PDA

View Full Version : IRA Fund Transfers

chet
02-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Newbie questiong...

Is it possible to move IRA funds around into other mutual/index funds like we can in the TSP? For example can I keep mony in a s&p500 fund for a few months and then roll it into something else if the market shows movements? Or are IRA buy and hold only? How would you set something like that up?

02-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Yes. However, most mutual funds starting having caps on number of moves you can make in a year. There is no worse feeling then when youknow that you should get out of an fund and you are stuck because you have reached your cap. Just watch the old account balance go down and down. You could all ways close your account and move to another family. However you may have a hard time getting back in later.

Research a mutual fund company with low fees especially low IRA maintenance fees. You may find that the minimum to open a index fund may be $10K.

If you want to hop around you can open up a IRA brokerage account at a low cost provider and use ETFs of the indexes. That be what I do. I have been trading commundites futures and must say have been doing nicely this year. Up over 400% since the start of the year in that account. :D

Rolo
02-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Dr_Dubious wrote:
Research a mutual fund company with low fees especially low IRA maintenance fees.
dahell are you talking about, fees? You were griping about potential private SSA fees and here you are talking about IRA fees! :X

There are plenty of no-fee IRA places. Scottrade be one-o-dem.

Dr_Dubious wrote:
You may find that the minimum to open a index fund may be $10K.

dahell are you talking about? Many/most places are $100-$500 minimum investment to open an IRA.

Dr_Dubious wrote:
I have been trading commundites futures and must say have been doing nicely this year. Up over 400% since the start of the year in that account. :D

Didn't you break your arms already, patting yourself on the back like that? You heal fast! :?

Seriously, D-Dub...you should open a futures topic and stuff. I never messed with futures, but I'm willing to learn...particularly since it may be somewhat necessary soonto keep my 'folio growin'.

02-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Dr_Dubious wrote:
Icall it capitial preservation. If I wanted to **** my money away I would go to a bar. I am an investor not a speculator.

If I am going to lose my money I want to wake up with a hangover and a stranger, not a depleted TSP balance and a negative attitude about somone trying to hold on to their hard earned money.

But to each their own... I have been trading commundites futures and must say have been doing nicely this year. Up over 400% since the start of the year in that account. :D

You trade commundites, huh? And you're up 400% in 2 months or 2400% annualized. But you're not a speculator,because you believe in "capitial preservation?"

Looks like it's Deja Vu, all over again.

Rolo
02-24-2005, 07:38 PM
haha, saraho

haha, I just saw this....how does one trade commundites?

Oh, the other comments: yes, some fund families put a limit on how many trades you can do in a year...I learned that the hard way...<Quake narrator voice> DENIED! they told me, until June. However, this only applies to exchanges, I can still sell the fund and buy another of their funds. duh.

When I started out, I traded funds pretty quickly and found that it isn't necessary. Changing funds on broader market conditions shouldn't cause you to hit the limit.

02-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Rolo wrote:

Seriously, D-Dub...you should open a futures topic and stuff. I never messed with futures, but I'm willing to learn...particularly since it may be somewhat necessary soonto keep my 'folio growin'.

Sorry Ibrung it UP NOW. I should shut my mouth.

I got lucky on basic materials. The contracts were cheap far out because no one wanted themso I took a stab with some of my ROTH money. I got crushed today so I jinxed myself. Two days ago there was a great big jump in them and I should of sold.

I will not talk about it again since this is the TSP board.

100% G. Not sure what the GDP number will be but I do not want to be on the wrong side.

Sorry again for getting exciting about doing well for myself here. This is obviously a knock you down board. OK, I lost some skin on my knees and I am bloody. You can cheer now.

02-24-2005, 09:34 PM
saraho wrote:
You trade commundites, huh? And you're up 400% in 2 months or 2400% annualized. But you're not a speculator,because you believe in "capitial preservation?"

I took a small percentage and tried something new and had beginners luck. Of course the same day I posted something I should not have I got burned.

It was something I wanted to try. I am sorry I brought it up. I sold my positions. It is something I understand in comparision to the these TSP funds. You have heard me talk about the I fund. All these people on trial now for doing stuff with their companies I wanted to try something that made sense. If there is demand the price goes up, if there is no demand the price goes down. It made sense to me.

It was just something to try.

Is this an attack board??? If you share something you get attacked? I am sorry your TSP are down for the week. Do not attack me for getting excited.

Rolo
02-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Nobody's attacking you for getting excited, but rather the in-your-face gloating. One tip-off: you never shared what, precisely, you did and why and how others can experimentwith it. Also, what do you plan to do next? Its easy to talk about successes after-the-fact, an edited history.

You may not mean it that way, but that is how it comes across. Try to ensure your words portray your intentions. Also, LOOSEN UP SOME HOLY COW! :cool:

02-24-2005, 10:04 PM
I was pretty tired when I answered that post. I should of just let it go. Also the 465% gain was not annualized. It was what I started with to what I HAD yesterday. It takes to much work to annualize out 51 days. Do you count holidays and weekends? Is it stock market opens days. Screw it I was up pretty good when I cashed out of it.

Of course, today I got trashed so that is my payback. It is actually quite fun and I will try again next week with$500.

I bought a used training series off ebay and watched it. I can not remember the name of it thou it was pretty old. I remember the haircuts were from the 80s. When I get back home I will post it if you want. The basic materials seems to be the place that no one wanted. That does not seem to be the case now. Just do not get greedy. If you get the right contracts you can have gains of over 100% in a week. Just sell them and not hold I like I was doing. I was stupid. Learn from my mistakes.

Rolo
02-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Dr_Dubious wrote:
It takes to much work to annualize out 51 days. Do you count holidays and weekends? Is it stock market opens days. Screw it I was up pretty good when I cashed out of it.
Quicken does that for me. I'm surprised you don't use a financial management program.

Dr_Dubious wrote:
It is actually quite fun and I will try again next week with$500.

What are you going to do?

02-25-2005, 12:07 AM
I use a laptop, I travel a lot and stay at foreign hotels a lot. So I am terrified of putting personal data on this computer. I am bare bones. Just the minimum stuff to surf the net. Nothing more. Oh yeah, and Poker.

Based on the OPEC news of adding more lower grade crude to the oil basket. I am thinking supply/demand. If they are going to need more lower grade crude for the basket then I am going to purchase the longest contracts for the lower grade types of crude in the hopes of where there is demand there is price increases. I am also going to purchase more of the refinery stocks on the long side.

So the $500 bet option bet is on lower grades of crude. Actually I did $2000 because I like pain. Get a double sell have, get a double sell half and let the rest run.

I am researching refiners now and going to add to my winners and let them run. I believe light sweet brent days are numbered and refinery will be the demand for the supply.

Do not try this at home. I do not want you to lose money on my stupid idea.

Based on my past "luck" I am passed due for some damage. It all evens out in the end.

azanon
02-25-2005, 07:52 AM
I dont know much at all about commodities, futures, options, stuff like that. Guess the reason why is when i got interested in investing, i bought several investment books. Practially all of them say "just dont do it" regardingfutures and options in the first few sentences of the discussion. So i didnt even bother reading that section.

If they all say that, I figure it stands to reason to look elsewhere.