PDA

View Full Version : Indian Food

mlk_man
04-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Dear Reader,

I have a friend who has suddenly become fanatic about Indian cuisine. She's taking a cooking class, buying all sorts of Indian cookbooks, and searching every gourmet shop in the area for the exotic ingredients she can't get at the supermarket. I mean, I love Indian food too, but I couldn't help wondering why she was so into it so suddenly.

Then she confided in me. Her mother was just diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. She lost her grandmother to the disease just four years ago, and now it seems her mother may follow at an even younger age.

It took me a minute to make the connection from her concern about her mother to her newfound infatuation with Indian food. Then, I remembered curcumin -- one of the main ingredients in curry, which is a mainstay in many Indian dishes.

Also known as turmeric, this deep yellow spice is though to have numerous beneficial health effects, including protecting against Alzheimer's Disease. In fact, in India, where curcumin is used regularly, the rates of Alzheimer's Disease are much lower than in Western countries. It is one of those ancient culinary traditions that could rapidly become cutting-edge medicine if recent studies continue to provide the back-up.

Apparently, curcumin contains anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and even anti-carcinogenic properties that rival foods such as berries, spinach, garlic, and sweet potatoes. According to scientists, because of its low molecular weight and polar structure, curcumin can penetrate the blood-brain barrier more easily than many other potential Alzheimer's treatments. This is important because it can deliver the anti-inflammatory benefit where AD patients need it most -- the brain.

But curcumin's anti-inflammatory benefits make it useful for all sorts of other conditions as well, not just Alzheimer's: Arthritis, cancer, heart disease, and many other health problems have all been linked to inflammation, and that means curcumin could help alleviate them.

If you like Indian food and have any sort of inflammatory condition, include it in your diet as often as possible. But there's no need to limit the use of curcumin to Indian cooking. You can sprinkle it on meats and fish before grilling or while marinating. You can also purchase curcumin supplements.

What is...curry?

Curry is actually a broad term that has been applied to many traditional spice combinations. The word "curry" means "soup" and can be traced to the Tamil language in South India. Originally, curry was considered a miraculous way to achieve eternal youth and longevity. Only later was it used as a seasoning.

Today, many countries spanning Asia, India, and Europe use various curry combinations. The ingredients depend on the flavor, color and healing properties the cook (or healer) is trying to achieve. The list of spices found in curry often include: curcumin/turmeric, saffron, paprika, chili (red pepper), white pepper, black pepper, ginger, garlic, mustard, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, fennel, and allspice.

Yours in good health,
Amanda Ross
Managing Editor
Nutrition & Healing