PDA

View Full Version : Fish Oil Substitute

mlk_man
04-04-2005, 08:39 AM
For all those with an aversion to fish oil or fish oil supplements, and I know several....."ewww, i'm not gonna take fish oil pills, it'll make my breath smell fishy"........:oo

M_M

Dear Reader,

My brother has a thing about fish that rivals the senior George Bush's thing about broccoli -- he just hates it, plain and simple. As much as I've tried to get him to take Dr. Wright's fish oil recommendation, it falls on deaf ears. It doesn't matter that it comes in capsules, or that he doesn't have to taste the fish...I say the word "fish," and he's gone.

Well, a recent study gave me some hope for my brother. You see, he loves walnuts. And it turns out that, like fish oil, 1.5 ounces of walnuts as part of a balanced diet every day can also reduce the risk of heart disease.

Walnuts help your heart for some of the same reasons that fish oil does. They contain the ALA, or alpha-linolenic fatty acid similar to that found in salmon. Diets rich in ALA appear to lower bad cholesterol, and can drop C-Reactive protein by as much as 75 percent compared to the standard American diet that is gravely low in ALA and other omega-3 fatty acids. C-Reactive protein may well be a better predictor of heart disease than cholesterol, which makes this study particularly interesting.

But you can do even better than eating handfuls of walnuts. You can also use walnut oil for your cooking, which would increase your ALA intake even further. And if you have the same aversion to fish oil as my brother, try a tablespoon of flaxseed oil instead -- in addition to the walnuts. Dark, leafy vegetables, canola oil, and eggs are also especially high in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. And make sure you add 400 IU of vitamin E when you add additional essential fatty acids to your diet or supplement regimen.

Yours in good health,
Amanda Ross
Managing Editor
Nutrition & Healing