PDA

View Full Version : Are you drinking your H20?

CFenton1982
03-04-2005, 06:59 AM
Well, you should be drinking enough H20 if you old foggies wanna live a healthy life. Whether your young or over the half way hump you should be drinking not just 3 8oz glasses a water a day you should be drinking atleast half of your body weight in oz's per day. Just thought I'd let you know.

Charlie Fenton CPT

03-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey Charlie, show us someproof. I disagree with your statement. Then again, what do I know.................

Too funny

03-05-2005, 12:02 AM
CFenton1982 wrote:
Well, you should be drinking enough H20 if you old foggies wanna live a healthy life. Whether your young or over the half way hump you should be drinking not just 3 8oz glasses a water a day you should be drinking atleast half of your body weight in oz's per day. Just thought I'd let you know.

Charlie Fenton CPT
Water will be the next hot commodity. Most of the world is in a draught. That is a longer term area to look at getting into.

coolhand
03-05-2005, 03:07 PM
http://www.detnews.com/2002/health/0208/20/a05-566143.htm

tsptalk
03-05-2005, 08:08 PM
coolhand wrote:
http://www.detnews.com/2002/health/0208/20/a05-566143.htm

Also, contrary to popular opinion, he cited a University of Nebraska study that found coffee, tea and sodas can count toward the daily fluid total for some people.

Shew! I drink about an ounce of water a day but consume 2 gallons of coffee, iced tea and soda (plus 2 glasses of wine or beer). I knew if I waited long enough my diet would be "in".

grandma
03-06-2005, 03:00 PM
tsptalk wrote:
Shew! I drink about an ounce of water a day but consume 2 gallons of coffee, iced tea and soda (plus 2 glasses of wine or beer). I knew if I waited long enough my diet would be "in".
Getting alcohol intoxicated :P is probably (?) more fun than getting water intoxicated..:oo

But both act crazy -:x

And - I don't recall the water ones getting as belligerant ....:x:x

03-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Grandma this is a different side of you that we have not seen....I like it. Would love to belly up to the bar with you for a night or two.

Rock on!:P

03-06-2005, 09:40 PM
coolhand wrote:
http://www.detnews.com/2002/health/0208/20/a05-566143.htmProof.................

Rolo
03-06-2005, 11:54 PM
tsptalk wrote:
I knew if I waited long enough my diet would be "in".
haha!

Rod
03-07-2005, 10:06 AM
tsptalk wrote:
but consume 2 gallons of coffee, iced tea and soda (plus 2 glasses of wine or beer).
That consists of plenty of H2O!;)

03-07-2005, 07:30 PM
BTW, de-caffienated coffee and tea have just been shown to protect against colon cancer. Not caffienated though. Sort of takes the fun oout of it huh?

Also, we get most of the liquid we need through food intake, fruits especially. There is some ailment, can't remember the name of it, that is caused from too much liquid consumption. Something to do with over-working the kidneys. And no, it's not called alcoholism. :P

Best advice I've heard is "listen to your body". If your thirsty drink...............

Careful of them kidney stones Tom. My younger brother use to drink like a liter and a half of Root Beer every day, he won't be doing that anymore! :shock:

Rolo
03-07-2005, 10:57 PM
tsptorture wrote:
Best advice I've heard is "listen to your body". If your thirsty drink...............

Yup. If yer urine is yellow, you are dehydrated; it should be mostly clear.

The altitude up here requires one to drink lots of water...having a hard time keeping up. (and three pots of coffee/day doesn't help much...coffee/tea/beer are diuretics, which make you expel water.)

grandma
03-08-2005, 12:24 AM
tsptorture wrote:
. There is some ailment, can't remember the name of it, that is caused from too much liquid consumption. Something to do with over-working the kidneys.
Careful of them kidney stones Tom. My younger brother use to drink like a liter and a half of Root Beer every day, he won't be doing that anymore! :shock:

Are you referring to SIADH - syndrome of inapporopriate antidiuretic hormone?...water that is normally excreted is reabsorbed into the circulaltion - then you have water retention - :iand, eventually water intoxication... ( I wasn't kidding on previous post).:D

Avoid kidney stones: drink a glass of lemonade (not the flavored stuff) every day, save the cranberry juice for when you feel an infection coming on, and -

drink a glass of water every time you empty your bladder... :P

Caffinated drinks don't count - they run out what you put in -:oo Alcohol is for those who don't think they need a liver ------------!!!:s

btw - I take in my share, and maybe more, of caffiene............but, I like my liver the way it is... full of fresh red blood, and no poisons ......:!:l

also - speaking of bladders - did you know that nicotine is a topmost cause of bladder cancer?? love to all - grandma

Spaf
03-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Vegetables are the key!

Martini: dab of dry vermouth, squirt of lemon juice (vegies), cracked ice (water), 3 olives (more vegies), vodka or gin. Shaken or stirred.

Rgds! :) Spaf aka 007

grandma
03-08-2005, 12:53 AM
:lLOL, ROFL, VERRRRRY outloud !!!

Spaf - go one further: is the drink base corn, barley, or what ??? you have your grains there ! And I do believe you might want to count the lemon as a fruit - AND since it is citrus it gets double points ; -

:iand there your are - lemon : to avoid the stones !!!!

best of tuesday's market to you !!

Mike
03-08-2005, 03:07 AM
Drinking excessive amounts of water creates problems because rather than simply helping you eliminate waste from the body, it will also cause your body to shed its nutrients. Taken to an extreme, you can die from high volume water intake because your osmotic pressure goes down the crapper and your cells lose their ability to maintain an ion gradient.

Regarding daily requirements, people get most of their water from other beverages and from foods. Fruits and vegetables are mostly water.

03-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Mike wrote:

Regarding daily requirements, people get most of their water from other beverages and from foods. Fruits and vegetables are mostly water.

I heard that somewhere?????????????? I like spaf's idea............

BTW grandma. I heard 10-20 alcoholic drinks a day are good for you?

Ut oh, they didn'tmean 1-2 did they? There goes my Coors stock. :P

CFenton1982
03-14-2005, 02:22 AM
TSPtorture- First off, drinking 8 glasses of water a day is just a minimum. I don't think you understand the nature of why water is so important to the human body. Like the earth your body is covered by an approx. 75% water. Water provides many nourishments to the body such as:

Water serves as a lubricant

Water forms the base for saliva

Water forms the fluids that surround the joints.

Water regulates the body temperature, as the cooling and heating is distributed through perspiration.

Water helps to alleviate constipation by moving food through the intestinal tract and thereby eliminating waste- the best detox agent.

Regulates metabolism

Hope this gives you a better understanding as to why water is important to everyones health. Plus you shouldn't wait until your thirsty because by then its too late.