PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back the Old "Activity Stream"

MrJohnRoss
06-08-2012, 12:08 AM
I posted this on my thread a few days ago, but perhaps not too many people have seen it. Thought I'd put it in the Suggestion area for better exposure. Here's what I wrote...

Opinion:

I miss being able to see the first sentence or two of what people are writing on each other's posts in the "Activity Stream" in the main Forum section. Now it only states that someone replied to a thread on someone's Account Talk.

Boo.

I like the old way better. If the conversation looked interesting, you could click on the link if you wanted to read more. Now, you don't have any idea what's being said until you click on every link.

I don't have time for that.

My vote is to bring the old way back.

Several people agreed with this suggestion, but perhaps Tom needs to see more widespread agreement before he makes a change.

If you agree, (or disagree) please say so on this thread. Your comments are appreciated!

nnuut
06-08-2012, 08:45 AM
I think Tom has been busy with other things the last few days and hasn't had enough time to answer your question. He'll be back in action soon.

MrJohnRoss
06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks nnuut! What do YOU think?

nnuut
06-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks nnuut! What do YOU think?
I think it would be an improvement, if it can be done? vB isn't the easiest program to work with, but if anyone can do it, it's Tom.

crommie
06-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I replied on John's thread so I'll reply here too. YES! Please bring back the old first few words thing. I really miss it...:(

tsptalk
06-09-2012, 01:30 AM
I actually am not sure what the old way was. I never really used the "What's New" page.

I will look for what other forums are saying but unfortunately if we go back to the old way we could never upgrade the forum software again since every new upgrade and bug fix versions, would have the old way and they upgrade about once every month or two.

If other forums are complaining it's possible they will take that into consideration and make a change to the current format.

nnuut
06-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Try the "WHAT'S NEW" link in the menu, I think it has the info they are missing.

JTH
06-09-2012, 10:06 AM
You mean when you hover your mouse pointer over a thread title and a box pops up with the first few lines?

MrJohnRoss
06-09-2012, 11:04 AM
I actually am not sure what the old way was. I never really used the "What's New" page.

I will look for what other forums are saying but unfortunately if we go back to the old way we could never upgrade the forum software again since every new upgrade and bug fix versions, would have the old way and they upgrade about once every month or two.

If other forums are complaining it's possible they will take that into consideration and make a change to the current format.

Tom, if you go to the Forum main page, and look at the "Activity Stream", it now only states that "Person A" posted in "Person B's" account talk. The previous version showed the first sentence or two, so we could see if we wanted to read more. We miss that.

Doesn't sound like the new software update allows us to see what is being said in that conversation unless we click on every link, which is too time consuming.

Perhaps nnuut is right. I'll try going to the "What's New" page from now on to see what people are talking about, and see if I want to click to read more.

Thanks,

JR

tsptalk
06-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh, OK. I misunderstood. I thought we were talking abou the new What's New page activity stream. I actually CAN bring that old one back. I'll get it done. Sorry for the confusion.

MrJohnRoss
06-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Oh, OK. I misunderstood. I thought we were talking abou the new What's New page activity stream. I actually CAN bring that old one back. I'll get it done. Sorry for the confusion.

Really???

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! THANK YOU!!!

:):):)

James48843
06-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Not having the video pages, or the photo pages, like they used to be is very bad now. No way to look at the media in separate threads- it's all jumbled up together. In addition, it doesn't list in the "recent activity thread" so you can't see what is new for "photos" or "videos".

I liked it the way it was before.

My 2 cents.

tsptalk
06-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Did you notice the categories in the menu? We can create more specific ones if you'd like.

Videos: Categories - TSP Talk Forums (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/vbtube.php?do=list)

Images: Categories - TSP Talk Forums (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/vbtube.php?do=list&ctype=2)

I know it will take time to get used to, but once we do, it will seem easy.

tsptalk
06-11-2012, 04:07 PM
In addition, it doesn't list in the "recent activity thread" so you can't see what is new for "photos" or "videos".

I liked it the way it was before.

I hope the new drop down Video (or should I call it "Media") button in the main horizontal menu makes things a little easier.

I also added "Recent Videos" and "Recent Images" to the forum sidebar so you can see what has been recently posted in the Video section.

daveaultman
06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Old way meets my needs better.

nnuut
06-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Is there any way we can see comments made on a video on the preview screen? NOW you have to page down to see them and I think they are not seen and don't create responses and conversations.

tsptalk
06-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Do you mean on the main video page which shows all of the video thumbnails? I'm not sure if that can be done, but there is a sidebar on that page with the comments.

If you mean on the video's page itself, it looks like the comments do show so I assume you meant the first thing. :)

nnuut
06-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Yes that's it.

nnuut
06-26-2012, 09:33 AM
The Latest Comments thing works well, thanks.