PDA

View Full Version : To TSP or not to TSP

DazedandConfused
03-23-2005, 06:39 PM
I am retiring on April 1 and I am wondering is it better to work within in TSP or move to other funds. If this posts then there is a problem witn Mozilla Firefox Browser, I am using IE for this post.

tsptalk
03-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Hey D&C - welcome.
It should work with Firefox but you are not the first to have problems.

The best things about TSP are the matching funds and low overhead costs. Thedownsides arelimits oninvestments (we need more choices) and the 12 noon deadline.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Tom

rokid
03-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Like your avatar!

Go Wings!:^

Skip
03-23-2005, 10:40 PM
tsptalk wrote:
Hey D&C - welcome.
It should work with Firefox but you are not the first to have problems.

Tom

Tom it still doesn't work with firefox.... Can you get a update from wow ?

Skip

tsptalk
03-24-2005, 01:10 AM
Skip wrote:

I am using the most current version and am waiting on the new version due out "soon".I know other wow boards are using firefox successfully and I am out of ideas.

Anyone have any ideas? I'll asksupport again.

DazedandConfused
03-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Tom, I am CSRS and don't receive matching funds, but it seems like there is more mobility within TSP than on the outside. I am talking to Fidelity, but their returns don't seem to be any better than I can get in TSP. I will be going to work with the state, and they have a small match, and I have access to the Columbia Acorn Fund that has a 16.42% return for the life of the fund, which goes back to 1970. I am really narrowing it down to 2 choices TSP and Acorn, or Acorn. I welcome any thought on this matter

tsptalk
03-24-2005, 02:46 PM
16% sounds good but I don't know much about acorn. I was thinking more along the lines of opening an IRA account with a broker where you can buy any fund or stock you wanted.

Rolo
03-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Yes, a discount broker for sure...Scottrade, Ameritrade, etc.

Rolo
03-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Skip wrote:

It doesn't work with Opera or Mozilla 1.7 either:

Javascript URL thread: "javascript: document.reply_form.message.value = document.forms[1].text_editor.value; document.reply..."
Error:
name: TypeError
message: Statement on line 1: Expression evaluated to null or undefined and is not convertible to Object: document.forms[1].text_editor
Backtrace:
In unknown script
document.reply_form.message.value = document.forms[1].text_editor.value;

tsptalk
03-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Skip wrote:

I installed Firefox myself and am experiencing the same problems. Once again I contacted support. Sorry for the inconvenience.

tsptalk
03-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Firefox test post.

tsptalk
03-28-2005, 08:11 PM
You can try Firefox again. It is working for me now. I had to delete the PayPal Donate code. Oh well.

I do know the WYSIWYG editor won't work with Firefox. In other words the bold, underline, quotes, etc. won't work without using the codes if you know what I mean.

tsptalk
03-28-2005, 08:13 PM
It doesn't work with Opera or Mozilla 1.7 either:

Want to see if they work now Rolo? Thanks.

Rolo
03-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Opera post test.

Rolo
03-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Whoo-hoo!

PayPal button horked it, eh? Good shot finding that one!

Tom, e-mail me your PayPal button code. I'll see if I can make an unhorked version of it.

Rolo
03-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Aww ww :( I can't read PMs in Opera.

tsptalk
03-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Hmmm. PM's are working in Firefox.

Rolo
03-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Yes they do, however, the yahoo charts don't display in my Firefox 1.0.2. :(

tsptalk
03-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Really? Mine do and I'm using 1.0.2 also. Crazy.

Lacy
03-29-2005, 05:28 PM
:shock:

It's shocking to me how you can ask a valid question such as yours and then the message thread seems to get off on the most miniscule point in your post.....in your case....the firefox issue.

I've been wondering the same thing about whether to remain in TSP or go somewhere else. Maybe, eventually, someone will respond.

tsptalk
03-29-2005, 05:43 PM
I thought we did respond Lacy. If you want more choices, go to an IRA. If you like the TSP investment choices and the low overhead costs, stick with TSP.

We fixed the Firefox problem is case you were wondering. :D 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

Lacy
03-29-2005, 06:00 PM
:dah:Do you mean like VanGuard? I mean, after retirement, (excuse me I've had too much wine this evening)...but do you mean that after retirement it would be best to roll over into something like a VanGuard fund?:*

Rolo
03-29-2005, 07:45 PM
ehehehe, Lacy.

Should you move your TSP elsewhere? It depends: can you achieve a better return elsewhere?

2/3 or so of mutual funds underperform the market indexes. That means the TSP funds are in the top 1/3. Also, gripe about TSP's IFTs all you want, but they are still just as expedient as most.

If you can beat the TSP funds, by all means, transfer it; otherwise, enjoy the convenience and next-to-nothing fees.

Personally, I will transfer my TSP to a traditional IRA when the time comes. I can do sector plays in my Scottrade IRA for more investment options in most market conditions.

And I still cannot see the graphs in FireFox. That's OK, I don't use it except for testing and "testing" anyway. I can see them in Opera. :D

DazedandConfused
04-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Rolo, I may be wrong but it seems your level of expertise in the investing field would be a strong determining factor for staying or leaving the TSP. I don't want to mess with individual stocks at all so would something like Scottrade really be worth me looking into?

Dooper
06-14-2005, 07:41 PM
If you need to keep some of your TSP in a riskless asset, the G fund is a free lunch (5 year yield and no market or credit risk. Unless you plan to chase yesterdays returns (buy high/sell low), the TSP funds are adequate for unsophisticated investors such as yourself. I'm keeping my TSP into retirement. BTW, I don't see Eliot Spitzer investigating the TSP.