PDA

View Full Version : Forum Viewers Map

tsptalk
02-17-2012, 11:23 AM
These are people (or their server) viewing the message board...

User Map: TSP Talk Forums (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/usermap.php)

Is that a Russian spy? :)

Mapper
02-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Since you're using Google Maps I hope the locations are, to some extent, scrambled. Interestingly, I am not showing up.

Also, what's a "spider"?

tsptalk
02-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Although I am not positive, I don't think it is instant, meaning it updates every X minutes so you may not show up right away.

I don't know what you mean by scrambled. I do know that the location is actually where your servers are located. My location shown on the map is about 12 miles from where I actually am.

A spider is something the search engines put out to "crawl" sites for the latest info.

nnuut
02-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Mine is 5 miles away from my house.:D

nasa1974
02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Mine shows a little over 13 miles. But if I zoom in, the red marker is in the driveway of a private home. :confused:

tsptalk
02-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Mine shows a little over 13 miles. But if I zoom in, the red marker is in the driveway of a private home. :confused:
How much is your ISP charging you? It's probably a 17 y/o kid living with his parents. :D

tsptalk
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Mine is actually showing me in the middle of a big farm field. I guess I better take my lawn chair and laptop somewhere else or my wife will find me. :D

nnuut, is that you in your pool? :laugh:

nasa1974
02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
How much is your ISP charging you? It's probably a 17 y/o kid living with his parents. :D

That would be the government way. :nuts: I would think that my icon would be a little closer to where I work since we have 3 buildings full of servers and computers that talk back and forth with other Centers.

tsptalk
02-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I don't know how it works but it seems to be in the general area - but never right on, which is probably a good thing.

RealMoneyIssues
02-17-2012, 01:58 PM
These are people (or their server) viewing the message board...

User Map: TSP Talk Forums (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/usermap.php)

Is that a Russian spy? :)

No, it's the only way I can bypass the security and get to this site... I guess they think this is one of those subversive sites... ;)

nnuut
02-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Mine is actually showing me in the middle of a big farm field. I guess I better take my lawn chair and laptop somewhere else or my wife will find me. :D

nnuut, is that you in your pool? :laugh:
Yeah that's me sitting on the pool cover, but the server is located smack dab in the center of an Air Force Base, how can that be? You and I are the red ones I take it.

Sensei
02-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Looks cool. I see a green dot over Tokyo - wonder if that's supposed to be me? I'm actually about a thousand miles south in the ocean between Japan and Taiwan, but maybe it only recognizes me generically as being in Japan. And what's with the unregistered guests viewing us from China?:suspicious::cheesy:

tsptalk
02-17-2012, 03:59 PM
So what do you think? Should I keep it and post a permanent link somewhere on the forum menu, or just uninstall it?

PessOptimist
02-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Wasn't there something similar to this in the past? I believe the previous application let you click on yourself??

Does it look for the IP address your ISP assigns?

The green marker I think could be me shows up at a house about 2.5 miles away. As stated before, we do love our Cox here but are never sure what our Cox is up to.:D

I say keep it unless it starts posting like newsfeed.

tsptalk
02-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Wasn't there something similar to this in the past? I believe the previous application let you click on yourself??

Does it look for the IP address your ISP assigns?

Yeah, but that old one was for all hits on tsptalk.com, and the link took you to another website to view it. It also became a little flaky.

This one is a forum "mod" only looking at those who are on the message board.

They were both written by the same person, but this one seems to work better.

I thought it was by IP, but based on the locations, it may be ISP's - not sure exactly.

RealMoneyIssues
02-17-2012, 04:40 PM
I thought it was by IP, but based on the locations, it may be ISP's - not sure exactly.

It's probably based on where the first ISP router hits the internet. Mine shows where the cable company main office is located...

Hey, who is that in Woodbridge, VA???

Mapper
02-17-2012, 05:13 PM
As a "mapper" I think it's pretty cool but not necessarily useful. I can't realistically see myself checking it more than 1 or 2 times a year. I say keep it as a curiosity, so long as it doesn't hurt anything.

So what do you think? Should I keep it and post a permanent link somewhere on the forum menu, or just uninstall it?

Handballer
02-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Mine shows downtown about four miles away. Please keep it. I want to see more hits in my area. Its better than the previous version.

tsptalk
02-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I've added a link on the main forum page where it shows:

"There are currently XXX users online. XXX members and XXX guests (User Map (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/usermap.php))"

James48843
02-19-2012, 11:12 AM
I CAN SEE YOU!! I CAN SEE YOU!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td1KAgrYUGA

PessOptimist
02-19-2012, 12:49 PM
FWIW, the app does appear to use your ISPs gateway as your location.

I discovered this while checking my DNS server ip address to make sure I hadn't been DNSChanger trojaned.

The map pointer was about a block off.

James48843
02-19-2012, 03:03 PM
The map pointer was about a block off.

In my case, it's about 40 miles off.

berline
02-19-2012, 04:30 PM
In my case...I'm the only member living in Paris, France... Ah well, the joke's on me.

MrJohnRoss
02-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Pretty cool technology Tom! Thanks for installing!