PDA

View Full Version : Survivor Tactic

mlk_man
05-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Thought this was interesting.....
M_M

How to Start a Fire Using a Pop Can and a Chocolate Bar

http://www.mercola.com/images/newsletter/2005/05/11/Cokecanpolishing1727.jpgApparently it's possible to start a fire with an aluminum soft drink can and a chocolate bar. The original concept behind the experiment was to discover unique and unusual ways of making fire using everyday objects that one might be carrying around, should they be stranded in the wilderness.

While no tools are necessary, sunlight and some tinder are needed to get the fire going. Now, on to the main ingredients ...

The Can

The key to the experiment is the bottom of the soft drink can, which is ideal for reflecting and concentrating sunlight and the sun's energy. In its usual condition, the can is not shiny enough to concentrate the sun's rays to ignite tinder, therefore it must be polished. Enter the chocolate bar.

The Chocolate Bar

Chocolate does an excellent job of polishing the bottom of the can so it is shiny enough to function as a reflector.

How? The process is to smear some chocolate on the bottom, and then use the wrapper or whatever is available as a "cloth" to do the polishing. It will most likely take anywhere from half an hour to an hour or more to completely finish the process. (Any type of chocolate will do, though a purer piece is preferable.)

A telltale sign that the can is polished enough is when an object is placed near the bottom and a clear, though distorted, image is seen.

The Fire

The next step is to hold a piece of suitable tinder (such as a fragment of tinder fungus) at the focal point of the can bottom, or about 1-1.25 inches away from the center of the bottom. It is important to orient the bottom of the can toward the sun.

After a very short time in the bright sun, the tinder fungus will be smoldering, which then should be transferred to a tinder bundle and blown into flame. The result: A blazin' fire.

pyriel
05-11-2005, 10:42 PM
What about this?

Believe it or not you can read it. http://www.gawab.com/rich//smileys/image17.gif

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

Show-me
05-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Cool!

mlk_man
05-12-2005, 05:44 AM
I kenw all tohse Elngish clessas wree jsut a wsate of tmie!