PDA

View Full Version : Interfund Transfer 2/1 for 2/2/05

tsptalk
02-01-2005, 10:16 AM
The move upthis morning has me not wanting to sit on the sidelines if this breakout is real. Going 40% C, 30% S, and 30%I fund this morning - effective Wednesday.

Another mistake? Maybe. Please use your best judgement, not mine. I've been off lately.

02-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Tom,

Did you consider the jump in weekly unemployment claims with regards to January job report that comes out on Friday?

As I stated in a e-mail to you concerning the 45,000 folks that have lost their jobs due the textile quotathat waslifted January 1 with China.

Normally after the FOMC reports a increase at 2:15 a sell off starts shortly there after. The norm will return.

I would think a savory guy like you would sell into this rally and not get into the buy on dip get crushed in March situation that will happen :D.

Good luck out there.

MT

02-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Follow the trend...the emergency fed rate is going away and their will be artificially means to mark up the market like in 2003 with the div tax cut (that greatly helped the higher income folks keep their wealth and hurt our budget debt)....looky what happens in March....right off the table...what will change that this year....more fed rate hikes, inflation....nothing in my scope....

capitial preservation is an investment style....probably have not heard that before...

By the way I love you too.

http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/5y/_/_dji.gif

mrktmkr
02-01-2005, 11:16 AM
moved into 100% S from 100% G this morning. the SOX is leading the rally here as an oversold index price pattern and it can be best captured in the TSP by using the S fund. the primary indicator that pushed me off the wall was that the moving averages i used crossed to the upside in both the C and S funds. tsptalker's 1180 SPX threshold for breaking and holding was a good call. in these kind of oversold rally type markets it's best to have nimbleness on your side. maybe the tsptalker can put a word in to the TSP gods to allow us more active TSPers more nimble exit and entry priveleges.

tsptalk
02-01-2005, 06:45 PM
MarketTimer wrote:
I would think a savory guy like you would sell into this rally and not get into the buy on dip get crushed in March situation that will happen :D.
Savory? I'm not sure how to take that one. I would think you would have noticed that I move my money around often. I am not positioning my account account forMarch right now. I am worried about this week and nextat the moment.

tsptalk
02-01-2005, 06:49 PM
mrktmkr wrote:
maybe the tsptalker can put a word in to the TSP gods to allow us more active TSPers more nimble exit and entry priveleges.

:D I wish I had that pull. I think they'd just as soon see me get fired for running thissite. They indirectly got me suspended already.

Spaf
02-02-2005, 12:18 AM
tsptalk wrote:
:D I wish I had that pull. I think they'd just as soon see me get fired for running thissite. They indirectly got me suspended already.
Hey.... At least you are helping us! :^

Rgds! :) Spaf

ngophan
02-02-2005, 03:05 AM
:^
Just a comment on TSP fund allocations, interfund transfers and a big THANK YOU! for creating this forum. I am usually silent and watch the other members, but I have increased the value of my TSP account so much more by observing you. Thanks again for doing what you do. I'm sticking with you! 40C-30S-30I !!!

Citizen
02-02-2005, 07:36 AM
I think they'd just as soon see me get fired for running thissite.
I have a question about that. As I've said before, I have my money allocated unevenly between a few different accounts. One of the funds restricts the number of transfers to 20 in a year or 11 in a quarter. The other fund threatens to stop "disruptive" trading, which I assume they mean frequent allocation changes, but I do it anyway.

Is the type of activity we do considered disruptive?

tsptalk
02-02-2005, 08:38 AM
ngophan wrote:
a big THANK YOU! for creating this forum.
Thanks and welcome ngophan!!

tsptalk
02-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Citizen wrote:
I have a question about that. As I've said before, I have my money allocated unevenly between a few different accounts. One of the funds restricts the number of transfers to 20 in a year or 11 in a quarter. The other fund threatens to stop "disruptive" trading, which I assume they mean frequent allocation changes, but I do it anyway.

Is the type of activity we do considered disruptive?

Where did you hear / read about those restrictions Citizen?

Citizen
02-02-2005, 09:10 PM
I have two 403b accounts. One was administered through Best of America, now merged with and managed by Nationwide. That account specifically has restrictions on interfund transfers, and when I make transfers online, it tells me I have so many of 20 transfers allowed for the year. After the 20 interfund transfers, transfers can only be made by mail. I don't like the policies, but I took a loan on the funds to cover high interest revolving credit. Now I realize that wasn't the best way to go, but it isn't the worst. When the debt is paid, I'll roll this account into my TSP.

The other 403b account I have is with Citistreet. They don't specifically mention a number of transfers that can be made within a year, but some of the funds available have short term trade fees involved. I don't invest in those funds, but the prospectus for all of the funds contains fine print that states that Citistreet reserves the right to restrict "disruptive trading." I don't however find any definition of what is considered disruptive. I would guess they don't like market timing activity because it would increase their costs to administer the frequent transactions.

I hope you don't think I meant that TSP has any such restrictions.

BTW: Thanks for the site. I really enjoy reading the different opinions expressed, and I'm learning a lot of things I wish I'd learned before.

tsptalk
02-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Citizen wrote:
I hope you don't think I meant that TSP has any such restrictions.
Yeah, I thought maybe they changed something recently. Shew!

Thanks,
Tom

Dudg
02-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Citizen, I have a question about a statement you made: "When the debt is paid, I'll roll this account into my TSP." I thought the only contributions allowed were from payroll deduction. How will you accomplish the rollover? I would like to do that as well.