PDA

View Full Version : Oh Great, All-Performing Dr_Dubious

Rolo
03-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Someone suggested that you and I throw down and I did my part. You sure talk a lot (oh my gawed do you talk a lot), but I question whether you have anything to say.

Put up or shut up: What are your top choices for investing? Whassamatta? Chicken?

azanon
03-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Careful. Anyone can look up the best 5 performers and say that's the ones they've owned.

Rolo
03-21-2005, 07:11 PM
It's a moot point now, but it would be HENCEFORTH, meaning, from the time posted until the position was posted closed.

The problem with yer stuff, Az, is that we would have to wait ten years to see how it does. :D ehehehehe j/k

azanon
03-22-2005, 08:40 AM
rofl. In TSP, i'm now at50% S and 50% I (formally, 30, 30, 40I). Ive been 100% stock in TSP since beginning of 03'. I'd suspect i'm well ahead of 20% to each so far this year, as well as last year, sigh, and the year before (/yawn).

I own USAA International (USIFX), American Century Equity Income TWEIX, AC Equity Growth BEQGX, USAA Aggressive Growth (USAUX) , and for my car fund, ive owned American Century Utilities (BULIX) since mid 03. Only recent chance was exchanging TC Vista (TWCVX), which ive owned for years, to AC Equity Income. I offset that by increasing my S fund percentage in TSP.

Look those up... I think i'm doing quite well. Sure, if I had a Real Estate fund and or some Emerging market, i'd be all the better. However, regarding real estate, i'm a homeowner with 40K in equity so i dont want any more real estate exposure now.Asfor the Emerging market, developed international is doing pretty darn good anyway, and the expense ratios are just too high for me to bite into emerging market now.

Note USAA AG picked up superstar manager Thomas Marsico about 3 years ago, and just like I said he would, he's performing great. On 3 year annualized, he's beating the S&P500 by 2.03%. Granted, that's a little low for this guy cause he used to consistently beat the S&P500 year after year in Janus Twenty by 4%+ despite the expense ratio. Apparently, he found someone just as talented as him to run his other domestic fund at his new company (MXXIX).

So, great performance 10 years from now? I'm just not patient enough for that. I prefer great performance now ;-)

You want great performance Rolo? Take notes.

My personal opinion is that International stocks of all types will continue to be strong for the next several years, and that growth strategy is coming back into favor, in particular large cap growth. I still like the Utilities sector play for at least one more year. I think we could have at least one more year of mediocre performance in health care/technology.

I'm definitely avoiding bonds for now with rising interest rates, but also as interest rates rise, fixed income like money market will become more and more attractive for reasons of both increasing return, and as a defensive position. Rising + high interest rates are often bearish for stocks. So far, we just have the former but in time we could have both.