PDA

View Full Version : Is this a valid strategy?

Lacy
03-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Hello to all. This site was a great find for me! :)

:?Now, I'd like to describe my situation and hope someone can tell me where I may be going wrong or if I'm possibly on the right track.

My balance is just under 200,000 now and I'm contributing 15% of my $45000/yr salary. I'm 45 yrs old. I want to retire as soon as I become eligible so my horizon is about 10 years. I know I won't be able to become "rich" in this scenario, but I want to be sure that my funds are sufficient to carry me modestly/comfortably to about age 100;)I'm not market savvy and I've never tried to predict the market; I've always just decided upon a moderate/aggressive allocation of some sort and stuck it out, changing very seldom. That has panned out okay, but now I'm thinking of following your daily/weekly recommendations and trying my hand at interfund shifts from time to time to see if maybe I can do a little better for a change....either that,or I'll just give some thought to your long-term fixed allocations....the aggressive one is very similar to mine already. Recently, I'verevised my strategy somewhat in that I've decided to limit my TSP automatic paycheck contributions to 6%(being sure to grab all the agency-matching "free" money) and I've established a ROTH which I'm going to fund with the remaining 9-10% of my monthly savings...so I'll still be saving around 15-16%. (I'm not financially able to max out BOTH my TSP and the ROTH simultaneously so that is why I'm splitting it up this way) My logic is this....I'm thinking that when I retire at age 55, I'll have enough accumulated in the TSP to draw on monthly for quite a few years, and then the ROTH will also be there, hopefully still growing somewhat and available for me to draw on tax-free a bit later in life. Is this a ridiculous strategy or am I on the right track? Also, if this is viable, should I take the plunge and still try my hand at a few interfund transfers while executing this strategy?

:zzSorry this is so long. Hopefully you're not sleeping. Thanks.

Lacy

Rolo
03-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Welcome, Lacy!

What you can do, to get your feet wet, is only "play" with a portion of your TSP account; partition it into two "accounts": one buy-and-hold with your current allocation, the other for trend-trading. Then see which one performs better.

Or, if yer like me, impatient, all-or-none kinda person, just screw it and move it all around. Don't eat Tums like candy, though (it causes constipation, heh). :shock:

Question: If you were to fund your TSP the full 15%, how much $ do you save on taxes buy funding that 9% over what you are funding now? You could then take those tax savings and fund the Roth. example:

9% * $45K = $4K, which is max for IRAs

say 25% tax rate (+state taxes?) * $4K = $1K savings on taxes that can be put into Roth. That's an extra 2.22% gross salary invested.

15% * 45K = 6750

6750 + 1K = 7750 / 45K = 17.22% invested while still paying 15%.

Lacy
03-19-2005, 09:57 AM
:dah:Hi Rolo. Thanks for the response! Now, this is probably a great big "duh!!!" but, if I understand you correctly, you are agreeing that my TSP/ROTH strategy is a good one......yes? ...or do I have it backwards? I'm hearing you say that, with the tax savings, I'll be actually saving/contributing approx. 2.2% more than I would be doing with all my eggs going to the TSP basket. Am I getting it? I'd like to be able to max out a ROTH and contribute the max to the TSP also, but as of yet, 15% is all I have to spare from my budget.

Rolo
03-19-2005, 10:56 AM
What my Cryptic Writings are saying is this:

- TSP contributions are not subject to income tax (I estimated 25% tax rate for you)

- .'. on whatever you contribute to TSP, you will save 25% in taxes

- If you contribute 15% to TSP rather than 6%, you will save ~$1K/year since you are not paying income tax on that $4K (9% diff)

- That extra $1K can be put to a Roth. Total invested: 15% TSP, 2.2% Roth. When your income increases/spending decreases, you can add more to Roth.

Does that make sense?

Lacy
03-19-2005, 11:05 AM
:'

GeezZZzzz....No, Rolo, that is very clearnow.Thanks for clearing that up. I had been under the impression that all my TSP contributions "were" taxed, upfront as part of my gross income,and then again at withdrawal, so there was my confusion.

Thanks again.

Rolo
03-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Nope, they actually lower your declared income automatically. This is where tax planning and investing occur concurrently. (say that five times in a row, heh)

Lacy
03-19-2005, 11:26 AM
:^

My gosh, I don't know how I missed that. I guess I once knew and just forgot it or something....at least I hope I did. I'm a dim-bulb about all this but I've done okay I guess to know so little. Just hooking up with you this a.m. has helped me tremendously. I am going to continue with my entire 15% to the TSP and will work on the ROTH a little along and along. I'm kinda excited about watching and following this site and trying to maximize my returns with some fund-shuffling now and then.

Again, thanks a bunch for switching on the light for me....I'll be watching for your posts.

Have a great weekend!!