Page 426 of 493 FirstFirst ... 326376416424425426427428436476 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,112 of 5907

Thread: tsptalk's Market Talk

Default Re: tsptalk's Market Talk

The early action sees the 10 year T-note yield down, the dollar is down slightly, and oil is down almost $7 so investors are weighing on the concern over the economy thins morning, rather than playing the inflation side.

Stocks were up early but flipped to the down as the morning choppiness plays out.

The CPI tomorrow is on most traders' minds as they jockey for position.
    Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

New highs for the dollar to start the day. Yields are up, oil is flat, and stocks are not happy.

The CPI came in hotter than expected again. Looking back at the June reaction to the CPI, stocks bottomed about a week after it was released.
    Tom

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

The 2/10 year yield curve is now -0.13. That's now the most it has been inverted since the financial crisis.

Tom

The close is key, but the early intraday action shows a breakdown in the bear flags on the C and S funds, while the I-fund is flirting with new lows.

Tom

Hmm trying to understand what the 2/10 means when it crosses 0.0

It means shorter term bonds (2-year) are paying more than the longer term (10-year), which is an odd situation and generally means there is something wrong with the economy. Historically it has preceded a recessions by several months to up to 2 years.

We had the inversions in 2006, 2007, a year before the financial crisis was apparent. Then again in October 2019 before the 2020 Covid crash / recession.

Here it is again, leading to... something.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by tsptalk View Post
    The 2/10 year yield curve is now -0.13. That's now the most it has been inverted since the financial crisis.

Tom

Thank you for great analysis Tom! Very interesting charts.
    Don't take my comments as trading advice /IFT: 4-1-24=100G/https://www.theepochtimes.com/ & http://www.ewg.org/PermaCharts@p430#5159/strategy#4918p.410

JP Morgan earnings and a stronger than expected PPI report are setting the tone this morning.

JPM has been forming a slanted head and shoulders pattern before today's 4% breakdown.

The dollar is making more new highs. Why the dollar is strong and metals are weak in this inflationary environment has been interesting. Gold has been a hedge against inflation forever.
    Tom

This is options expiration week so the action can't always be trusted. That doesn't tell us much because we don't know if that means we can't trust the selling, or this afternoon's rebound.

Seasonality-wise, the week after expiration week is a little more bearish than pre-expiration, but earnings may influence that this month.
    Tom

The market seemed like it was ready for an excuse to rally and the retail sales report and some solid earnings reported by Citigroup may have done the trick as we see the indices flying this morning.

Lots of headwinds but we had some very dreary data recently yet the indices did not make new lows, so something was building.

This is a bear market however, and rallies may not last long with resistance all over the charts.
    Tom

NYSE volume 6 to 1 advancers over decliners with 45 minutes left.

Nasdaq volume is about 2.5 to 1 Adv over Dec.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tsptalk View Post
    NYSE volume 6 to 1 advancers over decliners with 45 minutes left.

Nasdaq volume is about 2.5 to 1 Adv over Dec.
    Advancers won.
    May the force be with us.

Page 426 of 493 FirstFirst ... 326376416424425426427428436476 ... LastLast