PDA

View Full Version : Column on a National Sales Tax Proposal

Mike
04-01-2005, 04:04 AM
http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/will1.asp

Does anyone believe that this has a shot at overcoming the entrenched tax lobbyists?

Perhaps a better question is this: would such a system be more efficient than the current income tax system?

If the answer to the second question is yes, I'd say this is a good idea - as long as it is accompanied bythe repealing of the constitutional amendment that allowed the income tax in the first place. It would certainly put the brakes on the housing market, though...

grandma
04-01-2005, 11:17 AM
This sounds very fair. I am agreeable to figuring out the total cost of my expendidtures, and this tax looks like it will be the onlyexpense that doesn't have `hidden' costs I can't calculate.

How does this get past the lobbyists??? Do you think that if our elected officials found they could be forever free from those folks' obligations & start buying their own `extras', they would go for it?? ...like getting that unreachable leech off that part of your back that is hard to reach to scratch, (so the lobbyists do it for them.)

If all of our 4600 readers of tspalk.com wrote to their Washington people, would that make any kind of an impact?? I'm taking this information to work w/me this afternoon, and posting it.

W_W : I'll bet you have some dandy emoticons that would make this `fine reading"!!

:u

travllr
03-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Time is tough for investors to come by. Hate to tell you how woefully ignorant I was as to my rep's. (Can find them here: http://tinyurl.com/bgs6s )

The primary problem with the present system is that there is no incentive for the "political class" to get rid of complexity - because that is the stuff of which lobbyist deals are made - which, in turn, make the system more complex?! Still, the legislation is - amazingly enough - picking up co-sponsors, so apparently people *are* communicating with their legislators.

Happy to find your post here, as I just joined as a new member of TSP Talk.

Regards,
-trav