PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota family busted by Predator drone

James48843
12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Yes, Virginia, it's 1984, in 2011.

The same aerial vehicles used by the CIA to track down and assassinate terrorists and militants in Pakistan and Afghanistan are now being deployed by U.S. police to spy on Americans in their own backyards.

Meet the Brossarts, a North Dakota family deemed so dangerous that the local sheriff needed unleashed an unmanned Predator drone to help bring them in.

The Brossart's alleged crime? They wouldn't give back three cows and their calves that wandered onto their 3,000-acre farm this summer.

The same aerial vehicles used by the CIA to track down and assassinate terrorists and militants in Pakistan and Afghanistan are now being deployed by cops to spy on Americans in their own backyards.

What do you think?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2073248/Local-cops-used-Predator-drone-arrest-North-Dakota-farm-family-stealing-6-cows.html#ixzz1gTCdwGrH

Buster
12-13-2011, 08:09 PM
I think they should have given back the cows...Isn't stealing still a crime?

James48843
12-13-2011, 08:28 PM
I think they should have given back the cows...Isn't stealing still a crime?

With a Predator Drone?

With no warrant?

A search with no Court Order?

Welcome to 1984.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXm5hklbBsA&feature=related84

Buster
12-13-2011, 10:30 PM
STEALING is still a CRIME..get use to it!

Frixxxx
12-14-2011, 07:00 AM
If law enforcement deemed that the livestock (evidence) was in imminent danger of being destroyed, then a warrant is not needed.

jkenjohnson
12-14-2011, 07:06 AM
I think that is going to lead to some expensive milk.

FAB1
12-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Me oh My.

Some folks are used to stealing as a way of life. Cities have bands of "yuts" that mob stores and take what they damn well please
and the authorities do little to nothing. But spreading the Wealth isnt isolated to the cities - Here we have rural farmers helping themselves to livestock that doesn't belong to them...but why not? Didnt the Dept of AG hands over Billions to po' "black farmers" in a Gov-sponsored Reparations Thang with the blessings of the EEO?
Soul Town Baybay!

I Know! Let's sell some guns to Mexican drug cartels to gin up more excuses for GunControl all with with the stamp of approval of DOJ!

The stench of corruption is everywhere these days. I just betcha these folks are affiliated with the "Gimme Party"...You know the one... ; )

FAB1
12-14-2011, 12:13 PM
And toliet paper rolls turn all wobbly...thanks to the cardboard tube being just a little thicker than the TP!

Progress! As we fly into the future the Quality of Life continually decreases - and you aint seen nuttin yet!

Elgallo
12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
If by chanch those cows were not branded (a possibility), which is somthing we may not be aware of at the moment, do they belong to anyone except maybe the one they are currently in the possession of, e.g. Possession is 9/10ths of the law so it goes.

Viva_La_Migra
12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Yes, Virginia, it's 1984, in 2011.

The same aerial vehicles used by the CIA to track down and assassinate terrorists and militants in Pakistan and Afghanistan are now being deployed by U.S. police to spy on Americans in their own backyards.

What do you think?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2073248/Local-cops-used-Predator-drone-arrest-North-Dakota-farm-family-stealing-6-cows.html#ixzz1gTCdwGrH

From the story:

"All of the surveillance occurred without a search warrant because the Supreme Court has long ruled that anything visible from the air, even if it's on private property, can be subject to police spying."

SCOTUS has already ruled (http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0476_0207_ZS.html) on a similar issue. That said, I think there is a problem here, because the police used technology that is not available to the general public to look into the suspect's yard.

SteelSaving
12-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Anyone else think it's weird we are turning our military into a police force and our police forces into a military?
Why are people ok with the guns starting to turn inward? Our government tells dictatorships to treat its people better then it treats its own.
And that's ok?

Yes, they stole. A warrant isn't a hard thing to obtain. Beyond that, how were the cows identified? How did the cops decide they were stolen? Hearsay?

We were told that these drones would be used to patrol the (presumably) Mexican-American border for illegals. Within weeks, it's already being used against Americans. And for what? Livestock? How much did it cost to run that thing for this operation?

As the police officers become soldiers, our money will run dry, but it won't matter as we'll be kept entertained of the next sting against our "enemies" at home and abroa... well just at home. Won't be able to afford the abroad part.

nnuut
12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
What if they would have used a Helicopter, would that be just as bad? I can imagine that locating livestock on thousands of acres can be a very difficult job.

SteelSaving
12-14-2011, 09:18 PM
How have cattle thieves been taken care of before?

Buster
12-14-2011, 09:24 PM
It’s no different than all the surveillance cameras all over and everywhere you go, Banks, ATMs, Parking lots, you name it, even at street intersections to catch would-be red-light runners…Do the crime, expect to get caught, and by whatever means..PERIOD!...If I was on a jury of their peers..I would hope for the death sentence (By Hanging)…Kudos to the North Dakota LE..
Stay honest and law abiding...you won’t have a problem.

Book em Dano!

SteelSaving
12-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Hanging for cows walking on your property? Remind me to sue you when my dog defecates on your lawn.

James48843
12-14-2011, 11:47 PM
It’s no different than all the surveillance cameras all over and everywhere you go, Banks, ATMs, Parking lots, you name it, even at street intersections to catch would-be red-light runners…Do the crime, expect to get caught, and by whatever means..PERIOD!...If I was on a jury of their peers..I would hope for the death sentence (By Hanging)…Kudos to the North Dakota LE..
Stay honest and law abiding...you won’t have a problem.

Book em Dano!

Hmmmm....So Buster- does that mean you are happy to work for an employer who would track your every move every day?

Would you be as happy if they had you tagged with a chip, and tracked your every movement every day?

Unions slam VA plan to track employees electronically

By Bob Brewin bbrewin@govexec.com (bbrewin@govexec.com)
December 14, 2011

Unions representing Veterans Affairs Department employees blasted VA plans to include hospital staff tracking functions in draft procurement documents (https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=2d5c80fdb95150036dd156f54f320266&tab=core&_cview=0) issued earlier this week for its $550 million Real-Time Location System. VA earlier this month said it had no plans to use the system to track staff.

Read the whole story at Nextgov.com (http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20111214_6887.php?oref=topnews)

Buster
12-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Hanging for cows walking on your property? Remind me to sue you when my dog defecates on your lawn.
Do you EVER make sense or do you always talk out your Butt?..Oh that's right, your head is still up there , no wonder thats where the ingnorant sound is coming from.

SteelSaving
12-15-2011, 08:57 PM
You really do a great job of not staying on-topic and moving to attacks. Perhaps you should look for a job on the MSM.

What part of those two sentences are you lost on?
Me responding to your statement that being on a jury against them would lead to their hanging? Or me commenting that I would sue you for stealing my dog if I could find twelve... um... "intelligent"... folks such as yourself.

PessOptimist
12-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Steel, you didn't say stealing your dog, you said if your dog skat on his lawn.

All of you remember those free physicals where they drew blood? They injected the dreaded chip while the needle was in your arm. They know everything.

Fear not, you are safe as long as "they" find you useful. Once they find you no longer useful or troublesome, they will eliminate you.

Don't stop this conversation, I need entertainment.16606

Show-me
12-16-2011, 06:47 AM
I thought the FAA rule was that remotely controled aircraft could only be flown over military bases or very specific air space. Got my info from a old comrade the assemblys and tests a drone on the left coast.

SteelSaving
12-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Steel, you didn't say stealing your dog, you said if your dog skat on his lawn.

All of you remember those free physicals where they drew blood? They injected the dreaded chip while the needle was in your arm. They know everything.

Fear not, you are safe as long as "they" find you useful. Once they find you no longer useful or troublesome, they will eliminate you.

Don't stop this conversation, I need entertainment.16606

The dog poo in his yard is the proof that he stole it. I mean at least I have more evidence then hearsay.
Maybe with the NDAA '12, Buster can do a stint in gitmo before the hanging. He terrorized my dog.

Buster
12-16-2011, 08:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=JFYaXucXOCQ&feature=endscreen

Frixxxx
12-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Back on topic,

I see that law enforcement asked for the property back and the drone was used to provide surveillance for the cops. Isn't that the same as using a helicopter? And it said in the article, the drone was used AFTER the couple was arrested to get their son's who had armed and barricaded themselves in a house.

Buster
12-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Back on topic,

I see that law enforcement asked for the property back and the drone was used to provide surveillance for the cops. Isn't that the same as using a helicopter? And it said in the article, the drone was used AFTER the couple was arrested to get their son's who had armed and barricaded themselves in a house.

Good thing the cops didn't have to step in some ignorant limp wrist neighbor's dog crap..then they would've had to use depleted uranium tipped bullets to get him out.:rolleyes::D

SteelSaving
12-19-2011, 10:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=JFYaXucXOCQ&feature=endscreen

So you are going to stand behind the government never making a mistake?
Why don't you ever actually state your position?