PDA

View Full Version : Interfund Transfer 2/17 for 2/18/05

tsptalk
02-16-2005, 11:23 PM
The bulls seem to be running out of steam. I am initiating an interfund transfer this morning going to 100% G fund. This will be effective Friday 2/18.

Rolo
02-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Whoo-hoo! Stocks are gonna take off now! :D

Hey, how do the overbought/oversold indicators look, Tom, I dunno how to read those yet.

lsitter
02-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Rolo wrote:

They better not! I just went 100% G today, also. Hopefully, one more day of up. I wish I would have made the move yesterday. I'm coming out of 100% S, it's been a good few weeks for me.

tsptalk
02-17-2005, 09:15 AM
The short term ones are overbought but slipping down during the last couple days are no movement. The longer term 21-day McCellan Oscillator is solidly overbought.

OH, and the AAII sentiment is 36 bulls, 30 bears. Not a bad reading for the market. If bears over take bulls, I will get bullish. 2 to 1 bulls to bears is a bearish sign.

ou81200
02-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Tom---Ya got me scared:s. But I'm not ready to retreat to 100% G fund just yet. I think I will go from 50% G, 25C, 25I to 100%F just to see what happens. The way I've been seeing it, it seems to well on the short term when the market takes a turn south. Thiswill be a very short move (1 day only?).

Call me a brave soul:end:.

Spaf
02-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Yho! Tom!

U maybe should see this!

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/14/news/economy/blogging/index.htm

http://www.smileys.ws/sm/action/00000002.gif Rgds

tsptalk
02-17-2005, 08:04 PM
tsptalk wrote:
The bulls seem to be running out of steam. I am initiating an interfund transfer this morning going to 100% G fund. This will be effective Friday 2/18.
Oh crap! I was just informed that my Feb 17th comments were never uploaded and that the 16th were still there. I just uploaded the new one. Oh well. I guess I won't have to do comments for Feb 18. At least I sent out the email alerts and updated the message board timely. Shew!

Too much going on. My apologies. :?
Tom

vectorman
02-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Might not be too bad for those who missed your change.Do you think we might see a little bounce tomorrow?

tsptalk
02-17-2005, 09:07 PM
If we get a bounce Friday I think it will be sold next week. If we fall again Friday, next week may stabilize some.

tsptalk
02-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Spaf wrote:
Yho! Tom!

U maybe should see this!

Now you tell me. :D Thanks.

Rod
02-26-2005, 12:05 AM
C'mon now, Tom... we KNOW you're kick'n yerself in the beehind!!!:D

I know I would be...:shock: Since Wed:

DJIA: :}2.15%

NAZ: :}1.73%

S&P: :}2.28%

Wilshire 4500: :}2.29%

EAFE: :}1.36%

I sure hope next week doesn't present a LOW buy-in opportunity for ya!;)

You know I'm just mess'n with ya... God Bless:^

Rod
02-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Rolo wrote:

YOU WERE RIGHT!!!:^

Spaf
02-26-2005, 12:52 AM
stsptalk wrote:
Spaf wrote:
Yho! Tom!

U maybe should see this!

Now you tell me. :D Thanks.
Hey us govement employees got to stick together http://www.smileys.ws/sm/action/00000046.gif Rgds :) Spaf

Spaf
02-26-2005, 01:03 AM
Tom......What U thinking about Monday? Up:}? Down:{? U got more charts than we do!

Do we eat steaks?

Do we eat whipsaw?

My vote is steaks. If I eat annuder whipsaw, I'll puke!

This trading range is like eating C-rations!

Rgds, be careful (maybe)! :u Spaf

Rod
02-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Spaf wrote:
Tom......What U thinking about Monday? Up:}? Down:{? U got more charts than we do!

Do we eat steaks?

Do we eat whipsaw?

My vote is steaks. If I eat annuder whipsaw, I'll puke!

This trading range is like eating C-rations!

Rgds, be careful (maybe)! :u Spaf
I say, "STEAK"!!! Heck... LOBSTER!!!:!

It's kinda hard to ignore that seasonality data for the last trading day of Feb.:dude:

Then again, yesterday could have been that day...:*

God Bless:^

Rod
02-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Hey Tom, now that I think about it, you kinda remind me of someone...

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/images/avatars/1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/bic4jesus/Tom.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/bic4jesus/Tom1.jpg

http://www.jimcarreynettet.dk/billeder/sixmillion.gif

Do you nowfeel like $6,000,000???:D

GTO1970
02-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Tom,

where did the picture go????

mark
03-04-2005, 08:14 AM
I applaude you for creating this web page. I'm not a financial savy person, but your page do provide me the foundation. I've probaably missed numerous opportunities to create more wealth within my account. I now have the ability to get more involved. Be Blessed:^

mark
03-04-2005, 08:15 AM
How long should I maintain everything in the G?

nnuut
03-04-2005, 08:28 AM
That is a very good question Mark. Nobody knows, but things are risky right now. You have to do what you think is right. I look at what the others are allocating,YAHOO Finance, currency rates, etc. The market is CRAZY and you never REALLY know what it's gonna do. Some members are really savy and still make bad desisions. I don't post my allocations because someone MIGHT allocate based on what I do and that would be a mistake. Be careful out there! :*I think we are in for a big tumble in the down direction. :U

tsptalk
03-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Rod wrote:

It's difficult to know when someone is writing in sarcasm. ;) I can't tell if that's a compliment or a knock. :D

tsptalk
03-04-2005, 08:47 AM
mark wrote:
I applaude you for creating this web page. I'm not a financial savy person, but your page do provide me the foundation. I've probaably missed numerous opportunities to create more wealth within my account. I now have the ability to get more involved. Be Blessed:^
Excellent! Thank you Mark and welcome!

tsptalk
03-04-2005, 08:52 AM
mark wrote:
I will remain in the G fund until we see more of a dip. In todays' market comments I (http://www.tsptalk.com/comments.html) talk about what happens when we see jobs reports surprises. Today's number (262,000) was a pretty good number. A bit high but maybe not too high. But thisrally might be sold off later today as the bulls nor bears seem to want to take a stand.

Show-me
03-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Every time I see Tom post I can't get that sound effect out of my head. The one when he would do something with his bionic parts.

Killer show.

Funny how that will be possible in the near future. Not the strength part but the limbs that look real and have better dexterity.

tsptalk
03-04-2005, 09:07 AM
tsptalk wrote:
mark wrote:
I will remain in the G fund until we see more of a dip. In todays' market comments I (http://www.tsptalk.com/comments.html) talk about what happens when we see jobs reports surprises. Today's number (262,000) was a pretty good number. A bit high but maybe not too high. But thisrally might be sold off later today as the bulls nor bears seem to want to take a stand.
I don't want to sound like a stubborn perma-bear but my indicators still suggest more choppiness meaning strength shouldbe sold, and weakness bought.

It looks like the market is cheering this morning. If I was invested already I may use today or Monday as a day to step aside.

Mike
03-04-2005, 09:10 AM
For once, I was right about the economic data. I'll gladly take ~1% gain on my account for a couple days' worth of investment. :D

I'm trying to decide if Monday will be a profit-taking day or not. Hmmmm...

Maxwell
03-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Tom,

I have a question. I was wondering what the difference is really between making interfund transfers and contribution allocations. I looked at your FAQ posted on this site, and it touched upon the subject, but I am trying to get a better understanding of the difference between the two. Up to yesterday, I have been making interfund transfers andinitially it seemed to go through with no problem, but subsequently making those interfund transfers seemed to change the total contributions to my account, but would not reflect properly in the distribution percentages in the different funds. I then tried changing my contribution allocations, and the next day, immediately I received the e-mail confirmation saying that the change was made properly. I understand that you suggested if you do one you should do interfund transfers, and if it does not seem to change, then do contribution allocations. But usually to notice if it did not change, you have to wait till the next day, and then by the time you see there was no difference and make a contribution allocation change, the effect probably won't be seen until the following day, so you lose out on one day of where you wanted your percentages on the different funds to be. What would you suggest, always do both? Can you just do contribution allocations and will that be sufficient or do you have to do interfund transfers as well. Thanks for your help.

Maxwell

nnuut
03-04-2005, 09:22 AM
That is the Question Mike. If I take the leap into stocks the bottom will fallout. If I don't it will set record highs. Just do the opposite of what I do and youmake out.:!Lurking!

mark
03-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Good point as nothing is promised. What are yoiur distributions right now?:?

vectorman
03-04-2005, 09:30 AM
mark wrote:
Mark if you feel that you are missing out on gains I suggest that you could keep a small portion in stocks during times of uncertainty. There's always risk, but if you look at the trends of the markets it may help. For example the S&P, Dow, and small caps had been bumping up against a resistancelevel; but the I fund had already broken through and is all off and running. Even if the I fund goes down alittle it has been consistently correcting back to an up trend. Look at the chart for the last two years, link at bottom. Now that may change, but don't let fear hold you back. What can you afford to put at risk and be able to sleep at night. Don't get caught up in the ' I should have or if I onlydone that 'feeling. That feeling will destroy you emotionally and also affect those around you. Even when Technobucks was playing it safe,I noticed he always kept alittle in stocks ie...7 C, 7S, 7I. If there is a rally at least you got a piece of it and won't feel so bad or if the market falls then you can tell yourself at least I protected the lion share of my assets. Either way I bet you'll feel better.:^

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/intchart/frames/frames.asp?symb=EFA

nnuut
03-04-2005, 09:31 AM
80% G. 10% I TO BE changed, haven't made up my mind which way to go, but UP days tend to be followed by DOWN days (profit taking) so probably go 100% "G" chicken that I am!!:*

vectorman
03-04-2005, 10:11 AM
nnuut wrote:
80% G. 10% I TO BE changed, haven't made up my mind which way to go, but UP days tend to be followed by DOWN days (profit taking) so probably go 100% "G" chicken that I am!!:*Unless you are an expert or have a high risk tolerance I suggest you don't try timing the market daily or weekly especially with your TSP account. Most of the members here make very few moves. Excluding Namor. Time, missed opportunties, and ignoring the long term market trend are your biggest enemy. Rolo and Sarahowould be worth following because of their consistent gains and very few moves. Even Rob is doing better this year than last year with fewer moves. Getting out before the market bottoms out is great, but missing out on rallies in the climb is worse. To get back in you now have to buy shares at a higher price. Fewer shares for the price means fewer gains if your going to stay in the market awhile. Hard to see into the future, but easy to see that the I fund is stilltrending up long term no matter how many people fear it. For those who are in and out of the market constantly, if your not very good at it, then stop it, not only are you gamblingwill your future retirement, but for some, your familys' future assets.If you want to practice then get a scotttrade account. Just my opinion and experience. Good luck and invest wisely.:^

cowboy
03-04-2005, 11:11 AM
vectorman wrote:
nnuut wrote:
80% G. 10% I TO BE changed, haven't made up my mind which way to go, but UP days tend to be followed by DOWN days (profit taking) so probably go 100% "G" chicken that I am!!:*Unless you are an expert or have a high risk tolerance I suggest you don't try timing the market daily or weekly especially with your TSP account. Most of the members here make very few moves. Excluding Namor. Time, missed opportunties, and ignoring the long term market trend are your biggest enemy. Rolo and Sarahowould be worth following because of their consistent gains and very few moves. Even Rob is doing better this year than last year with fewer moves. Getting out before the market bottoms out is great, but missing out on rallies in the climb is worse. To get back in you now have to buy shares at a higher price. Fewer shares for the price means fewer gains if your going to stay in the market awhile. Hard to see into the future, but easy to see that the I fund is stilltrending up long term no matter how many people fear it. For those who are in and out of the market constantly, if your not very good at it, then stop it, not only are you gamblingwill your future retirement, but for some, your familys' future assets.If you want to practice then get a scotttrade account. Just my opinion and experience. Good luck and invest wisely.:^

Hey Spaf another one that doesn't know COWBOY.

vectorman
03-04-2005, 12:10 PM
cowboy wrote:
vectorman wrote:
nnuut wrote:
80% G. 10% I TO BE changed, haven't made up my mind which way to go, but UP days tend to be followed by DOWN days (profit taking) so probably go 100% "G" chicken that I am!!:*Unless you are an expert or have a high risk tolerance ........ For those who are in and out of the market constantly, if your not very good at it, then stop it, not only are you gamblingwill your future retirement, but for some, your familys' future assets.If you want to practice then get a scotttrade account........invest wisely.:^

Hey Spaf another one that doesn't know COWBOY.
Message shorted above to point out what I was getting at. Not directed at you Cowboy, Namor, Coolhand....and others who aregood at getting in and out of the market. With risk comes rewards. The message was for for those moving in and out alot and have not profited from such moves. Some are moving and really have no idea why. I just wanted to put into focus what is at risk.Maybe I should have added if onewants to move in and out ofthe market alot, then observe Cowboy or Namor for balance. My apologies. I didn't mean to get out of line.Just a friendly reminder as Spaf would say- Be careful.

nnuut
03-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Well' well' well! Thanks for the free advise Victorman. It's nice to knowwhen you're not an expert. Which I am not. I think our fearless leader (Tom) amoung a few others are the closest thing we have to an expert on this board. It's nice to know that we have another EXPERT beside those few. Now I can follow your Transfers and really make a Killing.

Thanks for the advise.:^Darn, makes me want to post my moves! Just can't get them posted in time to be any help. It's a work thing you know. Sick today, got the Market Blues!!!

Hopefully we can all learn from one another.:i

cowboy
03-04-2005, 01:22 PM
No problem Vectorman and no appology needed! You have every right to say what ever you want. I agree with you on what your getting at. If you were investing last year and you bought the I fund and stayed in it. Itout performed everything else and you would not have made one single move. Everyone makes mistakes and if you follow me on the board, I make mistakes just like all these other market guru's. The market is going up it looks like and now Cowboy may need to ride the bronc more into the lope, hopefully uphill! Your insight is just as valuable as anyone elses. Hope your retirment is a wealthy one.:cool:

Rod
03-04-2005, 02:01 PM
tsptalk wrote:
Rod wrote:

It's difficult to know when someone is writing in sarcasm. ;) I can't tell if that's a compliment or a knock. :D
It's just a "funny"...:) It was something that crossed my mind, and I thought you would get a kick out it.:D

Rod
03-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Show-me wrote:
Every time I see Tom post I can't get that sound effect out of my head. The one when he would do something with his bionic parts.

Killer show.

Funny how that will be possible in the near future. Not the strength part but the limbs that look real and have better dexterity.

LOL!:D Yeah, I was thinking of posting:

ch ch cHcHCHCH CH CH...

But I thought some may not get it.:D

Rod
03-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Mike wrote:
For once, I was right about the economic data. I'll gladly take ~1% gain on my account for a couple days' worth of investment. :D

Yes!:^ It will be interesting to see how the (I) fairs with the Asian markets mainly down, but the EAFE nearly 2% as of now.:shock:

It just may be a good day to be 50% invested...;)

vectorman
03-04-2005, 02:47 PM
nnuut wrote:
Well' well' well! Thanks for the free advise Victorman. It's nice to knowwhen you're not an expert. Which I am not. I think our fearless leader (Tom) amoung a few others are the closest thing we have to an expert on this board. It's nice to know that we have another EXPERT beside those few. Now I can follow your Transfers and really make a Killing.

Thanks for the advise.:^Darn, makes me want to post my moves! Just can't get them posted in time to be any help. It's a work thing you know. Sick today, got the Market Blues!!!

Hopefully we can all learn from one another.:i
Sorry nnuut, I was out of line, let me have it, I deserve it and more.:(

03-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Show-me wrote:

There are over 7,000 of our guys/gals coming back from Iraq that could use this advance. If you see one of our heros at the airport please thank them. Either they are scared crapless (going) or they are on cloud nine (coming back). You will make their day and they deserve it.

Thank you!

TEUFEL HUNDEN
03-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Maxwell wrote:

Tom,

I have a question. I was wondering what the difference is really between making interfund transfers and contribution allocations.

Contribution allocations are what is comming out of your pay check into your TSP account. You can choose how you wish to contribute throughout the funds.

Interfund transfers is the $ that is already in your TSP account. You can choose how you wish to transfer the $ around through the funds.

EX: Lets say you paid $100.00 a month from your pay check into your TSP acount in the G Fund for 10 months you would have roughly $1000.00 plus gains from the fund. Now it is the 11th month and you wish to do an interfund transfer, so you transfer$1000.00 into the I fund, youstill have your contribution allocation paying $100.00 into the G fund. if you do not change it then it keeps paying from your paycheck into the G fund, so at 12 months you would be sitting at around $200.00 G Fund (plus gains) and $1000.00 I fund (plus gains or minus losses)

Rod
03-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Dr_Dubious wrote:
There are over 7,000 of our guys/gals coming back from Iraq that could use this advance. If you see one of our heros at the airport please thank them. Either they are scared crapless (going) or they are on cloud nine (coming back). You will make their day and they deserve it.

Thank you!

Thanx Dr!:^

When I deploy, I'll be more worried about not being able to manage my TSP in atimely manner.

But hey, maybe that'll keep my mind off of everything else.

God Bless:^

03-04-2005, 03:41 PM
No worries Rod.

Be careful about your mental health also. If you start having problems go see the docs.

In my hometown we have had three people come back from Iraq and hang themselves within five months and two attempted.

The effects of this war will last a couple generations.

God bless you and if you start getting depressed go see the docs, please.

The Pentagon does not keep stats on sucides for post war tramas. But 3 out of37 in my hometown gives me an idea that there is a problem. This is something I will study and I am going to donate a large chunk of change to organizations that are helping them.

nnuut
03-04-2005, 04:07 PM
No problem Vectorman. I've been LURKING around here sence Nov. of 2003 and have made some bad calls and some good calls. July of 2004 hurt bad, ask Tom. I think you gave some good advise, for a newbe. I know what the signals are, but sometimes get kicked in the Butt by unknowns, think we all do. If we could make IFT at 14:00 it would help alot. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Da NNUUT:l

tsptalk
03-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Maxwell wrote:
Tom,

I have a question. I was wondering what the difference is really between making interfund transfers and contribution allocations.
Maxwell -

Teufel hit it on the head (above post).I hope it helped. Let us know.

Tom

Rod
03-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Dr_Dubious wrote:
No worries Rod.

Be careful about your mental health also. If you start having problems go see the docs.

In my hometown we have had three people come back from Iraq and hang themselves within five months and two attempted.

The effects of this war will last a couple generations.

God bless you and if you start getting depressed go see the docs, please.

The Pentagon does not keep stats on sucides for post war tramas. But 3 out of37 in my hometown gives me an idea that there is a problem. This is something I will study and I am going to donate a large chunk of change to organizations that are helping them.

Thanx for you concerns & support.:^

tsptalk
03-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Mike wrote:

Something ain't right Mike. How'd you get to be on the right side? ;)

Did you pull the trigger or stay invested? (never mind. I see you did go to G.)

Nice job!

03-04-2005, 11:59 PM
tsptalk wrote:
Mike wrote:

Something ain't right Mike. How'd you get to be on the right side? ;)

Did you pull the trigger or stay invested?

Nice job!Great move. Believe it or not for the week the NAS was up 5 and the 500 was up about 10. THIS IS A CHOPPY market...if you are the wrong side you can get a limb chopped off. I will be watching your next move. Good going!

03-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Mike wrote:

Friend of mine was wondering the same thing earlier this morning........hmmmmmmmmmm :P

Did we make the right choice? I'd say with about 80% certainty, maybe......

03-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Rod wrote:

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/images/avatars/1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/bic4jesus/Tom.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/bic4jesus/Tom1.jpg

http://www.jimcarreynettet.dk/billeder/sixmillion.gif

Not cool Rod, Steve Austin was my hero growing up. Please don't taint the image.

03-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Farrah Facett. Wow!Imagine bagging that. Actually I have;).

Now Charlie Sheen has kicked Denise Richards out.

At this point all I am looking for is a pulse.

Rolo
03-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Dr_Dubious wrote:
At this point all I am looking for is a pulse.
haha!

Yes, some standards we just can't concede!

Maxwell
03-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Teufel,

Thanks. The way you explained it was perfectly clear, I fully understand the difference between the two now. The thing that was throwing me off, was sometimes when I do the interfund transfer, it does not always seem to go through properly in the distributions in the different funds. I am not sure why this is, or if anyone else has experienced this either.I was wondering if I needed to do the contribution allocations to correct this problem when it does not seem to go through properly. So I guess if I do thatthen it might correct that problem of not going through in the distribution of the funds,in addition to any future contributions from my paycheck will be allocated as such as well. What about if you wanted to increase the amount taken out of each paycheck and put into TSP, how do you do that? I don't see that feature, unless I am missing it, on the tsp website. I believe the limit is 15% for FERS, right? Thanks.

Maxwell

Tom - thanks also.

TEUFEL HUNDEN
03-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Maxwell,

sometimes when you make an Interfund transfer on the web site and you look at your account after you have done the IFT it looks as if it did not happen. If you attempt to make another IFT it will show the IFT you just requested and give you the option of canceling or changing it.

I'm active military, when I increase my % from my pay check I use mypay throughDFAS. I do not know how you could do it via the internet, but you can down load the proper forms off the TSP website and mail them in.

Tom, waiting for that golden op to jump in huh?

tsptalk
03-07-2005, 06:58 PM
TEUFEL HUNDEN wrote:
Tom, waiting for that golden op to jump in huh?
It's not so much that I'm looking for agood opportunity to get in, although one will eventually present itself, but rather I'm looking at this as the time to be out. I wouldn't feel good about having hundreds of members who follow my moves beingfully invested when my indicators are this mixed.

Maxwell
03-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Teufel,

When I make the interfund transfer, I am of course not expecting to see the change right away. I understand about making the transfer before 12 p.m. and the change being effective the next day, and making the transfer after 12 p.m. and the change being effective in 2 days. What is throwing me off is that after 2 days, I look at the contributions to my account and it shows the proper percentages in the different funds, and then when I look at my distributions in the different funds, next to the shares and share prices, it is not reflected the same way, it still shows the distribution as per my last interfund transfer, not the latest one, and this is 2 days or even more later. I don't know why that is. Have you ever heard of something like that happening or seen it yourself? The way I corrected it last time, was that after I made the interfund transfer, I also made the same change in the contribution allocations, and I got confirmation the next day that the change was made, and when I looked, the change was made in the allocations and in the distributions properly. Still not sure why that is. If you know, let me know. Thanks.

Maxwell

03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Maxwell wrote:
When I make the interfund transfer, I am of course not expecting to see the change right away. I understand about making the transfer before 12 p.m. and the change being effective the next day, and making the transfer after 12 p.m. and the change being effective in 2 days. What is throwing me off is that after 2 days, I look at the contributions to my account and it shows the proper percentages in the different funds, and then when I look at my distributions in the different funds, next to the shares and share prices, it is not reflected the same way, it still shows the distribution as per my last interfund transfer, not the latest one, and this is 2 days or even more later. I don't know why that is. Have you ever heard of something like that happening or seen it yourself? The way I corrected it last time, was that after I made the interfund transfer, I also made the same change in the contribution allocations, and I got confirmation the next day that the change was made, and when I looked, the change was made in the allocations and in the distributions properly. Still not sure why that is. If you know, let me know. Thanks.

Maxwell
Maxwell, interfund tranfers and contribution allocations are different entities. They have to be changed seperately. Interfund transfers move around money that is already in your account. Contribution allocations change the way "new money" is dispersed in your account from each pay check. When you log into your account to make changes, just look at the options. You'll see it.

tennisguy
03-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Well the G fund did not get the .01 today. Maybe tomorrow

Tennis Guy

grandma
03-08-2005, 12:45 AM
The daily update tonight (Monday/3-7): I understand the concept of the smart vs dumb money, and the experience level of these folks. But when you get into the divergence and percentages of highs and new highs, I am bewildered.:% That doesn't put me into the `dumb' - it just means my dyslexia won't compute, and, I don't want to overload it!!:l

:iI will just take what you say as truth, and watch for your move whenever these lines do whatever it is you want them to do. !!

Best of the market to you = Grandma

Spaf
03-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Grandma (Pat)

We are also learning with you!

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/technical/trading_secrets.htm

Understand the market, set stops. We all make mistakes, but, the secret is bailing on unprofitability and trying to not ride the roller coaster to the bottom. Sellect a stop and trailing stop as the market goes bullish, when the market continues to go up advance your stops. When it goes down and hits your stops; bail. Conserve profits to play another day. Good advice, but not always easy to do. However, you got to have fun some way! Besides, it's only money!

Rgds!!!!Don't fall in the oil spots! :) Spaf

Mike
03-08-2005, 03:13 AM
Tom, that was my one good move of the year. It's all downhill from here. :l

My broadband has been problematic over the past three days, so I haven't been on much lately... hopefully the problems are resolved now. :shock:

TEUFEL HUNDEN
03-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Maxwell, that is strange. Neither one have anything to do with each other and it should not take that to happen. Maybe you could clean all your offline content and your cookies. Check your browser for updates? Your guess is as good as mine.

Tom, you have more than proven your point about this very unpredictable market. I have stayed clear of the C & S for over 4 weeks now. Mostly 100% I. Thanks for your theories.

cqsr63
03-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Hello folks.

First....Thanks Tom for all the financial advice we receive from this site. Also, God Bless our brave military folks who make all this possible.....I salute you all.

Now.....to attempt an answer to a question posted about changing contribution amounts.... I can answer about fed employees..... You manage your tsp account at www.tsp.gov (http://www.tsp.gov) But you start...stop.....change amouts at www.employeeexpress.gov (http://www.employeeexpress.gov) Amount changes can only happen during "open season" ( Which is soon to be a thing of the past) Go to the TSP web site for detailed a explaination. www.tsp.gov (http://www.tsp.gov)

Hope this helped.....have a wonderful day!:^

Chris

cqsr63
03-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Now, I have a question. Gas prices are expected to rise sharply from what I heard on the news.....How will this affect the funds...particularly the I fund?.... ( risng oil prices)

Thanks

tsptalk
03-08-2005, 11:33 PM
cqsr63 wrote:
Hello folks.
Welcome cqsr63! Thanks for joining us!

Tom

Rolo
03-09-2005, 07:30 AM
cqsr63 wrote:
Now, I have a question. Gas prices are expected to rise sharply from what I heard on the news.....How will this affect the funds...particularly the I fund?.... ( risng oil prices)

Welcome, cqsr!

I dunno how it will affect the I fund, but I would think it could drive it down a little, likewise with the C and S funds. I would think larger, more fuel-reliant companies would be affected the most.

If the market reacts, I am sure it will stabilise before too long.

neirbod
03-09-2005, 08:00 AM
I suspect the higher gas prices will have a greater impact on the US economy than Europe. If soEuropean stocks, may fare better than US stocks. There are two reasons. First is that the increase in oil has occured at the same time the euro has gained on the dollar. Since oil is priced in dollars, the cost of oil to Europeans has gone up less than it has for the US. Second, most of Europe already pays around $4 / gallon last time I checked (due to very high taxes). So the equivilent of a 25 cent increase is proportionally less of an increase than it is for us.

That being said, the European economy is so tied to ours that any drag on our economy will affect theirs, and high oil and gas prices don't help anyone.

Maxwell
03-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Teufel,

Thanks for the tip. If I find out anything new about this, I will let you know. Kind of curious why that was happening. As of late, I have been invested 100% in the G fund so I haven't had a chance to test things out and see if it was still happening. Thanks.

Maxwell

Maxwell
03-09-2005, 11:11 AM
cqsr63(Chris),

Hello. Thanks for answering my question. That is true, I forgot about that. Increasing the amount we contribute to TSP would be done through Employee Express and for now only during open season, till they make that change to be able to do it anytime. Thanks.

Maxwell

cqsr63
03-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks !....... I don't know if oil prices had anything to do with it....but the stock fund prices are going down rapidly....can hardly wait to jump back in just before they rise again.....

Thanks guys

Safetyguy
03-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Tom,

Your comments for 3/14/05 are absolutely excellent and clearly explain why you are staying in G. Your points are wellmade and should be considered carefully by those who are considering moving a large percentage of their retirement into equities! Just my 2 cents worth...

tsptalk
03-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks.

If anyone is interested... http://www.tsptalk.com/comments_archive/comments_3_14_05.html (http://www.tsptalk.com/comments_archive/comments_3_14_05.html)