PDA

View Full Version : SS PRIVATIZATION

TheMailman
02-06-2005, 02:03 PM
currently have 3 % of my pay going to TSP + 1% automatic, thats 4%, if social security goes private , would I be better of increasing my tsp to 8 % ? And will I have to volunteer to get in the social program when It comes out, I feel safer in my tsp beucase I will have the option to alocate my funds as I please but iguessing that I will lose more in theprivatization of SS and will feel like im have 2 TSP accounts one i mangage and 1 i dont

02-06-2005, 02:19 PM
TheMailman wrote:
currently have 3 % of my pay going to TSP + 1% automatic, thats 4%, if social security goes private , would I be better of increasing my tsp to 8 % ? And will I have to volunteer to get in the social program when It comes out, I feel safer in my tsp beucase I will have the option to alocate my funds as I please but iguessing that I will lose more in theprivatization of SS and will feel like im have 2 TSP accounts one i mangage and 1 i dont
They're still debating the Social Security issue. Who, when, where, how much, etcstill have tobe worked out.

IMHO,since TSP is a good idea, and has tax benefits, it's always best to max it, if you are able to.

Show-me
02-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Mailman,

At 3% you are missing out on some automatic agency contributions. You should be at 5% to take full advantage of the matching funds.

02-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Mailman,

Are postal workers in FERS just like regular federal workers or do ya'll have an additional retirement plan for just postal workers?

Thanks

Show-me
02-06-2005, 11:14 PM
If I may. All new Postal Employee's are under FERS.

TheMailman
02-07-2005, 07:30 PM
YEs we are in Fers, I will go to 6% this open season in Aprill to increase my contributions, any idea on my pay allocatio which is 100% in S fund every 2 weeks? Should I consider moving it to g fund? Ideas anyone....?

Show-me
02-08-2005, 07:49 AM
I put everything in the G fund and then pick and low point in the market to get in. Its not for everyone you have to watch the market every day.