PDA

View Full Version : Invitation to Meet the 'Lifecycle Funds'

05-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Hellow All;

Follow up to the New Fund:

Investing on autopilot. Putting investments on cruise control. Choosing a new TSP fund to help navigate the road to retirement.

Those themes and variations will be part of a communications effort this summer aimed at explaining "lifecycle funds" to government employees enrolled in the Thrift Savings Plan, TSP officials told representatives of federal and postal unions and employee and retiree associations yesterday.

Gary A. Amelio , executive director at the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, said the TSP would spend about $10 million, or roughly $3 per participant, on the communications effort. The L funds, as they probably will be called, will be launched in July or August, he said.

Amelio predicted that TSP participants would benefit from the campaign to explain the importance of diversified investments and balanced accounts, including employees who decide against signing up for one of the L funds.

The board plans to offer five L funds, which will automatically change asset allocations and rebalance accounts to reflect market trends. In theory, the L funds will help employees achieve the right mix of investments in the TSP's four index funds and government securities fund, while taking on no more risk than necessary. Over time, and especially as investors near the time when they will start drawing down savings, portfolios will shift from aggressive to conservative investments.

Under the board's plan, the TSP will start with these asset allocation options:

· Current Income Fund, for participants in or near retirement. This L fund will focus on preserving an employee's savings. It will allocate 74 percent of an employee's account to the government securities fund (G fund), which never loses money, and 6 percent to the bond index fund (F fund). The rest will be split among the TSP's three stock funds.

· 2010 Target Date Fund, for participants who plan to retire in three to nine years. This fund will focus on moderately long-term growth, allocating 43 percent to the G Fund, 27 percent to the common-stock index fund (C) and 15 percent to the international stock index fund (I). The remainder will be divided between small and medium-size company stocks (S) and the F fund.

· 2020 Target Date Fund, for participants who plan to retire in 10 to 19 years. This fund will concentrate on moderate to high growth. It will allocate 34 percent of an account to the C fund; 27 percent to the G fund; 19 percent to the I fund; 12 percent to the S fund; and 8 percent to the F fund.

· 2030 Target Date Fund, for participants who plan to retire in 20 to 29 years. This fund will strive for high, long-term growth and capital appreciation. It will allocate 38 percent to the C fund; 21 percent to the I fund; 16 percent to the S fund; 16 percent to the G fund; and 9 percent to the F fund.

· 2040 Target Date Fund, for participants who will retire in 30 or more years. It, too, will focus on high growth and will allocate 42 percent to the C fund; 25 percent to the I fund; 18 percent to the S fund; 10 percent to the F fund; and 5 percent to the G fund.

The asset allocation will change over time, essentially moving participants from fund to fund. As the 2010 fund merges into the Current Income Fund, the TSP will add a 2050 fund.

Each L fund will be rebalanced daily to reflect changes in the markets, and each L fund asset mix will be reallocated quarterly, Amelio said.

TSP officials worry that too many participants are locked into one or two funds (41 percent of TSP assets are in the C fund and 40 percent in the G fund), and they hope that adding the L funds will make it easier for participants to diversify their investments.

Amelio said that the thrift board will not impose any restrictions on investments and that L fund participants will retain the right to use any, some or all of the other TSP funds for retirement savings.

Barbara

Spaf
05-10-2005, 01:06 AM
Barbara

Is FERS all that great? After 20 years they now need retirement fund protection with the new "L" funds?

Thanks, your posting just confirmed....................

Rgds! :) Spaf

alaskanmoosehunter
06-28-2005, 04:10 AM
2020, 2030, 2040 L Funds?

Ha Ha Don't make me laugh.....At the rate the Dictator Rummy (Did I call him that:x) is trying to contract out our jobs and inplement the new NSPSwe'll be lucky if there is any Federal Employees Left to have a TSP!:@

puertorico
06-28-2005, 02:20 PM
One of the TSP's more innovative plans
calls for the mailing of DVDs to the 3.4
million participants and to federal agency
representatives. The DVDs will allow civil
service and postal employees to learn
about the L funds in their homes with
their spouses. The DVDs also will be
sent to troops overseas, giving them
an easy way to learn about L funds
during their spare time.

Wao dvd ! Nice idea ! The L fund coming soon !

grandma
06-28-2005, 02:23 PM
do the `aginers' have to pay for this??

puertorico
06-28-2005, 02:35 PM
aginers what means aginers ?
That remembers me... Badges ? I don need not stinging badges :D

Coming Soon !

The Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, which oversees the TSP, plans to spend $10 million to get the word out on the L funds. Board officials have made offsetting cuts in the agency's budget to cover the costs of the rollout campaign.

Gary A. Amelio , the board's executive director, and Pamela-Jeanne Moran , director of benefit services, told the board last week that they plan to add information to the TSP Web site so that participants can see summaries of the funds and then click to more detailed explanations.

grandma
06-29-2005, 03:25 AM
puertorico wrote:
The Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, which oversees the TSP, plans to spend $10 million to get the word out on the L funds. Board officials have made offsetting cuts in the agency's budget to cover the costs of the rollout campaign.

Puertorico - thanx - this answers my very obtuse question - I was concerned the money was going to be taken out of our funds, - a sleight-of-hand type thing - :shock:

'course - I don't know what they mean by `offsetting cuts' - do you have a guess on that?:?