PDA

View Full Version : Market is Closed Today

tsptalk
04-09-2004, 01:59 PM
With the market closed today, there doesn't seemmuch to talk about. It might be a good time to ask some questions or talk about strategies...

highplains
04-09-2004, 02:26 PM
I want to take this breather (since I have retreated to 100% G fund) to thank everyone again for sharing so much information. I am learning a lot. I for one have a low threshold for loss and wish these funds were not based so much on the avarice and manipulation of some very wealthy people, but on the other hand, I love when the profits amass in my own account. I thought it was brave of us all to commit to 100% C fund yesterday, reminded me of lemmings united. But the human aspect of this site makes it fresh and worth the time. I have become kind of addicted to checking the message board. I know this is an economic webpage, but there are threads of psychology through everyones posts and often it is though the intuitive feelings these provoke for me that have helped me make my best interfund transfers.:) I hope everyone has a peaceful weekend and that we all make a bundle in the coming year.

tsptalk
04-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Good post highplains. The psychology of this isvery interesting indeed and there have been many books written on the subject. If you ever want to get to know yourself, I recommend doing two things: Try daytrading and play poker. Both are great tests of character. Assuming you have a knowledge of "the games", how you react when things are not going your way can be the difference between winning and losing.Actually daytrading (outside of our TSP accounts) has a lot moreobstacles, but you can be your own worst enemy in both.

A couple of things I learned the hard way (and I would bet anyone new to this will have to learn the way) is always be humble. Never brag about gains (or wins in poker) and don't whine about loses. Once you bring your ego into the mix, you bring yourself another obstacle. Your ego will lose more money for you than any other influence. Like I said, daytrading has a lot more obstacles (commissions, slippage and the fact that you are going against very intelligent traders and market makers trying to take your money). We don't really have that problem with our TSP accounts so your ego is your main enemy. I suppose that is one reason why someone would rather buy and hold. You don't have to face yourself :).

I could talk all day about this stuff because as much as I was unaware of it's effects early on in life, Iconsider it now in almost everything I do.Attitude is everything.

NatX
04-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Well my day is close to winding down (German time). Any news on what tomorrow may bring? Changes in allocation?

tsptalk
04-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Not yet NatX. I'm watching Thursday's highs on the S&P 500 (~ 1149) and Dow (~10590) to see where the market wants to go. They are still below those levels.

It sure seems like it wants to go higher but it started out the same way Thursday so I'm watching for now.

Tom

NatX
04-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Okay. I'm gambling on the S & I Fund tomorrow. I'm in: G - 50%, S- 10%and I- 40% :D

puertorico
04-12-2004, 10:35 AM
I will jump and taste the water a little bid

from 100-g to 35-g 35-c and 30-s

I may be wrong ,but I gonna play the game:shock:

puertorico
04-12-2004, 10:44 AM
iTS confirmed,I pulled the trigger:?

tsptalk
04-12-2004, 10:53 AM
I would have really liked to have seen a down day today before I nibbled. I made no move. Still G fund.

Tom

GTO1970
04-12-2004, 11:28 AM
missed the deadline because of this weird indiana time thing! I'm in G fund for another day and hoping for a .20 cent jump in G Fund today and tommarrow :ooGTO

caspar
04-12-2004, 11:29 AM
:) I have to agree i jumped whole boat into 50% C & 50% S Tues morn. I hopeI am right and can ride up from here. I think by days end we will give back most of today gains so far.

Wheels
04-12-2004, 11:56 AM
GTO - I don't think you get the gains in the G until it jumps the whole cent (every 5 or 6 days). I could be wrong.

Dave

puertorico
04-13-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm traying to catch a falling knife:shock: