PDA

View Full Version : Facebook (Meta)

clester
05-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Does anyone else think this Facebook hype is overdone? I use Facebook some but... It's no google or apple.

It may pop initially but I bet it drops soon after. I think apple has topped as well. Google has flattened out. Is this a sign of a top in tech?

nnuut
05-17-2012, 12:16 PM
The only things I like about it is being able to keep in touch with family and finding old friends, the rest is nothing and I don't like the invasions of privacy.

tsptalk
05-17-2012, 12:26 PM
I am taking a contrarian view on this. I can't believe how many people I hear on CNBC, etc., that are negative on this IPO. I would think that their growth rate (members) has to slow down, but people spend more time on FB than any webiste (other than TSP Talk, of course :D) and if there are ads and other revenue streams hitting a half a billion people a day for a couple of hours, they will make money or find a way. The negativity tells me there could be a lot of people scrambling to get in who did not want to get in on IPO.

For the record, I am not getting in on the IPO, and I already sold my GSVC (which owns a bunch of FB shares) for a little profit. Buy the rumor sell the news kind of thing. But if FB does not fly out of the gate I will buy it. Hopefully near $30. I think it will surprise.

James48843
05-17-2012, 12:37 PM
I heard yesterday someone on the radio saying it's priced at more than 100 times earnings. I can't for the life of me see how they are going go grow income to get it to a reasonable P/E ratio, so the chances of the price tanking after the IPO are pretty good.

tsptalk
05-17-2012, 12:40 PM
To add: My wife, my son, and I all have accounts. My wife who is not greatly computer literate, has her business account and a personal account. The first thing my son does when he comes home is to check his FB account. I monitor his use but I'm sure many parents don't. The point is, the number of people getting on FB is amazing, and they spend a lot of time online.

Unlike older folks (like me) kids are not afraid to click on ads. Whether naive, or just part of their generation, they trust the internet and don't assume everything is a scam or a spybot, etc. With a couple of hundred million kids online every day, and no real product overhead, I can't see how they won't have big earnings.

tsptalk
05-17-2012, 01:23 PM
I heard yesterday someone on the radio saying it's priced at more than 100 times earnings. I can't for the life of me see how they are going go grow income to get it to a reasonable P/E ratio, so the chances of the price tanking after the IPO are pretty good.
That's true (100 X) but Google IPO'd at 218 times earnings, and Apple was 102 X. It's the growth potential that makes these reasonable.

Source: Facebook boosts IPO size by 25 percent, could top $16 billion - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/facebook-expands-ipo-size-aims-15-billion-source-011714945--sector.html)

The IP price is $34 to $38. I'll bet we see $50 - $60 by next week, if not the first day - although the crappy market hurts its prospects. If it's available in the $30's tomorrow, I'll jump in.

pmcint01
05-17-2012, 01:38 PM
I thought I read online today that 58% of users have never clicked on an ad and that 80 something percent had only clicked on an ad once. You would think they should only get paid if the ad is clicked and not just on the page.

To add: My wife, my son, and I all have accounts. My wife who is not greatly computer literate, has her business account and a personal account. The first thing my son does when he comes home is to check his FB account. I monitor his use but I'm sure many parents don't. The point is, the number of people getting on FB is amazing, and they spend a lot of time online.

Unlike older folks (like me) kids are not afraid to click on ads. Whether naive, or just part of their generation, they trust the internet and don't assume everything is a scam or a spybot, etc. With a couple of hundred million kids online every day, and no real product overhead, I can't see how they won't have big earnings.

tsptalk
05-17-2012, 01:46 PM
I thought I read online today that 58% of users have never clicked on an ad and that 80 something percent had only clicked on an ad once. You would think they should only get paid if the ad is clicked and not just on the page.
That's probably right, but I'll bet that 80 or 90% of reader here don't click on ads.

They do offer ads per click, but they may also do it by spce - not sure. I know they do it like Google's Adwords, where the advertisers give a daily budget and they will post those ads until that budget gets it. I tried it a while back and they will hit your budget - whether you want it to or not. :)

Frixxxx
05-17-2012, 04:51 PM
THE GLOBE (http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023-217913.html)

This little gem from 1998 brings back memories.

Now mind you, I was in the private sector at this time and held 145,000 shares of my company's stock as an I.T. Director. (listed originally @ 11)

This thing made my mouth water. 600% in a day (900 peak)? I would be retired by now.

Anyway, The Globe was actually FACEBOOK of the Nineties. But it's management used it as an investment tool rather than a social media platform.

But remember~~ AOL, MySpace, Compuserve.......FB just needs to stay fresh enough to keep people interested.

Enough said. That companywhere I worked? You can buy the URL for $9.95 at godaddy!:cool:

tsptalk
05-17-2012, 05:24 PM
That companywhere I worked? You can buy the URL for $9.95 at godaddy!:cool:
That's funny. :laugh:

James48843
05-18-2012, 05:30 AM
FACEBOOK starts trading at 11:00 a.m. this morning, under the stock symbol FB.

Afishegg
05-18-2012, 06:07 AM
Remember Myspace?......in 2 yrs it will be something else. I mean FB doesn't make a product, google at least now makes products. I just dont see it, I just think it is a great story about a young man who made it big, yeah facebook is neat, but i personally dont do it because of privacy issues. Which brings me to my next point, that survey that came out showed a majority of people dont trust facebook with their info either, and that could potentially be a problem as well down the road......alas, we shall see....

nnuut
05-18-2012, 07:05 AM
I only click ads at one site, and that site is TSPTalk.com!:D

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 08:55 AM
FACEBOOK starts trading at 11:00 a.m. this morning, under the stock symbol FB.
The IPO price is $38. I have a bid in at $36 to test the waters. I may have to play with that depending which way it goes. The opening will be wild and it could hit $25 or $50, or both in the first few hours. Scottrade is very bogged so that tells me there will a lot of interest.

James48843
05-18-2012, 09:00 AM
I just saw a note cross the wires- FACEBOOK is UNDERsubscribed.

They could not sell all the shares they wanted before the open this morning.

FB starts trading at 11:00 a.m.

James48843
05-18-2012, 09:04 AM
How Facebook stands up against one of its Internet rivals, Google, based on the most recent available data:

Annual revenue — Google $38 billion, Facebook $3.7 billion.

Advertising revenue — Google $36.5 billion, Facebook $3.2 billion.

Annual net income — Google $9.7 billion, Facebook $668 million.
Employees — Google 33,100, Facebook 3,500.

picked up

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 09:53 AM
GOOG = $630
FB = $38 or ..???

Place yer bets! :D

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 09:58 AM
The IPO price is $38. I have a bid in at $36 to test the waters. I may have to play with that depending which way it goes. The opening will be wild and it could hit $25 or $50, or both in the first few hours. Scottrade is very bogged so that tells me there will a lot of interest.
Changing my bid to $39. It is indicating an open near $43 - $45 right now.

James48843
05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Jsut saw shares trade at 56

James48843
05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
11:17 EDT Nasdaq says experiencing delay in opening of Facebook IPO

NASDAQ having trouble.

Boghie
05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Funny looking C/S Charts...

Looks like excitable folks trying to get into the market before Facebook starts trading - then the smart money take profit. It might not be smart money - who knows. Anyway, the delay in the Facebook offering gives us TSPTalkers a glimpse of the future, eh...

My guess is a big up bounce as 'dumb' money tries to get in on the side, and a dump as 'smart' money takes the opportunity to sell and lock in profit...

Me, I'll just sit right here invested 50% in the market and 50% out of the market. I'll need something like another 10% - 12% dump in the S&P to zero out this years YTOD gains... Want to be there when the 'smart' money looks past early November!!!;)

James48843
05-18-2012, 10:28 AM
NASDAQ still having trouble launching trades of FB. Looks like major traffic jam. None of the quote services can get it either. Last report showing trades ready to begin at $38, but I saw one trade flash by at about 11:14 or so of a $56 exchange. then....nothing..

James48843
05-18-2012, 10:32 AM
FACEBOOK opens at $42.

James48843
05-18-2012, 10:33 AM
87,000,000 share block just traded at $42

James48843
05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Dropping like a rock. Now at $39.80

James48843
05-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Stabalized at $40.06 and appears to be trading bigger volumes around here.

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Well, Scottrade is at a crawl, but I think my order must have been filled with it printing below $39 a minute ago.

Boghie
05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Seems like we are definitely in a 'distribution' market on our equity funds...

Maybe even in our bond fund...

Still don't want to make a trade today. Too bouncy... Some things are nice when bouncy, others not. And I don't like my retirement funds bouncy!!!

Boghie
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Then again, at this point we are talking less than half a point. It would wipe out Amoeba's gains, but...:p

Boghie
05-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Wow, weird, talkin’ FaceBook in the FaceBook thread and landing here.

But, then again I’m really talking about our equity funds.

So, our lord (Tom) works in mysterious ways:laugh:

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Wow, weird, talkin’ FaceBook in the FaceBook thread and landing here.

And, back again. :)

Sorry, I didn't notice that your first post was talking about Facebook. I saw C/S and figured folks not interested in Facebook wouldn't have read it so I moved it. But alas, it was about Facebook. Sorry.

Boghie
05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
And, back again. :)

Sorry, I didn't notice that your first post was talking about Facebook. I saw C/S and figured folks not interested in Facebook wouldn't have read it so I moved it. But alas, it was about Facebook. Sorry.

Tom, I actually think you were correct to move my posts. I am looking to see if the FaceBook IPO changes the general mood of the market, but it is the mood of the market that I am interested in since I cannot buy FaceBook yet (and will not). My mullah is in the C/S/I. And, I don't like what I'm seeing. The IPO excitement is being swamped by folks looking to sell on a bump. That implies a down market.

I just thought it was funny.

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Well, Scottrade is at a crawl, but I think my order must have been filled with it printing below $39 a minute ago.
Still no confirmation from Scottrade that my FB trade was filled, despite it trading $1 under my bid price earlier. This reminds me of the days prior to online trading.

dhstdog
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Im loving it, had 3 orders in for FB and none of them filled.... Now you can keep those shares. Thanks ameritrade

Boghie
05-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Wow, opens at $38, now something around $40 and falling...
Are these folks going to actually lose money?
Is Bono going to go broke?

Come on baby, lets give it to the 1%ers!!!

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Im loving it, had 3 orders in for FB and none of them filled.... Now you can keep those shares. Thanks ameritrade
The volume is through the roof so I assume these orders will show as filled at some point today as they sort through them. Hopefully, anyway.

Intrepid_Timer
05-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Still no confirmation from Scottrade that my FB trade was filled, despite it trading $1 under my bid price earlier. This reminds me of the days prior to online trading.

Was it just me or was Scottrade really slow earlier?

dhstdog
05-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I had three orders in all above 41 didnt fill. I have since cancelled all the orders and ameritrade confirmed my cancellation. I will wait now.

Steel_Magnolia
05-18-2012, 11:31 AM
When Bid and Ask prices went back down to almost $38 I put in a market order at Scottrade, thinking my order would be filled immediately at that price. Silly me. Now the price is almost up to $41 and my order isn't showing as filled yet. And since it is a market order I don't have the option to cancel it. It appears that I have made one more tuition payment to Investments University.

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Was it just me or was Scottrade really slow earlier?
Yeah, Facebook is slowing down most online brokerages I hear. They aren't answering their phones either. Must be a madhouse. Over 300,000,000 shares of facebook traded in the first hour.

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 11:42 AM
When Bid and Ask prices went back down to almost $38 I put in a market order at Scottrade, thinking my order would be filled immediately at that price. Silly me. Now the price is almost up to $41 and my order isn't showing as filled yet. And since it is a market order I don't have the option to cancel it. It appears that I have made one more tuition payment to Investments University.
Hey S_M. It sounds like this is happening everywhere. I heard folks had "sell at the open" orders and have not received confirmation. It should be interesting to see how it all comes out, but with electronic trading of the Nasdaq, I'll bet it will be OK once they get it settled - except for market orders, of course. :D. kidding.

Frixxxx
05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Ironic:

Forming a company whose purpose is to link the world and allow a social entity to exist publicly, enticing 900+ million people to participate, using that 900+million people as a basis to justify worth, having an initial 'public' offering where fewer than .0001% of the people who actually help define a company actually participate as a shareholder.

hmmmm

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 12:06 PM
From Scottrade:

Facebook (FB) Orders and Delayed Reports
NASDAQ has reported an issue in which execution reports are delayed for Facebook (FB) orders. This is an industry-wide issue. Scottrade is processing executions back to clients as they are received. Thank you for your patience.

Boghie
05-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Uuuuggghhhhhhhh...

I was hoping for a FaceLift.

The Equity Fund charts look very sad. On the other hand, I think FaceBook will be a good hold. They priced it correctly, the market wasn't frothy, and you have to think they can make money. But, no bump for today - for the reasons noted...

Mapper
05-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Put my limit order in. These are the messages I got from Wells Fargo Advisors:

Attention: Facebook [FB] - NASDAQ is delayed in submitting executions back. Please do not cancel and replace orders for which you are awaiting an execution. Please wait for the execution to show in the system.

Attention: The only market orders accepted for Facebook today are for sell orders. All other order types for Facebook must be entered as limit orders.

Steel_Magnolia
05-18-2012, 01:49 PM

My market order filled at $40.01.

James48843
05-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Somewhere just north of 432,000,000 shares have traded hands today in Facebook so far. 432 million shares.

I wonder if that was really just one million shares being traded 432 times so far today.

Psss....t...... Do you wanna buy some shares of this here stock I got tucked away?

James48843
05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Statement of Senator Carl Levin (MI) , yesterday, about FACEBOOK IPO

Mr. President, tomorrow will be a day in tax history - when Facebook goes public, it will get a $16 billion tax deduction, which is the largest tax deduction ever taken by any corporation exploiting the stock option tax loophole.

Facebook's recent filings in anticipation of its upcoming stock offering provide new facts about its plans to use stock option tax deductions, not only to help it avoid future taxes for years and years to come, but to get a refund of taxes it's already paid.

Facebook's recent registration statement shows that, due to hundreds of millions of stock options handed out to its founders and top executives, it plans to claim stock option tax deductions worth a whopping $16 billion. That's more than twice as much as estimates a few months ago, and many, many times larger than the stock option expenses shown on Facebook's ledgers.

Facebook is a booming, successful company. Its securities filing boasts of double-digit increases in Facebook's average revenue per user, citing a 32 percent increase in 2010, and another 25 percent increase in 2011, with "growth across all regions." Despite trumpeting those revenue increases to investors, Facebook is planning at the same time to tell Uncle Sam it has no taxable income, offsetting its revenues with stock option tax deductions.

Facebook's $16 billion stock option tax deduction is so huge, it will enable Facebook to claim a $500 million refund of taxes paid over the prior two years and wipe out this year's tax bill. The company says it will also use its deduction to create a "net operating loss" that can be used to eliminate its profits and its taxes for up to 20 years into the future.

As with so much of our tax code, it's not the law-breaking that shocks the conscience, it's the stuff that's allowed. For years, my Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations has identified this stock option tax loophole and tried to explain its cost, its unfairness, and why the loophole should be closed. Facebook's $16 billion tax deduction brings the issue into sharp focus.

This profitable corporation will stop paying any federal corporate income taxes, simply because it gave hundreds of millions of stock options to its executives. It will go from a corporate citizen that paid its taxes, to one that not only pays no taxes to Uncle Sam on its profits, but gets a tax refund.

Some Facebook defenders claim the company's nonpayment of taxes is offset by the taxes paid by its executives. But first of all, Facebook demands and receives government services that its executives don't - from patent protection to cybersecurity to trade enforcement.

Second, the fact that executives pay taxes doesn't mean corporations shouldn't pay taxes. Facebook should be paying its fair share, and it's only through a tax loophole that it won't be. Adding insult to injury is that one of its founders recently renounced his U.S. citizenship just to avoid paying his taxes.

Facebook is an American success story. Its ability to use a stock option loophole to zero out its U.S. tax bill, despite ample profits, makes no sense. It also isn't fair to the rest of American taxpayers who will have to pay more because Facebook pays nothing.

In these tough economic times, Congress needs to make choices about where to spend taxpayer dollars. The stock option tax deduction, as demonstrated by Facebook, fuels excessive executive pay, shifts the tax burden from corporations to other taxpayers, and enables profitable corporations to get out of paying a dime toward the country that helped make their success possible.

What could our nation do with the billions of dollars it will lose when Facebook uses the stock-option loophole? Well, we could reduce the federal deficit. Or we could pay for programs to help kids go to college, or programs that protect our seniors and veterans, put cops on the beat, or teachers in classrooms.

The stock-option loophole should have been closed long before Facebook's stock option bonanza. But surely the case of Facebook illustrates to the Senate, to the Congress, and to the American people why we should close this loophole. If Congress were to enact the Levin-Sherrod Brown bill, S. 1375, it would close an unjustified corporate tax loophole that boosts executive pay at the expense of everybody else. -

Sen. Carl Levin, 5/17/2012

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Well, well, well. I just checked my Scottrade account. No order filled. No pending orders. These things rarely work out but for some reason no one wanted my bid of $39 during the day. So, I just bought after hours for $38.28.

Intrepid_Timer
05-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Well, well, well. I just checked my Scottrade account. No order filled. No pending orders. These things rarely work out but for some reason no one wanted my bid of $39 during the day. So, I just bought after hours for $38.28.

If Google is/was any indication, you should see the pop in FB on Monday and/or Tuesday. But you already knew that. ;)

tsptalk
05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
If Google is/was any indication, you should see the pop in FB on Monday and/or Tuesday. But you already knew that. ;)
I actually remember that. The IPO was $85 and I wasn't able to get in until about $100. It dropped back toward $85 and I think I sold it when it got back to $100 or $105. A couple of months later, after it reported its 1st earnings report, it was $200. :sick:

tsptalk
05-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Doh! At 7:03 AM this morning (Saturday) I got a trade confirmation that I actually did buy Facebook on Friday - in that first order:

Scottrade, Inc.
Intra-Day Trade Notification - May 19, 2012
Dear Client:
RE Account: *****
Trade Type: BUY
Security Symbol: FB
Quantity: 1000
Price: $38.019

Great price, and I have no idea how I could have gotten it basically at the day's low bid, but now, because I didn't think this first order went thru, I own twice as much as I wanted. As long as it doesn't go below the IPO price I'm fine, but I may have to hold for 3 days because of the 3-day settlement rule in my IRA. :sick:

I can imagine this is going to be a widespread problem because of the poor reporting of these trades yesterday.

tsptalk
05-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Mark Zuckerberg Marries Priscilla Chan - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mark-zuckerberg-marries-priscilla-chan/story?id=16389194)

James48843
05-20-2012, 03:24 PM
You should have invested in Apple. Have you seen the new app for the ipad?

Ipad beer. Featured at Munich's Hofbrau house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8Eimr-fm0

If that doesn't kick facebook's butt, I don't know what will.

Applebeer. There's an app for that.

James48843
05-21-2012, 05:50 AM
General Motors says it's stopping all facebook advertising.

General Motors Co. plans to stop advertising with Facebook Inc. after deciding that paid ads on the site have little impact on consumers' car purchases, according to a GM official.

More:
4 Reasons To Stay Clear Of Facebook - Seeking Alpha (http://seekingalpha.com/article/603951-4-reasons-to-stay-clear-of-facebook)

tsptalk
05-21-2012, 08:16 AM
General Motors says it's stopping all facebook advertising.
Old news (last week) - aleady priced in. But I see it's trading below the IPO price pre-hours. Could have something to do with the disaster the Nasdaq had with FB orders on Friday. Many stories like mine above.

dhstdog
05-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Where is the floor. They are done supporting it. I think when the dust settles 31 to 37 trading range is about right. Time will tell.

guppie
05-21-2012, 08:58 AM
I see a little value at 28

James48843
05-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Old news (last week) - aleady priced in. But I see it's trading below the IPO price pre-hours. Could have something to do with the disaster the Nasdaq had with FB orders on Friday. Many stories like mine above.

Yep- I am sure there are a lot of stories like your story - filling orders twice, etc.
May you find solace in knowing you are not alone.

Good luck!

Still, it's traded 122 million shares today alone. That's still a very, very active stock. Hope it settles down and works out for you favorably.

tsptalk
05-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks. Well, it doesn't look like it is going to hit $50 during the first week, like I had thought (although we do have 3 more days... :)) but being a trader of TNA, TNZ, FAS and FAZ, this drawdown isn't all that bad yet.

The trouble is my double fill on the order, and the fact that this trade may turn into a longer hold than I would have wanted. My average price is $38.15 so I'm not dead yet. The other problem is, today's gap down makes $38 a tough nut to crack on the way back up. All of the IPO buyers are stuck and may sell once they get even.

I sold Google a few days after its IPO and regretted it. I just don't know if I have it in me to hold long-term - especially since the world is going bancrupt. :)

Scout333
05-21-2012, 01:55 PM
The trouble is my double fill on the order, and the fact that this trade may turn into a longer hold than I would have wanted.

Tom, Any chance your brokerage could be persuaded/ forced to revoke one of your trades due to the massive problems they had with these trades? Just askin!

James48843
05-21-2012, 02:02 PM
I sold Google a few days after its IPO and regretted it. I just don't know if I have it in me to hold long-term - especially since the world is going bancrupt. :)

Hey- that's ok. I heard the world is going to end on December 21 anyway, so it's not like you'll need the money or anything.....

tsptalk
05-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Tom, Any chance your brokerage could be persuaded/ forced to revoke one of your trades due to the massive problems they had with these trades? Just askin!
I called to see what they had to say, but it was partially my fault for going in after hours and buying because I did not get confirmation yet.

If I thought for a second that if the stock opened up 10% instead of down, that I would have also complained... maybe. But I can't say I'd be that honest. I still take karma into consideration. :D

Scout333
05-21-2012, 02:35 PM
I called to see what they had to say, but it was partially my fault for going in after hours and buying because I did not get confirmation yet.

If I thought for a second that if the stock opened up 10% instead of down, that I would have also complained... maybe. But I can't say I'd be that honest. I still take karma into consideration. :D

You're an honest man Tom! I had a similar event except it was on the sell side. I also let it go. I waited and bought back when the price dropped. It worked out for the good. Believe it will work out for the good for you too. JMHO:)

ILoveTDs
05-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Good luck Tom

berline
05-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Brutal. Have your come up with a plan? just ride it out or is there a stop limit in place?

Thanks. Well, it doesn't look like it is going to hit $50 during the first week, like I had thought (although we do have 3 more days... :)) but being a trader of TNA, TNZ, FAS and FAZ, this drawdown isn't all that bad yet.

The trouble is my double fill on the order, and the fact that this trade may turn into a longer hold than I would have wanted. My average price is $38.15 so I'm not dead yet. The other problem is, today's gap down makes $38 a tough nut to crack on the way back up. All of the IPO buyers are stuck and may sell once they get even.

tsptalk
05-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Brutal. Have your come up with a plan? just ride it out or is there a stop limit in place?
It's getting a little embarrassing. I'm stuck until Wed. at least because of the 3-day settlement rule, but I don't think I would sell all of it at this price. Like I said, it may have to turn into a buy and hold. Their first public quarterly report may be the timeframe now for me.
At this point there will be line of folks looking to sell at $38 - $42 - where a lot of people bought the IPO and first day of trading and created an open gap, so I think there will be a move back up there, but that may be a brick wall to get over. But it it does get over that level...

FishSqueezer
05-22-2012, 10:14 AM
From Reuters via Daily Ticker: (http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/facebook-bankers-secretly-cut-facebook-revenue-estimates-middle-133648905.html?l=1)

"Facebook bankers secretly cut Facebook's revenue estimates in middle of IPO roadshow"

If true, big troubles a-brewing!

tsptalk
05-22-2012, 11:43 AM
The saga continues...

The trouble is my double fill on the order, and the fact that this trade may turn into a longer hold than I would have wanted.

If I thought for a second that if the stock opened up 10% instead of down, that I would have also complained... maybe. But I can't say I'd be that honest. I still take karma into consideration.

Out of the blue, I got a call from Scottrade telling me that they may be able to cancel my second / duplicate order, and wanted to know if I was interested. I said sure. They have a conference call with the Nasdaq where they will be discussing it and get back to me. Huh! I didn't see that coming. Must be that karma thing. :)

Mapper
05-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks for sharing...wonder how many people are in the same boat as you...and how it will affect share prices.

tsptalk
05-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks for sharing...wonder how many people are in the same boat as you...and how it will affect share prices.
I had heard in the middle of the day on Monday that some investors still had not heard if they had bought it or not. Crazy.

James48843
05-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Yahoo shows that facebook dropped to 23 at some point this morning, before edging back up to 32. Does that make any sense?

tsptalk
05-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Sounds like a bad tick. What else can go wrong? :)

Decisionpoint.com doesn't show that. It has the low near 31.

Intrepid_Timer
05-23-2012, 09:00 AM
With Facebook up this morning, any chance those that invest in it could be considered the dumb money and as such, could it be considered a contrarian indicator? Nothing personal mind you...........:toung:

tsptalk
05-23-2012, 09:44 AM
The saga continues...

Out of the blue, I got a call from Scottrade telling me that they may be able to cancel my second / duplicate order, and wanted to know if I was interested. I said sure. They have a conference call with the Nasdaq where they will be discussing it and get back to me. Huh! I didn't see that coming. Must be that karma thing. :)
Just a follow up - I woke up today and Scottrade had cancelled one of duplicate purchases of FB. That added about $7K to my account. I am pretty surprised, and pleased with their efforts on this. Remember, they came to me about this. I originally wrote this off as my problem. Nice job Scottrade!

James48843
05-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Sounds to me like Scotttrade is trying to do damage control.

Did you see this?

At the same time, with lawsuits literally mounting by the hour, it seems anyone within an arms reach of this deal is going to have some serious explaining to do. While shareholder suits are commonplace and often frivolous, the problem with this grievance is that it's grounded in populism, it's easy to understand, it will get wide mainstream coverage, and it's of interest to about one billion people.

As I write, shareholder suits have already been filed in New York and California. The State of Massachusetts has subpoenaed Morgan Stanley (MS (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ms&ql=1)), following reports that it allegedly only told a few of its best clients that its analyst was cutting his revenue outlook for the company. The entire underwriting syndicate (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-23/morgan-stanley-goldman-sachs-sued-over-facebook-ipo.html) --(GS (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=gs&ql=1)), (JPM (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=jpm&ql=1)), (BAC (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=bac&ql=1)), (BCS (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BCS&ql=0))-- is being sued, as is Facebook's newlywed CEO and several board members. In addition, the Nasdaq (NDAQ (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=NDAQ&ql=0)) has also been sued, and the SEC and FINRA are launching investigations (http://news.yahoo.com/facebook-shares-fall-valuation-doubts-rise-134021413--sector.html). Congressional hearings and probes can't be far off.

That story is over on Yahoo.

A lot of people not happy with how FB launch went.

Fury Over Facebook IPO Grows, Lawsuits Mount | Breakout - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/fury-over-facebook-ipo-grows-lawsuits-mount-150039330.html;_ylt=ArvM0iGSkRqfqVv7iq9JeCmiuYdG;_ ylu=X3oDMTQzcm9ib3VjBG1pdANGaW5hbmNlIEZQIEp1bWJvdH JvbiBMaXRlBHBrZwMzYWJjZjc5OC00MmM5LTNiZWMtYmMzZi1h MTIzMGM1ZmZkMjEEcG9zAzEEc2VjA2p1bWJvdHJvbgR2ZXIDN2 M4YzhmNjAtYTRlOC0xMWUxLWE1ZmUtNjE2YWI4YjRmMmRh;_yl g=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3Rh aWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3)

Minnow
05-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Remember, they came to me about this. I originally wrote this off as my problem. Nice job Scottrade!

Now, you will be demonized in the media as a "rogue trader" that started the cascade downward. You'll be famous!!!:laugh:

Viva_La_Migra
05-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Just a follow up - I woke up today and Scottrade had cancelled one of duplicate purchases of FB. That added about $7K to my account. I am pretty surprised, and pleased with their efforts on this. Remember, they came to me about this. I originally wrote this off as my problem. Nice job Scottrade!

Now, just pretend you're Birchtree and hold your position during the current storm of controversy. In fact, you'll be able to pick up a few "wall flowers" now that the price has dropped a bit and charge ahead soon enough. Snort!

tsptalk
05-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Sounds to me like Scotttrade is trying to do damage control.

Did you see this?

That story is over on Yahoo.

A lot of people not happy with how FB launch went.

Fury Over Facebook IPO Grows, Lawsuits Mount | Breakout - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/fury-over-facebook-ipo-grows-lawsuits-mount-150039330.html;_ylt=ArvM0iGSkRqfqVv7iq9JeCmiuYdG;_ ylu=X3oDMTQzcm9ib3VjBG1pdANGaW5hbmNlIEZQIEp1bWJvdH JvbiBMaXRlBHBrZwMzYWJjZjc5OC00MmM5LTNiZWMtYmMzZi1h MTIzMGM1ZmZkMjEEcG9zAzEEc2VjA2p1bWJvdHJvbgR2ZXIDN2 M4YzhmNjAtYTRlOC0xMWUxLWE1ZmUtNjE2YWI4YjRmMmRh;_yl g=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3Rh aWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3)
I see some of these folks as whiners. Unless the problem was in the ordering, I don't see where people have a complaint. Some IPO's go up, some go down. There are no guarantees. If people couldn't sell on Friday, I can see that as an issue. But we all knew the deal going in (for the most part). No one put a gun to the head of these people to buy. Many here (TSP Talk) were skeptical and a lot smarter than I was about this. I thought the negative hype was overblown, but as you can see by the poll results, 90% figured this was a dud before it began trading.

My problem was the order screw up where I got twice the shares. It had nothing to do with my ignorance of facebook's value.

tsptalk
05-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Now, you will be demonized in the media as a "rogue trader" that started the cascade downward. You'll be famous!!!:laugh:
The man who took down facebook. :D

Intrepid_Timer
05-23-2012, 05:19 PM
If they had priced the IPO at $29, there would be more happy people right now. I know they recently raised the IPO price to $38, I wonder what it was before?VALUATION GURU: Facebook Is Worth $29 - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/valuation-guru-facebook-is-worth-29-2012-5?nr_email_referer=1&utm_source=Triggermail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Business%20Insider%20Select&utm_campaign=Business%20Insider%20Select%202012-05-23)

Viva_La_Migra
05-23-2012, 05:34 PM
I see some of these folks as whiners. Unless the problem was in the ordering, I don't see where people have a complaint. Some IPO's go up, some go down. There are no guarantees. If people couldn't sell on Friday, I can see that as an issue. But we all knew the deal going in (for the most part). No one put a gun to the head of these people to buy. Many here (TSP Talk) were skeptical and a lot smarter than I was about this. I thought the negative hype was overblown, but as you can see by the poll results, 90% figured this was a dud before it began trading.

My problem was the order screw up where I got twice the shares. It had nothing to do with my ignorance of facebook's value.
It remains to be seen whether we who did not buy the IPO are smarter than you. The price will go up. The question is, will you hold onto your shares long enough to profit?

Viva_La_Migra
05-23-2012, 05:35 PM
The man who took down facebook. :D

He accomplished what the Winklevoss twins could not. ;)

James48843
05-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Letter today to FACEBOOK users from CEO Mark Zuckerberg:

A MUST READ!

A Message about Facebook « Borowitz Report (http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/05/25/a-message-about-facebook/)

uscfanhawaii
05-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Letter today to FACEBOOK users from CEO Mark Zuckerberg:

A MUST READ!

A Message about Facebook « Borowitz Report (http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/05/25/a-message-about-facebook/)

LOL!! :nuts:

On the same page was another great one ....Obama (http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/04/28/obamas-use-of-complete-sentences-stirs-controversy/)

Borowitz is a gas! :D:D

tsptalk
05-29-2012, 11:30 AM
I had put in a stop below $30 and I'm out. What a disaster.

Intrepid_Timer
05-29-2012, 11:34 AM
If they had priced the IPO at $29, there would be more happy people right now. I know they recently raised the IPO price to $38, I wonder what it was before?VALUATION GURU: Facebook Is Worth $29 - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/valuation-guru-facebook-is-worth-29-2012-5?nr_email_referer=1&utm_source=Triggermail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Business%20Insider%20Select&utm_campaign=Business%20Insider%20Select%202012-05-23)

Guess this guy who valued FB at $29 is adding to his legendary status. Don't know what calls he has made that didn't work out though...................

RealMoneyIssues
05-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Guess this guy who valued FB at $29 is adding to his legendary status. Don't know what calls he has made that didn't work out though...................

Hmmm, maybe I should pick some up at $29 and see where it goes... How about those folks that price FB at $9 :D

James48843
05-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Meanwhile, Ford Motor Company (Symbol F) , who actually MAKES something, is making money every year, and is trading at 6 times earnings, at just $10.82 a share.

V-A-L-U-E.

F? or FB?

James48843
05-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Options market is going crazy today on FB stock to. Seems to indicate facebook is expected to be below 20 by Jan 2013.

FB Options | Facebook, Inc. Stock - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/op?s=FB&m=2013-01)

That is just waaaaayyy too wild a movement.

Viva_La_Migra
05-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Meanwhile, Ford Motor Company (Symbol F) , who actually MAKES something, is making money every year, and is trading at 6 times earnings, at just $10.82 a share.

V-A-L-U-E.

F? or FB?
AND, Ford didn't become part of Government Motors!;)

Intrepid_Timer
06-29-2012, 05:11 PM
With Facebook up this morning, any chance those that invest in it could be considered the dumb money and as such, could it be considered a contrarian indicator? Nothing personal mind you...........

That's it, I'm adding Facebook to my timing system as a contrarian indicator.................:suspicious:

tsptalk
07-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Wow, Facebook was down 8.5% in regular trading today, and after announcing, and beating, earnings after hours, they are down another 9.5%. :sick: Thought about buying prior to the earnings release late today, but haven't been in the mood to gamble. Sheew! Dodged a bullet.

Intrepid_Timer
07-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Wow, Facebook was down 8.5% in regular trading today, and after announcing, and beating, earnings after hours, they are down another 9.5%. :sick: Thought about buying prior to the earnings release late today, but haven't been in the mood to gamble. Sheew! Dodged a bullet.

See what I mean about contrarian indicator? Tomorrow should be up for the markets also.....................;)

sniper
07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
might be a buy after this excessive knee-jerk

clester
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
might be a buy after this excessive knee-jerk
I wouldn't touch it with your money. A Facebook phone? Really? Give me a break. Facebook, zynga, apple, google....... This stuff is near a top. I don't think it's over but the easy money has been made. Look at microsoft. Its stock has been flat for years? I have a feeling we are near a 2000 tech bubble burst scenario with these stocks. Way overhyped and overpriced.

Dont get me wrong. I think software and the like is the future. But these stocks aren't. Just MHO. Look for the next big thing to buy.

pmcint01
07-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Make you wonder if this is how Google and Apple went their first year after an IPO. Maybe they struggle at first, but soar to 500 after a few years.

tsptalk
07-27-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't remember the Apple IPO, but GOOG was a big success from the get go. I remember I bought it near $100 (IPO price), and sold for a tiny profit shortly after. Sometimes buy and hold actually works, but as we can see - no gains since 2007.

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/072712a.gif

tsptalk
11-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Facebook is starting to look like Tesla (TSLA) (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/individual-stocks/18211-tsla-tesla-2.html#post431139) just before the H&S breakdown. May be a good short.

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/fb4.gif

tsptalk
11-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Facebook is starting to look like Tesla (TSLA) (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/individual-stocks/18211-tsla-tesla-2.html#post431139) just before the H&S breakdown. May be a good short.

Breaking down...

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/fb5.gif

tsptalk
11-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Looks like a short-able bounce in FB this morning. As long as it stays below 46 - 47.

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/fb6.gif

tsptalk
12-05-2013, 10:31 AM
I think we saw the "TSLA Fake-out" on Facebook yesterday after a rumor surfaced that FB was going to be added to the S&P 500 index. Turned out to not be true. The charts look very similar before the TSLA breakdown. The TSLA breakdown came as a result of earnings so Facebook may not act as quickly and violently.

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/120513a.gif

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/120513b.gif

Remember the Head and shoulders breakdown patterns?...

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/HS1.gifhttp://www.tsptalk.com/images/HS2.gif

tsptalk
12-09-2013, 02:13 PM
FB is currently trading at 48.79. I was stopped out on Friday at 49.01. Bad trade.

Looks like it wants to at least test the middle of the H&S head into the low 50's.

tsptalk
12-12-2013, 09:11 AM
... Facebook yesterday after a rumor surfaced that FB was going to be added to the S&P 500 index. Turned out to not be true.

A little follow up: It looks like Facebook is indeed going to be added to the S&P 500 after the close on Friday Dec 20.

That explains the recent pop, and it was real, but I wonder if we'll see a sell the news reaction on Dec 23? I don't know if I'll short it yet, but we may be seeing a clear H&S test of the head. I'll play it by ear.

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/HS2.gif

tsptalk
10-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Hmm, is it time to buy Facebook again? Double bottom at 150? Stop below $145?

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/101818c.gif

Bullitt
03-17-2021, 02:07 PM
Long overdue declining trend breakout.

tsptalk
10-26-2021, 01:41 PM
Hindsight is....

Bear flag breakdown below the 200-day EMA.

https://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/2021/102621e.gif

Bullitt
10-26-2021, 02:38 PM
The breakout from the downtrend resulted in a 30% gain to the top, maybe 20% if a stop was in around the 50 DMA so not the worst call. Not a fan of the company at all, but since it's all about FANG stocks, a breakdown in one isn't good news.

Support at around 305.

tsptalk
10-29-2021, 03:10 PM
MVRS, Facebook’s New Ticker Symbol, Leaves FAANG in Flux

Social-network company plans to trade in FB for MVRS. Is it MAANG now?

“Wait - does this mean we have to start saying MAANG instead of FAANG now??” tweeted one user.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebooks-new-ticker-leaves-faang-in-flux-11635460346?st=xpwq16lrjxneyyx&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Bullitt
10-29-2021, 05:28 PM
MVRS. When I first heard that I thought it was some new virus.

tsptalk
02-02-2022, 03:23 PM
Facebook shares plunge 18% on weak earnings, big forecast miss

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/02/facebook-parent-meta-fb-q4-2021-earnings.html

FB
-70.60 (-21.86%)
After Hours

Bullitt
02-02-2022, 03:46 PM
Down to January 2021 levels. "declining daily users." Call me old school, but something is wrong when 100% of US retirements are overly dependent on the earnings of a company that sees a future in people interacting as cartoon characters

Epic
02-02-2022, 05:49 PM
I've never ever understood where FB seems to think that it's inventing the Metaverse. The Metaverse already exists. It's out there and some very talented people make an extremely good living through it. One of the founders of SineSpace (Adam) had "Sinewave Entertainment" in Second Life selling MOCAP Animations, and was making 7 figures a year. When Zuck comes along and insinuates that he's creating the Metaverse.........well, that's just ridiculous. It's an outright lie.

bmneveu
02-03-2022, 09:00 AM
This company is a money printing machine. Down 25% right now sounds like a deal to me.

Bullitt
02-03-2022, 09:55 AM
Agree on the money printing due to it's addictiveness. The whole entire goal of this company is to keep you scrolling, that's why the best way to win is to not even have an account.

However, the ability to print money like it did in the past is going away thanks to the monopoly Apple holds on the smart phone world. Apple doesn't want anyone but Apple making money on ads if you're using their hardware. Google is already trying to force through an alternative to cookies that would only benefit Google and who knows how this would affect Android.

It's a play on the metaverse at this point, but everyone knows that. The question is how excited will people be when the COVID restrictions end? Restrictions have largely lessened and we're seeing via other companies (TDOC, PTON, ETSY, SHOP, ZM....) that once people can get again, there's much more to explore in the real world than behind a screen.

nnuut
02-03-2022, 09:59 AM
I quit Facebook over a year ago a good move!53177

DreamboatAnnie
02-03-2022, 10:00 AM
Bullitt and Nnuut, I Couldn't agree more. I despise Facebook! No account is the way to go!

DreamboatAnnie
02-03-2022, 10:03 AM
Agree. I also believe their renaming themselves is a marketing ploy due to all the negative news Facebook has received in last couple years!

I've never ever understood where FB seems to think that it's inventing the Metaverse. The Metaverse already exists. It's out there and some very talented people make an extremely good living through it. One of the founders of SineSpace (Adam) had "Sinewave Entertainment" in Second Life selling MOCAP Animations, and was making 7 figures a year. When Zuck comes along and insinuates that he's creating the Metaverse.........well, that's just ridiculous. It's an outright lie.

Epic
02-03-2022, 12:11 PM
https://pics.me.me/thumb_this-guy-never-banned-you-fortelling-the-truth-myspace-3610804.png

I'm going back to MYSPACE where all the cool kids hang out, and you won't find your Mom lurking around trying to friend you all the time........YUK
Ha ha .... but seriously, I never used FB but I now have a couple bogus accounts just so I can access Marketplace. I do Motorcycle design and fabrication, and there's some good deals out there if you look hard enough. Tanks, Fenders, Project bikes, etc.

tsptalk
02-03-2022, 12:38 PM
I also believe their renaming themselves is a marketing ploy due to all the negative news Facebook has received in last couple years!

I made this joke in another thread, but I can't help myself... :D

They (FB / Meta) are changing their name again. This time to Face-Plant.

https://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/2022/020322e.gif

nnuut
02-03-2022, 12:48 PM
SPLAT!!!!!! 53186

Bullitt
02-03-2022, 01:28 PM
FB has managed to shave $200 billion off their market cap in one day making it the largest one day drop ever for US company.

Epic
02-03-2022, 05:07 PM
Testifying in the METAVERSE . . . . . LOL

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IdealisticTanBoto-size_restricted.gif

tsptalk
02-23-2022, 06:20 PM
Interesting - Open gap from post Covid crash rally getting filled.

https://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/2022/022322b.gif

Epic
02-26-2022, 09:26 AM
Just saw this: Facebook bans Russian state media from advertising and monetizing content on its platform
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/facebook-bans-russian-state-media-from-advertising-on-their-platform
Could this help redeem FB (cough....) sorry, Meta back to being a buy??? I'd throw a chunk of money at it if I thought it was gonna shoot up a decent amount. :scratchchin:

tsptalk
02-26-2022, 11:06 AM
I wonder how much money we're talking about here? Losing revenue isn't a good thing for their bottom line, but maybe it's peanuts, I don't know.

Just saw this: Facebook bans Russian state media from advertising and monetizing content on its platform
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/facebook-bans-russian-state-media-from-advertising-on-their-platform
Could this help redeem FB (cough....) sorry, Meta back to being a buy??? I'd throw a chunk of money at it if I thought it was gonna shoot up a decent amount. :scratchchin:

nnuut
02-26-2022, 04:49 PM
FACEWHAT? 53495

bmneveu
02-27-2022, 09:43 PM
I wonder how much money we're talking about here? Losing revenue isn't a good thing for their bottom line, but maybe it's peanuts, I don't know.

Probably peanuts. Looks like Russia ranks 37th on total users by country here https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/facebook-users-by-country

tsptalk
04-27-2022, 10:21 AM
Facebook Parent Meta Expected to Post Slowest Revenue Growth Since IPO

The earnings are set to be released after markets close on Wednesday.

Social-media company faces growing competition for users and privacy headwinds in advertising business

Facebook parent Meta Platforms Inc. FB -2.36% ▼ is expected to post its slowest revenue growth on record as the company navigates growing competition for users and privacy headwinds in its advertising business.

Meta’s stock price was battered in February when it posted quarterly results that showed a sharper-than-expected decline in profit, a gloomy revenue outlook and a drop in its daily active users.

Since that report, Meta shares have fallen nearly 44%, and the company has lost nearly $388 billion in market value.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/meta-platforms-facebook-fb-q1-earnings-report-2022-11651022191?st=c7obc1mrwepv5ag&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

tsptalk
04-27-2022, 11:53 AM
Facebook / Meta has been a dog for a while now, beaten down more than 50% off its 2021 highs. Last earnings season left a big whole in this chart. The whole meta thing may be costing them in the short term.

With expectations so low, is there an upside surprise bounce to be had here, or is this company toast? They report after the bell today.

https://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/2022/042722c.gif

tsptalk
04-27-2022, 04:12 PM
Facebook shares spike on better-than-expected quarterly earnings

Meta’s earnings per share for the first quarter topped analysts’ estimates.

Revenue came in below expectations, as did the company’s forecast for the second quarter.

As of Wednesday’s close, the stock was down almost 50% for the year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/27/meta-fb-q1-2022-earnings.html

Up 18% after hours

tsptalk
07-25-2022, 10:36 AM
Facebook’s stumbling ad business lies at the center of tech earnings week

Facebook parent Meta will report second-quarter earnings on Wednesday, sandwiched in between the other Big Tech companies on Tuesday and Thursday.

Facebook’s online ad business has been hurt by Apple’s iOS update and a weakening economy.

Snap reported disappointing earnings last week, raising concern about what’s in store for Meta.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/25/-facebooks-stumbling-ad-business-at-the-center-of-big-tech-earnings-.html

tsptalk
10-26-2022, 02:51 PM
Meta, aka Facebook, is down 6% heading into tonight's earnings report.

tsptalk
10-27-2022, 08:59 AM
The "Metaverse" isn't working for Facebook...

Meta shares plunge 24% to the lowest price since 2016

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/27/meta-stock-falls-23percent-on-earnings-miss-analyst-downgrades.html

Bullitt
10-27-2022, 09:36 AM
Just heard an ad about the metaverse and how it's being marketed as a way to solve logistic and transportation issues with simulations. Not sure if that's the answer.

Meta is blaming most of their woes on Apple's restrictive advertising rules in the name of privacy. Sure that's adding to the pressure, but it doesn't explain a 70% collapse. I was considering buying this in October 2021 when it was down 15% from the high.

tsptalk
11-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Meta could begin large-scale layoffs this week, report says

Meta could begin to carry out large-scale layoffs as soon as Wednesday, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal.

The layoffs are expected to impact thousands of employees, the report said.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/06/meta-could-begin-large-scale-layoffs-this-week-report-says.html

tsptalk
12-05-2022, 01:09 PM
Time to short Meta?

*disclosure: I have no position at this time, but that could change.

https://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/2022/120522d.gif

TommyIV
12-06-2022, 09:54 AM
Time to short Meta?

It sure was.

Meta’s Targeted Ad Model Faces Restrictions in Europe (https://www.wsj.com/articles/metas-targeted-ad-model-faces-restrictions-in-europe-11670335772?st=2jedqu67eke9xqe&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink)
META is currently down around 6% today.

tsptalk
11-24-2023, 02:41 PM
Zuckerberg needed some holiday cash.

"Zuckerberg has been selling $9 million worth of Meta shares every day for the last few weeks.

"If he continues this trend, it will take him more than 52 years to completely sell his stake"

https://twitter.com/GrahamStephan/status/1727311064252256600?t=fOe-SxbMnXr4uCbZgofhzA&s=19