks.

I also do not have "Original" but I tried all the non-mobile layouts and all of them produced this link:
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?do=markread&markreadhash=

Without the super secret NSA hash code, it won't do the markread function...

The link from a thread or from the forum main screen includes that hash, but not from the search screen. Its been like this for a very long time (since the last major upgrade I believe)...

Note: Interesting, it seems a few replies in this thread just "disappeared"???

RealMoneyIssues
12-09-2014, 09:32 AM

Its back... Is there somewhere else that I can do the mark forums read thing because the link being broke on the menu bar is getting old. I have had to click the link twice (error first time, good second, missing the sessionid part) for months (if not nearly a year) and now the mark forums read is once again just linking to http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php

If it wasn't for the stupid sessionid, I could make a hard link...

Yes, I have logged out and tried both default and tsp colors themes...

tsptalk
12-09-2014, 11:51 AM
OK, here's the deal. This problem is caused by the "plug-in" program vbSEO, which is supposed to help with search engine placement, along with a few other features. I can easily deactivate this but it could cause some link problems within the site, of which I can deal with as I find them. Whether the search engine help is actually working is debatable.

The biggest problem with disabling vbSEO, is that is the program that gives us the "Like" features in the posts. Disabling the program means no more Likes, and no more displaying the Likes Given / Received.

Personally I never use the "Mark Forums Read" feature but obviously some of you do. So it will be a matter of which is more important to us.

Maybe we should take a vote.

RealMoneyIssues
12-10-2014, 03:40 AM
OK, here's the deal. This problem is caused by the "plug-in" program vbSEO, which is supposed to help with search engine placement, along with a few other features. I can easily deactivate this but it could cause some link problems within the site, of which I can deal with as I find them. Whether the search engine help is actually working is debatable.

The biggest problem with disabling vbSEO, is that is the program that gives us the "Like" features in the posts. Disabling the program means no more Likes, and no more displaying the Likes Given / Received.

Personally I never use the "Mark Forums Read" feature but obviously some of you do. So it will be a matter of which is more important to us.

Maybe we should take a vote.

Not that big of a deal, but I couldn't even mark the forums read at home (can at work, but didn't know that when I posted this)...

So, if you don't mark the forum read, how do you keep up with new posts or do you just read every post?

Frixxxx
12-10-2014, 04:18 AM
Not that big of a deal, but I couldn't even mark the forums read at home (can at work, but didn't know that when I posted this)...

So, if you don't mark the forum read, how do you keep up with new posts or do you just read every post?
I can't do one of the two ways....
The one I can do is under Forum, Forum Actions, Mark Forums Read

Under New Posts, Mark Forums Read, that one doesn't work.

I usually read all the threads I want and then mark the rest as read, mostly Newsfeeder, and some video threads. But yes, I use it for cleaning up at the end of the week.

RealMoneyIssues
12-10-2014, 05:51 AM
I can't do one of the two ways....
The one I can do is under Forum, Forum Actions, Mark Forums Read
I can only do this when reading a thread

Under New Posts, Mark Forums Read, that one doesn't work.
I also cannot do this

I can also do it from the main forum screen, but only if its been refreshed recently (apparently the hash codes expire)

burrocrat
12-10-2014, 06:27 AM

i view the message board this way on my phone browser:

when i log in, in the right hand column any new posts since my last visit have a little blue thingy next to them. during a browsing session i remember the ones i've read, well, because i read them.

also, i remember the ones i didn't read because i chose to not read them for some reason. whether it is because of topic or poster or whatever, if it still shows a little blue thingy next to it and i remember i don't want to read that topic or any drivel by that poster, then i usually don't click it, probably for the same reasons i didn't click it the first time.

there are some threads i just dismiss out of hand and don't even consider reading because they almost always contain something obnoxious, crude, or offensive. but that's just me, i sort them manually with my cranial meat computer instead of relying on technology to make make and catalog my options for me. also, i don't always pick my underwear up off the floor or do the dishes before i go to bed because i was blessed to not be one of those type of folks that always need everything just so and perfect and it doesn't bother me too much.

jpcavin
12-11-2014, 12:35 AM
ithere are some threads i just dismiss out of hand and don't even consider reading because they almost always contain something obnoxious, crude, or offensive.

[emoji23]

RealMoneyIssues
12-11-2014, 04:07 AM
[emoji23]

Like me and his thread... :blink: