PDA

View Full Version : Happy Columbus Day.

James48843
10-08-2012, 06:48 AM

nnuut
10-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Is Colonialism bothering you again James?

burrocrat
10-08-2012, 09:07 AM
we could call it native american day since they were so welcoming and taught us how to grow corn and threw us a big feast. then we took all their stuff and desecrated the sacred corn to feed our horseless carridges.

rcknfrewld
10-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Elizabeth Warren is protesting by working 1/32 of the day

Frixxxx
10-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Columbus day is not about Columbus. It's about the exploration and discovery. And every civilization has done what we have done...Even the Native Americans waged war against each other for their lands.

James48843
10-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Columbus day is not about Columbus.

Ok- I give up.

If Columbus Day is not about Columbus, What is it about then?
Columbus Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day)

36 USC Sec. 107 01/03/2012 (112-90) -EXPCITE- TITLE 36 - PATRIOTIC AND NATIONAL OBSERVANCES, CEREMONIES, AND ORGANIZATIONS Subtitle I - Patriotic and National Observances and Ceremonies Part A - Observances and Ceremonies CHAPTER 1 - PATRIOTIC AND NATIONAL OBSERVANCES -HEAD- Sec. 107. Columbus Day -STATUTE- The President is requested to issue each year a proclamation - (1) designating the second Monday in October as Columbus Day; (2) calling on United States Government officials to display the flag of the United States on all Government buildings on Columbus Day; and (3) inviting the people of the United States to observe Columbus Day, in schools and churches, or other suitable places, with appropriate ceremonies that express the public sentiment befitting the anniversary of the discovery of America. -SOURCE- (Pub. L. 105-225, Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1256.)

and why do we call it "Columbus Day", if it is not to honor Columbus ???

nnuut
10-08-2012, 06:44 PM
It's all about politics and Money, why do you thing Columbus could convince Queen Isabella to finance his voyage, to get to India and bring back SPICES, they were worth their weight in gold, but they found something they weren't counting on.

PessOptimist
10-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Columbus day is not about Columbus. It's about the exploration and discovery. And every civilization has done what we have done...Even the Native Americans waged war against each other for their lands.

That is all beside the point. It is a federal holiday so therefore a paid day off. Common knowledge seems to be Columbus discovered Columbia so we get a day off. Columbia is apparently a small island in the Caribbean Sea. I do have to mention Leif Ericson, who was some guy who sailed a boat and Leif Erickson who was an actor who played a gun fighter, General, scientist and other stuff.

we could call it native american day since they were so welcoming and taught us how to grow corn and threw us a big feast. then we took all their stuff and desecrated the sacred corn to feed our horseless carridges.

Wrong European Colonizers in the wrong century burro. Everyone knows that Columbus, working with people in charge of various things at the time, brought ruinous fucation in the form of a devastating hurricane down upon the Island of Hispaņola, ruining the country of Haiti but apparently (according to the news media) leaving the neighboring Dominican Republic untouched.

Now, everyone got it straight?

burrocrat
10-08-2012, 07:28 PM
ok, i'm starting to get it now. where does the free blankets, small pox, and bison burger thing fit into this magical tale of exploration and discovery?

Frixxxx
10-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Ok- I give up.

If Columbus Day is not about Columbus, What is it about then?
Columbus Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day)

and why do we call it "Columbus Day", if it is not to honor Columbus ???
So you throw up a negative ecard and then defend anything said different about it......You don't have to give up, I do.

konakathy
10-08-2012, 08:13 PM
So let me get this straight: dude gets lost, found a place where people live, claimed it for Europe, then massacred and tortured thoudsands of native people, becomes a pimp for native women, and then paves the way for slave trading. He 'rewards' his sailors by giving them the native women to rape, and to show who was boss, he would make an example of a native by cutting of his hands, tying it around their neck and tell him to 'share the message'.

Nice guy we pay tribute to. Don't believe all the sugarcoated BS we learned in school. This is one paid holiday I would gladly give back.