PDA

View Full Version : Sequestration

James48843
09-16-2012, 08:31 AM
White House released the OMB report yesterday- showing where the money would be cut in the event that there isn't a budget deal by the end of the year, and the republican House passed "Sequestration" kicks in.

I work for FAA- so I looked up FAA's numbers.

FAA's budget is on page 155 of the report- both operations and F&E budgets would get hit with the across the board 8.2% cut.

http://cdn.govexec.com/media/gbc/docs/pdfs_edit/091412cc1.pdf

That is definitely enough that layoffs of some kind- either short term, or longer, WILL be required.

How about your agency?

What are your odds of still having a job come January?

nnuut
09-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Jul 18 2012Thune, Sessions Praise Bipartisan House Passage Of Sequestration Transparency Act (http://budget.senate.gov/republican/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=9d77cafd-3582-48dc-a21f-f10e0f58a9e2)

WASHINGTON—U.S. Sen. John Thune (R-SD), Chairman of the Senate Republican Conference, and U.S. Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), Ranking Member of the Senate Budget Committee, today praised the House of Representatives’ passage of the Sequestration Transparency Act (H.R.5872) in a nearly unanimous bipartisan vote of 414 to 2. The Sequestration Transparency Act would require the Obama Administration to provide taxpayers and Congress with its plan for implementing the required sequestration cuts for defense and non-defense programs that are scheduled to occur on January 2, 2013.

alevin
09-16-2012, 10:38 AM
I like that the vote was so strongly bipartisan. Was there a requirement to produce the plan before the election? Word in my agency is of a continuing resolution for 6 months-which takes us through March...the market doesn't like uncertainty-is this vote an effort to increase certainty or decrease it?

Warrenlm
09-16-2012, 11:00 AM
and the republican House passed "Sequestration" kicks in. This seems to seek a reader to infer that the Republicans sought the mechanism of Sequestration and by extraction not the President. My recollection is that the President's men sought it to avoid having to reach any kind of agreement with the House majority prior to seeking reelection and the House went along. I seem to be hearing a lot of attempts to revise history while receptive minds are manipulated.

Khotso
09-16-2012, 11:26 AM
White House released the OMB report yesterday- showing where the money would be cut in the event that there isn't a budget deal by the end of the year, and the republican House passed "Sequestration" kicks in.

I work for FAA- so I looked up FAA's numbers.

FAA's budget is on page 155 of the report- both operations and F&E budgets would get hit with the across the board 8.2% cut.

http://cdn.govexec.com/media/gbc/docs/pdfs_edit/091412cc1.pdf

That is definitely enough that layoffs of some kind- either short term, or longer, WILL be required.

How about your agency?

What are your odds of still having a job come January?

Thanks for sharing James., I'm Interior -- same cut (8.2%). Looks like the cuts are pretty evenly distributed. So waht the heck was the point of this Transparency Act? The White House sequestration budget is exactly what the Sequestration Bill itself set out. Ergo, the Transparency Bill was just a "show"?

James48843
09-16-2012, 12:51 PM
This seems to seek a reader to infer that the Republicans sought the mechanism of Sequestration and by extraction not the President. My recollection is that the President's men sought it to avoid having to reach any kind of agreement with the House majority prior to seeking reelection and the House went along. I seem to be hearing a lot of attempts to revise history while receptive minds are manipulated.

History is what history is. That is a fact. The House passed sequestration after refusing to increase taxes in a compromise. That is also a fact. The President signed what the House passed, (and Senate, which can't move anything without Republican consent) so now it is law. This is the reality. Period.

Warrenlm
09-16-2012, 01:11 PM
On the face, you're illogical. The President needed to postpone reality until after November 2012. The Republicans had not been running from the fight and had already paid in the "press".

Check wiki. Budget Control Act of 2011 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_Control_Act_of_2011) And how the final deal transpired. One goes back to who broke a working deal.

What I still marvel at is a President of a government whose responsibility is protecting nation before spreading the wealth, equating the two.

tsptalk
09-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Is this thread about politics or how the budget cuts affect federal employees / miltary?

HookemDanno
09-16-2012, 01:34 PM
I vote that politics and budget are inseparable. I like across the board cuts to ALL agencies. Then it is not a mechanism to take from those who WORK and give to those who do not!!

tsptalk
09-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Thread Moved: http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/politics/13142-%2A-sequestration.html