PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

tsptalk
03-27-2005, 05:39 PM
To coincide with the poll have on the home page (http://www.tsptalk.com) I wanted to get a feel what improvements I should be thinking about. I worked hard on creating the site in 2003 and tweaked it oftenin the first half of 2004 but since I have opened my art gallery I realizeI may have become a little too comfortable with what I have here, asmy time has become more limited.

So please use this topic to let me know what changes you may want to see. As I said, finding time has become more difficult plusmy technical abilities are limited, but I will look into all suggestions. It is important to me to keep the site informative, easy to navigate and understand, and fresh.

Unlike the poll on the home page, this one will let you select more than one item so please select allthat apply in the poll.

Thanks!
Tom
tsptalk

bmwnasa
03-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Was I too slow on the poll?

Brett

tsptalk
03-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Oops! Try it now. I'll give you another 5 minutes. :D

grandma
03-27-2005, 11:10 PM
#9 Explaination: Is it possible to have a flagging system,so that individual comments/posts can be flagged for me to review/checkout as I need to? I have tried the `favorites' button, but it is so full I can't find anything, even with it divided into categories, andit seems to be slowing down my computer !! I get into it, then forget what exactly what I was looking for :X. The search button is a bit (more-than) unwieldly when I just need a quick followup.

The avatars are a big help when I recall who was the mostly likely to have madethe entry I want to re-read.... Lovegardening is right about the pics! :)

Thank you - grandma

tsptalk
03-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Unfortunately grandma, I can't do much about the message board software since it is a third party product.

Do you use the "recent" button or use the "search by username" feature? Maybe that will help.

I don't think the favorites button should be slowing down your computer. One thing that might be though are your temporay internet files. If you haven't cleaned them out in a while you can try this:

In the Internet Explorer toolbar go to:
- tools
- Internet options
- Delete files

If that directory is pretty full, deleting those should speed up your internet connection some.

Tom

Rolo
03-28-2005, 07:18 PM
grandma wrote:
#9 Explaination: Is it possible to have a flagging system,so that individual comments/posts can be flagged for me to review/checkout as I need to?
There is the Watch Topic button at the bottom ofthe screen when viewing a topic and there is aNotify me by e-mail when replies are posted to this topic checkbox when you write a post. The board will e-mail you a link to the topic, notifying you of new replies. You can manage watched topics by entering My Account at the top of the screen.

03-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Tom, I like the new yahoo plots of the markets at the top of the discussion pages. It allows us to keep up with the market while we are in the discussion boards and we don't have to exit to check the numbers. This was a big improvement.

grandma
03-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Rolo wrote:
grandma wrote:
#9 Explaination: Is it possible to have a flagging system,so that individual comments/posts can be flagged for me to review/checkout as I need to?

Watch Topic;Notify me by e-mail when replies are posted to this topic;managewatched topics;

Thanx, Rolo - I do do those things, & the recent button too; I haven't gotten the `search' figured out to my satisfaction yet, tho. When I enter a poster's name, all I get it their profile. I've clicked hither & yon,w/no results, so I give up and spend timeweeding thru multiple postings on any particular subject, until I give that up too!!! :x

Question: when doing a Search, what order/sequence do those `search' responses come up in? ...or is there a rhyme or reason to their place of appearance.?

What I had hoped for, is a box I can do a check mark next to any One Single post; we have our forums/topics, but still things are pretty scattered at times...... it would serve as a reminder, also, that that one particular post is something I want to f/u on.

Tom: I keep the cookies cleared, but for some reason had let the temp files build up... we'll see how much difference that makes - I am embarrassed to tell you about the `favorite's file - Worse yet, they really are Not a Favorite !!!

You both have been quite helpful - thank you.....grandma :^

(And watch out for April's Fool day this week -!!)

tsptalk
03-28-2005, 11:41 PM
greg wrote:
Tom, I like the new yahoo plots of the markets at the top of the discussion pages. It allows us to keep up with the market while we are in the discussion boards and we don't have to exit to check the numbers. This was a big improvement.
I'm glad you like them greg. bmwnasa had suggestedit.

tsptalk
03-28-2005, 11:45 PM
grandma wrote:
I haven't gotten the `search' figured out to my satisfaction yet, tho. When I enter a poster's name, all I get it their profile.

When you search by username andyou see their profile, there is another button that says "Posts" in the profile screen. That's when a list of their posts will pop up.

Question: when doing a Search, what order/sequence do those `search' responses come up in? ...or is there a rhyme or reason to their place of appearance.?

It should be newest posts on top.

Birchtree
05-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Tom,

Would there be any way you could post the sp500 index graph for the years 1996 and 1997? I'd like to see what the future could possibly be like-not that it will happen just like that-but looking back can sometimes provide directionor at least a sense of it. Now 2003 looks a lot like 1995. What's that term Deja Vu.

tsptalk
05-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Birchtree wrote:
Would there be any way you could post the sp500 index graph for the years 1996 and 1997?
Here you go ... S&P 500 1996, 1997 (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/view_topic.php?id=1644&forum_id=15).

Rod
05-18-2005, 12:16 AM
The sites been pretty sluggish tonight w/ incurring errors while trying to post. I wonder why?:%

Show-me
05-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Rod,

I had the same problemlastnightand tonight. Oneof myPM's went to the matrix and got the "could not find page". Noticed that the loading of the home page is slow, sometimes.

06-15-2005, 07:13 PM
tsptalk wrote:
So please use this topic to let me know what changes you may want to see.

Stop deleting my posts. It's not worth my time posting here if ya'll are just going to delete them.

06-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Please notchange my posts. :(

Especially when it is to put a good light on another member and will be used to ban me in the future.

Some of us are not that stupid to realize what is going on.

Like another layer of gov here.

Do our posts have a birth/death module? Adjusted for seasonaility?

tsptalk
06-15-2005, 07:41 PM
It looks like we have a monitor with an itchy trigger finger (I don't think it was me but I could be wrong). Either way, I stand by their (my) decision when posts are deleted. Theymusn't have been very informative. If you post trash, expect it to be thrown out.

Stop wasting our time and we'll stop wasting yours. Fair enough?

If someone is changing your post, that is a different story. PM me if that is happening.

Thank you,
Tom

pyriel
07-03-2005, 07:28 AM
The monitor with itchy trigger will be me... However, account talk and account page are two of the busiest sections here on this board. People wants to be tracked which is why they are posting their moves and people are explaining their moves in their account talk so that others may learn and figure out the reasoning behind their moves with hope that readers wouldlearn from them.
The twoindividuals who havelodgedsuggestions (?)have shown their disregard to other peoples' feelings and also have gone against what this board really stands for; which is to help others learn and to learn from others. Disagreement is good for the board and should be highly encouraged.However,both parties must learn to agree and to disagree. If left unchecked, total chaos will ensue and readers(silent majority ofthem) will suffer.Ihappen to be one of those silent majority and unfortunately have beenprovided the tools to do something about it. As a moderator and a tracker, I willalways try my best to guideothers not to waste other people's time.Many others understand what I am trying to do but a minority does not and will continue to try to disruptwhat harmony we may have worked for. I just want everyone to know that I didn't take this job so that i could toy with people's post. I would be more than happy to relinquish this tedious and thankless jobifthe administrator ask me to step down.Between tracking people's moves andmonitoring the busiestsection of this board, it isreally taking alot out of me. But i'll continue to provide my services aslong as I am able to do it.This is just my wayof giving back.
I do thank everyone, to include the two individuals who are makingsuggestions, for refraining (at least lately) from bashing other people within themembers allocation and return talk... Iwill assure everyone that their post will not be deletedas long as they are not wasting people's time.
PS... I could have sworn I deleted otherpeople's postsagainst those two individuals.Funny how theynever mentioned them? Hmmmm... Oh well, just like the news in Iraq, gooddeeds don't sell well with the media.:? Good luck to you all...

mlk_man
07-03-2005, 08:24 AM
You're doing a fine job Pyriel. Most of us here really do appreciate what you are doing.

Now here's a $20, can you give me a higher return this month? :^

Thanks,

M_M

tsptalk
07-03-2005, 08:10 PM
mlk_man wrote:
You're doing a fine job Pyriel. Most of us here really do appreciate what you are doing.
I concur!

jvorwald
07-07-2005, 05:37 AM
In the Excel spreadsheet named newtsp.xls, I changed the calculations so thatnew lines can be inserted, see attached. Also added was a column to track the year to date return of 20% spread.

Also, I could useinstructions and source code for automatically downloading and plotting low,high, closing prices and volume. I would recommend using a software like java or Excel. It's nice that people provide links to sites that charge a nominal fee for such charts, but I think we should be able to implement our own.

Finally, we should have a transaction summary page. I still don't understand when you execute a transaction, when does the transaction occur compared to the change in share prices. Also, does someone know when the g fund changes prices. That date should be put up with the stock tracking charts, including the transaction deadline to obtain that price increase.

J. V.