PDA

View Full Version : Profit Taking Tuesday????

GTO1970
04-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Dow has dropped very quickly since 8:30 AM anyboby got any ideas why

GTO

Wheels
04-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Interest Rates! A month ago people were expecting the Fed funds rate to stay at 1% maybe as long as early 2005. A lot has changed. With the really strong jobs number that we got and now this morning's really strong retail sales numbers, interest rates will probably be raised as early as this summer. (Notice the C is badly outperforming the S the last few days - this is also a reflection of interest rate concerns).

Dave

Brak
04-13-2004, 09:50 AM
From MarketWatch.com:

The better-than-expected retail sales will likely have little impact on the Federal Reserve's deliberations about when to raise interest rates. The Fed is primarily concerned about job growth and inflation, and not in economic growth per se, as reassuring as the numbers are.

tsptalk
04-13-2004, 10:19 AM
GTO1970 wrote:
Dow has dropped very quickly since 8:30 AM anyboby got any ideas why

More sellers than buyers :l

Sorry about that. In addition to interest rate concerns, it could be a "sell on the news" deal. We saw some nice earnings reports this morning, as we have been expecting so it wasn't a real surprise. There is also some nervousness surrounding Intel's earnings announcementafter the close today. I won't do this but it would be an interestinggamble to jump in before the deadline today hoping for a solid Intel report. Whenever they expect a bad report, it seems the downside is limited. I wouldn't recommend it but I'll bet we'll see some action one way or another based on the report.

Did you hear about the guy that bet his life's savings on one spin on the roulette wheel this weekend? He bet red and won. It would be kind of like that. ;)

TRAVELER
04-13-2004, 10:32 AM
HELLO, LONG TIME FOLLOWER OF YOUR SITE---JUST NEW REGISTERED FOR MESSAGE BOARDTODAY---GREAT WEBSITE!!!!!!!! QUESTION---IS INTEL AN S&P 500---I'M SURE IT IS BUT HAD TO ASK

tsptalk
04-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Welcome Traveler!

Yes it is part of the S&P 500, as well as the Dow.

Thanks for joining us!
Tom

TRAVELER
04-13-2004, 10:49 AM
AM THINKING ABOUT GOING 100% C FUND----A SPIN OF THE ROULETTE WHEEL FOR TOMMOROW----HOPE INTEL REPORT IS A GOOD ONE!!!! I HAVE BEEN DOING FAIRLY WELL SINCE I JOINED YOUR SITE EARLY FEB---HAVE MADEALMOST $8800.00 SINCE THEN---SO A GAMBLE NOW OR THEN IS GOOD----THANKS AGAIN TOM HAVE FOUND YOUR INFORMATION HAS HELPED ME UNDERSTAND MANY THINGS

tsptalk
04-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Why did I mention that? :x :D

I hope it works out for you.

TRAVELER
04-13-2004, 11:08 AM
WELL TOMMOROW I'LL BE EITHER :l:^:!OR :@:v:ooAND HOPE IT'S NOT THE LATER!!!!!!! LOL