PDA

View Full Version : HOUSE VOTES TO EXTEND PAY FREEZE

James48843
02-15-2013, 11:21 AM
News Flash-

The House just voted to extend the federal pay freeze for all of 2013, and override the proposed 0.5% raise in March, leaving pay frozen instead.

The House measure was approved on a 261-154 vote.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll044.xml

More:
http://www.federalnewsradio.com/177/3226150/House-votes-to-extend-pay-freeze-for-federal-workers

sniper
02-15-2013, 11:26 AM
what do you expect, republicans hate the feds, and since they control congress.... well, I'm not surprised.

remark
02-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Anyone know when the last time members of congress received a raise?

sniper
02-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Anyone know when the last time members of congress received a raise?

they make more money than a gs-15, and get paid to do nothing but argue, kick, and scream like little children. they don't need any raises

Buster
02-15-2013, 11:59 AM
also consider all the time they take off when they are not in session..leeches

Warrenlm
02-15-2013, 12:58 PM
I guess another view might be that the majority of the House, generally Republicans, are seeking any way they can to lessen the current budget deficit and growth of the debt, now. But no one else wants to play in the here and now. I haven't thought them any more vindictive than the profligates are that are doing what Obama blamed Bush for, taking a credit card from China. So far, the prevailing view of "a balanced approach" has only had substantial effect on the deficit ten years from now. It does appear the national debate has moved to accepting the continuing deficits with only nibbling at them. Even Buffett originally said debt of 200% of GDP was ok. When interest rates are not able to be artificially depressed, what will be squeezed out? All the carrier groups more than those in refit? I wish two sides would tango and find a real balanced approach to lessen the rate of growth of the budget, increase the rate of growth of the economy, and stop playing to their constituencies.

sniper
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
The problem I have with congress, is that the federal employees are always the first target, and our budget is basically a drop in the bucket when you compare it to everything else. 11 billion over 10 years or so? what is that going to accomplish? That's like lowering your $100 electric bill by 50 cents a month. The difference this makes in the federal budget will be too small to be noticed.

I'm all for doing my part to decrease the budget, but at least tackle the budget fairly and look at the areas where the money is being the most spent / wasted. If they want the budget cuts in the hundreds of billions, they need to cut from bigger programs.

Frixxxx
02-15-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm all for doing my part to decrease the budget, but at least tackle the budget fairly and look at the areas where the money is being the most spent / wasted. If they want the budget cuts in the hundreds of billions, they need to cut from bigger programs.
When you are furloughed 1/day/week for 22 weeks and lose 20% of your pay and TSP benefit, remind yourself, you are doing your part....

sniper
02-15-2013, 01:21 PM
yeah yeah, hate on. that's all you can do right now. sorry your boy didn't get elected lol

rktect1
02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
You all need to pay your fair share.

sniper
02-15-2013, 01:29 PM

and that's fine, but I want to see real cuts, to bigger programs. 11 billion over 10 years is NOT going to cut it, and was nothing more than a political posturing move.

Frixxxx
02-15-2013, 01:36 PM
remember, when they lower our pay, they lower the taxes we pay...

yeah yeah, hate on. that's all you can do right now. sorry your boy didn't get elected lol
My candidate didn't make the race :cool: LOL

James48843
02-15-2013, 01:58 PM
and that's fine, but I want to see real cuts, to bigger programs. 11 billion over 10 years is NOT going to cut it, and was nothing more than a political posturing move.

$11 BILLION is less than HALF the cost of a single new Aircraft Carrier - (which costs $26 billion)
New Aircraft Carriers Less Crew More Cost | Face the Facts USA (http://www.facethefactsusa.org/facts/New-Aircraft-Carrier-Does-More-with-Less-Crew/)

Yep- they gotta find someplace to actually cut some meat, AND raise some taxes on corporations like GE that find ways to legally completely circumvent paying any federal taxes. I hear FACEBOOK made a billion dollars, and didn't pay a dime in taxes either. How do we let corporations get away with junk like that?

More torches and pitchforks.

Frixxxx
02-15-2013, 02:04 PM
More torches and pitchforks.

22421 I'll bring the torches!

nnuut
02-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Can I Help You'll? 22422

rktect1
02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Its been like three years now for the pay freeze right? Well that is three drops in the bucket. Sometimes you have to squeeze blood from a turnip. I feel for you on a certain level. Then again, I did not vote for the guy who started the pay freezes. I've only gotten COLA 3 out of 4 years now. About an average of less than 2%

Buster
02-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Can I Help You'll? 22422

Damn Georgians..caint even talk wright:rolleyes::laugh:

PLANO
02-15-2013, 05:57 PM
If the President ever gets serious about making real changes to the entitlement programs, where most of the money is spent, these smaller savings ideas will likely fall off the table. So far, his only idea is the typical liberal idea....more taxes.

James48843
03-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Senate Democrats agree to republican proposal, and unveil a new BIPARTISAN funding bill last night, that CONTINUES THE FEDERAL PAY FREEZE THROUGH 2014.

Senate budget bill extends federal pay freeze to end of 2013 - FederalNewsRadio.com (http://www.federalnewsradio.com/1106/3247877/Senate-budget-bill-extends-federal-pay-freeze-through-the-end-of-2013)

Yep- we're all going to continue to help balance the budget on our backs. here we go again.

Viva_La_Migra
03-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Senate Democrats agree to republican proposal, and unveil a new BIPARTISAN funding bill last night, that CONTINUES THE FEDERAL PAY FREEZE THROUGH 2014.

Senate budget bill extends federal pay freeze to end of 2013 - FederalNewsRadio.com (http://www.federalnewsradio.com/1106/3247877/Senate-budget-bill-extends-federal-pay-freeze-through-the-end-of-2013)

Yep- we're all going to continue to help balance the budget on our backs. here we go again.

Could be worse. They could decide to cut our salary across the board.

nnuut
03-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Could be worse. They could decide to cut our salary across the board.
Instead they are going to raise your TAXES temporally by 20%. I think that might be cancelled.

rktect1
03-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Stop voting for people with your heart. Emotions should be dropped prior to the ballot box then vote with your wallet/finances.

I really do feel for some of you. Mostly the ones who made the right choice but got effed anyways.

law87
03-12-2013, 09:48 AM
I for one honestly dont care if they cut 20% of my military base pay, as long as the money really help the country. I think if we all accept that our country is in a debt crisis and willing to give a little for a better cause then it might be just in a step of the right direction.

What I cant fathom is how those all those congressman can talk about or cut everyone pay when they havent even taken consideration to cutting their pay check. They work less than 80% of the country, taking the most vacation and yet they get paid the most to have their thumb up their ass "trying" to do what's right for the country.

Bquat
03-12-2013, 09:59 AM
I feel if the goverment cuts everything it pays out by 5% prices would drop 5%. Reverse cost of living. Each time we got a cola pay raise insurance and other things we paid for went up. Cut cola but keep step increases for the guys. Step increases were the real raises.

k0nkuzh0n
03-12-2013, 11:27 AM
I feel if the goverment cuts everything it pays out by 5% prices would drop 5%. Reverse cost of living. Each time we got a cola pay raise insurance and other things we paid for went up. Cut cola but keep step increases for the guys. Step increases were the real raises.

Doesnt cola = cost of living adjustment? Which would imply it would be trialing actual cost of living, not leading as u suggest

Bquat
03-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Doesnt cola = cost of living adjustment? Which would imply it would be trialing actual cost of living, not leading as u suggestSorry but yes. If cutting goverment spending doesn't lower prices as the ecconomy goes down some with it. IE: less money to spend on gas and everything else prices should drop. Trickle down ecconomy.

Bquat
03-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Here's an example on government increases cause prices to increase. I worked in a remote location for DOD. We had van pools where everyone would give $55.00 a month. So the goverment started to subsidize van pools at $137.00 a person. The regular van pools were outlawed and the new van pools asked for $35.00 a person to help with higher gas prices. When gas prices went back down the extra money was keep in an account forthe driver for future unforseen costs. So the goverment saved you $15.00 and paid $82.00 more.Where the extra money go? Into the profit of the van providers under gov. contract.