PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon furloughs could start mid-April?

jpcavin
01-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Has anyone heard about this? Anyone have an opinion on the likelihood that it will or won't happen?
Pentagon furloughs could start in mid-April - Leigh Munsil - POLITICO.com (http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/pentagon-furloughs-could-start-in-mid-april-86725.html#ixzz2J18jeuOQ)

RealMoneyIssues
01-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Already getting memos on this...

Sequestration = Furloughs

1 day a week over 22 weeks

coolhand
01-31-2013, 01:26 PM
It is not known that this will in fact happen, but many are starting to become convinced that it will.

jpcavin
01-31-2013, 01:29 PM
So what is your opinion?

RealMoneyIssues
01-31-2013, 01:33 PM
It is not known that this will in fact happen, but many are starting to become convinced that it will.

Sequestration or Furloughs?

jpcavin
01-31-2013, 01:36 PM
The furloughs. Do you all think the furloughs will come to pass?

sdouglas3
01-31-2013, 01:49 PM
We were told the Air Force would not have any furloughs. But, who knows. I work at Tinker AFB.

RealMoneyIssues
01-31-2013, 02:25 PM
The furloughs. Do you all think the furloughs will come to pass?

If sequester happens, yes.

jpcavin
01-31-2013, 02:28 PM
If sequester happens, yes.

Ok..do you think sequestration will happen?

RealMoneyIssues
01-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Ok..do you think sequestration will happen?

That's a much tougher question. Too many moving parts.

Gut feeling, no. But that is all it is, a gut feeling.

jpcavin
01-31-2013, 02:32 PM
That's a much tougher question. Too many moving parts.

Gut feeling, no. But that is all it is, a gut feeling.

Man, I feel like I pulled all your teeth. :laugh:

RealMoneyIssues
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Man, I feel like I pulled all your teeth. :laugh:

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/willy_nilly.gif

Frixxxx
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM
I believe a form of sequestration will occur. There will be a middle ground on law and that will mean some agencies will take a cut. But Navy pointed the finger at contractors first, civilians second, I can't tell you the havoc it is causing in the "emergencies" being declared to frontload money into projects.

RealMoneyIssues
01-31-2013, 02:42 PM
I believe a form of sequestration will occur. There will be a middle ground on law and that will mean some agencies will take a cut. But Navy pointed the finger at contractors first, civilians second, I can't tell you the havoc it is causing in the "emergencies" being declared to frontload money into projects.

Dang Navy...

jpcavin
01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Dang Navy...
It seems the navy is always first to make headlines.
If we all get furloughed, I think we should designate Norms place as the ""Soup Kitchen" of choice. :D

ILoveTDs
01-31-2013, 03:11 PM
We are being told to prepare to be ferloughed 1 day a week for 22 weeks, and on the other hand unemployment benefits can not be requested until we miss 22 days of work, but I'm sure that is just coincidence.

Furlough Guidance (http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/furlough-guidance/)

Viva_La_Migra
01-31-2013, 04:35 PM
We are being told to prepare to be ferloughed 1 day a week for 22 weeks, and on the other hand unemployment benefits can not be requested until we miss 22 days of work, but I'm sure that is just coincidence.

Furlough Guidance (http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/furlough-guidance/)
If you need to make some money on the side, I'd be glad to sign you up to sell Amway!:blink:

ILoveTDs
01-31-2013, 07:18 PM
If you need to make some money on the side, I'd be glad to sign you up to sell Amway!:blink:

Tom, you letting your site turn into a pyramid scheme? :toung:

All jokes aside, I don't think we'll get furlough and am not stressing it. If we somehow do get furloughed, 2 pay periods max.

I think all the stuff I'm getting down my chain and we all either are or will soon, is just propaganda. These pentagon "leaks" are deliberate to try and get the troops mobilized to help the DoD stop sequestration. DoD doesn't want to lose the money, plan and simple.

Boghie
01-31-2013, 08:42 PM
I think sequestration will occur.

I think the bean counters in the Pentagon will initiate furloughs - probably one per pay period - just to show how 'serious' the cuts are. We watched that happen in the BRAC. The Navy, in particular, tried to play politics and lost some nice facilities. So, I expect them to play the '"you cuttin' me too deep, you cuttin' me to da bone!!!" act. Expect contractors to be sliced and diced right away. Projects to be delayed.

Eventually, when the money doesn't appear to materialize from Bernanke's Black Helicopter than the DOD will make the smart cuts. Some of us (maybe me) will wash out of gubmint service during that time slice. That will make the cuts easier.

Folks, there ain't any money. Every part of the gubmint will be sliced and diced. We should have been managing this over the past five years - letting attrition work its magic. We borrowed to cover day to day expenses for those five years - now comes the knife... Expect far more.

ILoveTDs
01-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Well one of us will be right and one of us will be wrong.

What I do know for sure is neither one of us knows whats going to happen for sure, we just both have our opinions .... kinda reminds me of the stock market.

Sensei
02-01-2013, 05:39 AM
My wife's got friends that work "below the line" in Hollywood (think 6 figure salary for doing hair and make-up :rolleyes:). Their daughter's school district has been doing furlough days sporadically for the last couple years. They're always posting happily on FB about the fun stuff they do on furlough days. Yay!

Makes me sick.

coolhand
02-01-2013, 05:43 AM

Yep. I'm in that boat. I'm thinking we're in for some pain.

Frixxxx
02-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Navy just shutdown all videos, guess the cost savings have started.

Sensei
02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
I believe this is the thread for wild rumors that Fab1 referred to in James' other thread. I appreciate the facts, but also need a place to vent.

I can't believe how many teachers I work with who are expressing mild pleasure over the possibility of 22 furlough days and a 20% cut in salary. Some are teacher spouses with kids already grown and they have so much money between their double salaries and living quarters allowance that they wouldn't miss 20%. Me, I'm the sole earner in our family, and have two kids with college 10-15 years on the horizon. One lady suggested it would be great to have the extra time off so she could pick up a part-time job. Where's the logic in that? Why do I want an extra day off a week and 20% less salary so that I can work some lousy job with hourly pay and no benefits? Give me the damn job I signed a contract for! One is all I need, I just need it 100% of the time.

Anyway, frustration doth boil over in my mind. Hopefully it's all for nothing. But, please, rumors on.

Fran1775
02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Sensei I am completely in agreeance with you!

I don't believe that our little 1 day off Is going to save the government from going down the toilet. They need to get off of their butts and get a deal made and quit kicking the can down the road.
This isn't doing anything for your kids or mine that are your kids age. We are both in the same boat And I think our kids will end up paying for the dead instead of going to college. It is not my intention but I can see it happening. :confused:

sniper
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
damn, i guess i'm gonna have to go back to being a chippendale dancer on fridays

Weather
02-06-2013, 06:33 AM
My agency (within DoD) is as quiet as a church mouse. They usually communicate these issues to the workforce to quell rumors. If they decide to to furlough a day - give me Friday or Monday.

Keep the info flowing folks - it's helps to hear how the rest of the agemncies are dealing with the sequester.

Boghie
05-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Apparently, DoD employees will get their notification this coming week...

I have read multiple articles and blog posts about how the Sequester has not affected the military. I would tend to agree. Me thinks their is significant bloat in the Agency. And, that comment does not limit the thought that there is significant bloat elsewhere, eh. To date, the DoD has been the ONLY agency undergoing 'budget' cuts. Actual cuts in spending. But, we should.

However, folks out there do not understand that the employees have yet to be affected.

POLITICAL: Did The Pentagon Exaggerate The Effects of Sequestration? (http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/169650/) Why should they be different from the rest of the government.

My take: Since we’ve seen that the government can take a 2.3 percent cut without anybody noticing, why not go for a 5% across-the-board cut next year?

Now, that is true as far as it goes. But, the salary cuts have yet to take place. We can think of the reduction from 22 days to 11 days of furlough in one of two (at least) ways. Maybe the DoD is still attempting to play the 'Cut To The Bone' game. They may have thought that nobody would actually cut their budget more than it has been cut. Basically Politics. Or, it could be the normal incompetence of Senators and National Politicians actually running an agency as an executive. 'The Money Will Come from Somewhere!!!'. It always does when you can run deficits for a half century. So, our Senator - slash - Secretary of Defense might be trying to outwait the Sequester. However, there probably is not a money tree and our cash flow is blown. So, now we little peons have to take a 20% pay cut when we would have had to deal with a 5% cash flow issue. Dumb and dumber...

Frixxxx
05-27-2013, 11:53 AM

Now, that is true as far as it goes. But, the salary cuts have yet to take place. We can think of the reduction from 22 days to 11 days of furlough in one of two (at least) ways. Maybe the DoD is still attempting to play the 'Cut To The Bone' game. They may have thought that nobody would actually cut their budget more than it has been cut. Basically Politics. Or, it could be the normal incompetence of Senators and National Politicians actually running an agency as an executive. 'The Money Will Come from Somewhere!!!'. It always does when you can run deficits for a half century. So, our Senator - slash - Secretary of Defense might be trying to out wait the Sequester. However, there probably is not a money tree and our cash flow is blown. So, now we little peons have to take a 20% pay cut when we would have had to deal with a 5% cash flow issue. Dumb and dumber...
Let's face it, when they chip away at the employee, everyone is bearing the load (fair). When you go after specific programs, you are targeting districts (unfair). So, keep cutting the pay, you'll get early retirements and a % of disenfranchised quitters. Then they will be forced to go after the programs, but not during "their" office term.

Frixxxx

nasa1974
05-29-2013, 08:16 AM
23932 Defense Begins Delivering Furlough Notices (http://www.govexec.com/defense/2013/05/defense-begins-delivering-furlough-notices/63800/?oref=top-story)
Hundreds of thousands of civilians are expecting 11 furlough days beginning on July 8. May28 22 Comments (http://www.govexec.com/defense/2013/05/defense-begins-delivering-furlough-notices/63800/?oref=top-story#disqus_thread)

Who Is Subject to Defense Furloughs? (http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2013/05/who-subject-defense-furloughs/63812/?oref=river)A look at the web of exceptions to mandatory unpaid leave.
May 28 4 Comments (http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2013/05/who-subject-defense-furloughs/63812/?oref=river#disqus_thread)

Storify: Defense Civilians Take Furlough Notices to Twitter (http://www.govexec.com/technology/2013/05/storify-defense-civilians-take-furlough-notices-twitter/63806/?oref=river)On social network, employees expressed dismay at the news.
May 28 6 Comments (http://www.govexec.com/technology/2013/05/storify-defense-civilians-take-furlough-notices-twitter/63806/?oref=river#disqus_thread)

RealMoneyIssues
05-29-2013, 08:22 AM
The Civilian I work for got her letter just now. Nothing surprising, but at least it is official.

ILoveTDs
05-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Just got my letter

WorkFE
05-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Same

PLANO
05-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Sorry guys. :(

Boghie
06-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Got my letter.

I'm a bit lucky. The DoD furlough starts for me on the July 19 pay date. My car payment ends in August. I will be able to pre-pay the final two payments and free up $200 per pay period. Because of our wonderful progressive tax system I will get to cut my Federal and State taxes by more than half. I will get decent savings from slicing the boat anchors of Social Security, Medicare, and the FERS pension as well. Taken together, my outbound cash flow will be reduced $460. That leaves me about $160 short.

Now, the above assumes I make up the difference in my 401(k) (that is, TSP) for the reduction in contribution and match. If I allow that to fall with the ratios and remove my Schwab allocation than I am even. That will hurt, but I really don't like to invest new money in toppy markets anyway. The bummer will be if we have a nice and investable correction - oh well...

I will not have to dump my lavish lifestyle.;)