PDA

View Full Version : Share Price via Allotment

CPT_Shane
04-03-2005, 04:53 AM
Hey everyone,

New guy here. I have a question concerning my allotment. My allotment is removed from my check one a month, as I am an active duty Army Officer. When it is deducted from my pay and goes into my TSP on the specific date, is that the share price I am charged for? Any help in explaining this would be great.

tsptalk
04-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Welcome CPT_Shane!

I have never found an exact answer to this question. My assumption is, and someone please step in here if I'm off base, that you get the prior COB price of the day the money is first put in there.

In other words if you get up on a Friday morning and your new money is there, you likely bought in on Thursday's COB prices.

Thanks for joining us!
Tom

coolhand
04-03-2005, 01:11 PM
tsptalk wrote:
In other words if you get up on a Friday morning and your new money is there, you likely bought in on Thursday's COB prices.

Thanks for joining us!
Tom
That's how it works for me. Welcome CPT_Shane!

CPT_Shane
04-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Tsptalk and coolhand,

Thanks a lot. I love the site! My next question would be:

Thinking long term here, wouldn't it be a good idea to go by the double cost averaging principle by staying 100% C fund during SP 500 declines, and then shifting 100% to the G fund on peaks, then back again to C fund when the share prices drop? Thus creating a profit per C fund share and allowing the opportunity to purchase more G fund shares with the profit created by the rise in share price in the C fund? Basically shifting 100% of your allotment and conducting interfund transfers between the C and G funds during peaks and valleys.Did that make any sense? Or does the military TSP only reflect profit annually? Or do you recommend staying 100% C fund over the whole long term? By long term I am suggesting 15 years or longer.

Tsptalk, I am curious as to what it is exactly that you do as a profession, because you obviously put a lot of time and resources into this site. I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

CPT Shane

CPT_Shane
05-31-2005, 03:51 AM
I guess my last question stumped everyone for over two months now? Or was I totally off base with my last post? Anyone have any input on my last post?

CPT Shane

Show-me
05-31-2005, 07:44 AM
CPT,

It’s a personal choice how you what to manage your account. TSPTalk is a sounding board but most will stop short of telling you how to manage your account. Buying low and selling high is everyone’s dream but harder to do than say. I missed the last rally and I am still feeling the sting so I am still learning and by no means am I an expert.

I personally have all my contributions going to the G Fund and then I can buy in when the market go’s down. Or at least when I think it will go down.

Show-me
05-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Cut and paste the post that has everyone stumped here and I'll give it a shot or PM me.

Birchtree
05-31-2005, 06:02 PM
CPT_Shane,

You have a good strategy, all you need are accurate pistols to do the trades.

Trading requires a good sense of timing, which requires a sense of history and market volatility. And it works best once you have a considerable accumulation of funds in your account.

I happen to be one of the few buy and hold guys on the board - and I'm basically a contrarian investor - I don't follow the crowd. Presently I'm sitting 100% C fund until the cows come home. The S fund currently is providing good relative strength - that is today -not an indication of performance for tomorrow or the next 2 years. The C fund in my opinion is primed to outperform the other funds. It would take more time to explain why - you can find the reasons if you explore some of my past posts.

Use your contributions to dollar cost average until you build a good balance - then get your pistols ready and try your luck. Until then be patient and ride the C fund up to $15.00 and beyond. Good luck

CPT_Shane
06-01-2005, 04:08 AM
Thanks a lot guys. Your insight was helpful--I appreciate it. Sounds like we think alike. I"ll definantly put your advice to work. Time to un-holster the "guns."

CPT_Shane

tsptalk
06-02-2005, 12:56 AM
CPT_Shane wrote:
Tsptalk, I am curious as to what it is exactly that you do as a profession, because you obviously put a lot of time and resources into this site. I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Sorry CPT, I missed this post in April....

I'ma computer programmer - for the gov't. I also own an art and antique gallery.