PDA

View Full Version : Making Money When the Market Is Mistaken

04-12-2005, 08:08 AM
No one ever went broke underestimating people's intelligence, H. L. Mencken observed. Among managers of a group of mutual funds offered by J. P. Morgan, a school of thought holds that there is good money to be made underestimating people's capacity to act rationally.

The funds are run according to principles of behavioral finance, the logical bedrock of which is that people are illogical, yet predictable. Adherents of this approach do not ignore the nuts and bolts of business - profits, sales, cash flow and so forth. But they contend that investors consistently err in evaluating such information, and that astute portfolio managers can profit from the ways that others make mistakes.

"Traditional finance theory tells us markets are efficient and rational," said Silvio Tarca, one of the managers of the Morgan funds. "Behavioral finance tells us that human psychology affects investment decisions. Irrational behavior gives rise to market inefficiencies, and our investment process tries to capitalize on those inefficiencies."

The five Morgan portfolios sold under the Intrepid brand all outperformed the Standard & Poor's 500-stock index over the 12 months through March. The flagship Intrepid America, for instance, gained 11.1 percent in the 12 months through March, compared with a 6.7 percent gain for the Standard & Poor's 500-stock index. Intrepid Contrarian gained 8.1 percent in that period.

Contrarian, America and two other Intrepid funds, Value and Growth, were introduced two years ago. The fifth in the series, Intrepid European, is nearly five years old. Through their life spans, all have handily beaten the S.& P. 500.

But there can be a gap between theory and practice, he cautioned, and he said the Morgan funds needed a longer track record before their managers' ability could be gauged accurately. "You really can't judge these on a short horizon," he said.

Behavioral finance theory has gained currency among academics and economists as an alternative to the efficient-market theory, the belief that investors are rational and that the price of an asset is fair and accurate and reflects all available information about it.

"Essentially we use a behavioral screen, then spend a lot of time looking at fundamentals," Mr. Potter said. "We're taking stocks apart and looking at them more than technical analysts do."

Spaf
04-12-2005, 08:20 AM
WW

J.P.Morgan. Arn't these the folks that.......

Update of March 14, 2005: From the WSJ’s pre (WorldCom) trial run-down on JPMC: From 1999-2001, J.P. Morgan counted former WorldCom Chief Financial Officer Scott Sullivan, who pleaded guilty to fraud charges, as a member of its 31-member "national advisory board” ... The risks to J.P. Morgan stem mainly from a landmark December ruling by U.S. District Judge Denise Cote that has forced Wall Street firms to revisit their underwriting procedures. Under her decision, the banks bear the burden of proving they conducted adequate ‘due diligence’ before WorldCom's bond offerings and sufficiently disclosed the risks to investors.” By coincidence, Judge Cote is also hearing ICP’s FOIA cases against the Federal Reserve about the withholding of lists of subprime and payday lenders enabled by banks (regarding JPM Chase’s enabling of dozens of such high-cost payday lenders and other fringe financier, see below in this Report).

04-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Yes Spaf, they are the same. Are you implying that because they were involved with the WorldCom scandal they shouldn't be considered as an investment possiblity?

I am by far no market guru but JP Morgan is the nation's second-biggest financial-services company so I think it would be difficult for a serious investor to avoid them, one of their partners or one of their subsidiaries.
Not that I'm recommending the funds referred to in the article. I don't know that much!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/W_W/yellow_guy_crazy_sm_clr.gif

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/W_W/Smileys/Bubbles/stay_cool_red.gif