PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis

mlk_man
05-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Arthritis isn't just painful, it's expensive. Nearly one in three adults suffer from it -- a number that has nearly doubled in the last 20 years. What's more, the cost to the U.S. economy is between $86.2 to $124 billion a year. While it is often referred to as a single disease, it is actually a blanket term for about 100 medical conditions that can occur to varying degrees in both children and adults -- and it's becoming a bigger problem every day.

Most doctors bounce their patients from one prescription pain reliever to another, which offer just temporary relief from painful symptoms for a nice chunk of change. Recently, as Cox-2 inhibitors such as Vioxx and Celebrex have come under scrutiny for safety, arthritis sufferers are feeling the squeeze even more.

I certainly don't want to minimize the solution, but I think it's important to note that a little fish oil could go a long way in helping relieve some of this misery. And a new study shows that adding some olive oil to the mix can help even more.

Dr. Wright has discussed the health benefits of fish oil many times. Research is proving that the imbalance of omega-3 to omega-6 essential fatty acids is indeed a source of many ills. Most of us have a ratio of about 20:1 omega-6 to omega-3 from our regular diet. For arthritis sufferers, particularly those with RA, this is a big problem since omega-3 is the side of the EFA equation that reduces inflammation.

That's why a recent study showing that a combination of fish oil and olive oil supplementation offered an even greater benefit than fish oil alone could be such an important finding. In the study of 43 patients, a statistically significant number of them who took both fish oil and olive oil supplements reported experiencing less morning stiffness and an increased ability to open doors using a doorknob, bend over to pick up dropped items, get in and out of a car, and turn faucets on and off.

These activities may sound insignificant, unless you can't do them without great pain -- then you realize they are not small accomplishments at all.

Dr. Wright has also covered a number of other natural arthritis pain relievers over the years, such as selenium -- which is found in garlic and onions -- ginger, zinc, copper, and niacinamide.

Yours in good health,
Amanda Ross
Managing Editor
Nutrition & Healing

Flax seed oil,which iswhat I take,also has a goodratio of omega-6to omega-3.

M_M

Dogdaddy
05-09-2005, 04:47 PM
M_M:

Thanks for the Arthritus tips.....Cod Liver Oil works for me (Gel Caps only, and try not to burp after taking them!). For instant pain relief try Joint-Ritus Ointment or Biofreeze Gel - both are excellent, but please don't touch any "private parts" after applying Joint-Ritus to your hands/knuckles...you'll get a most unwelcome surprise !

DD

mlk_man
05-10-2005, 06:06 AM
Guess I shouldn't use that Join-Ritus Ointment then.............:P

I got my mother to start taking Cod Liver oil after her stroke. She said it also helped with her joints. My family is from Texas and about the only fish they ever eat is catfish.

M_M

Dogdaddy
05-10-2005, 08:44 AM
mlk_man wrote:
My family is from Texas and about the only fish they ever eat is catfish.

M_M

Hey Milk:

I'm originally from Oklahoma and we used to eat lots of catfish down there, as well. This particular one was fun to catch, but a bitch to clean !

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/graphics/catfish1.jpg (http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/n_2004_catfish.htm)

I switched to trout when I moved up here to Colorado...They're a lot easier to handle! :^

DD

mlk_man
05-10-2005, 09:15 AM
WOWZA! That's a big one for sure! Do some trout fishing here in Maryland also.Have gotten addicted to rockfish too. Good stuff!

M_M

Dogdaddy
05-10-2005, 12:26 PM
What's a Rock Fish ... Internet search didn't help much ? Only pictures I turned up looked like Striped Sea Bass (Stripers)...They're certainly fun to catch and are being stocked in a lot of land-locked lakes in the Southwest and West. They get huge.

DD

mlk_man
05-10-2005, 12:41 PM

mlk_man
05-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Exactly! http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/mdmanual/01glance/html/symbols/fish.html

Some really good eatin'!!! Tastes like chicken!!! :P

M_M

05-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Celebrex is a mircale drug.

mlk_man
05-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Does that look like Hawaii in the background? Hmmmmmmm

Timer
05-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Does it help you Greg? Are you concerned they'll take it off the market? My wife was on Bextra.

mlk_man
05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Timer wrote:
Does it help you Greg? Are you concerned they'll take it off the market? My wife was on Bextra.
Hope nothing happens to her Bill:

http://www.bextra-side-effects-lawsuits.com/

Timer
05-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Yeah, no joke.