Thread: Govt to cancel $6 billion in student debt

Default Govt to cancel $6 billion in student debt

I'll bet the folks who have paid off their loans are happy about this.

Education Department agrees to cancel $6 billion in debt for some 200,000 student loan borrowers

The U.S. Department of Education has agreed to cancel the student loans of around 200,000 people who had brought a class action lawsuit against it.

The former students claimed they were stuck with federal debts by schools that had been found to engage in misconduct.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/23/educ...wers-debt.html
    Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

Default Re: Govt to cancel $6 billion in student debt

I am. It is a settlement agreement! The government cancelling the debt of those duped by schools using predatory lending practices. The fact that I paid off my loan has no impact on whether these people should have their debt cancelled. The article's Key Points:
    • The U.S. Department of Education has agreed to cancel the student loans of around 200,000 people who had brought a class action lawsuit against it.
    • The former students claimed they were stuck with federal debts by schools that had been found to engage in misconduct.

Quote Originally Posted by flalaw97 View Post
    I am. It is a settlement agreement! The government cancelling the debt of those duped by schools using predatory lending practices. The fact that I paid off my loan has no impact on whether these people should have their debt cancelled. The article's Key Points:
    • The U.S. Department of Education has agreed to cancel the student loans of around 200,000 people who had brought a class action lawsuit against it.
    • The former students claimed they were stuck with federal debts by schools that had been found to engage in misconduct.
    What happened to these students wasn't right, but I think they shouldn't get a 100% free pass. I guess it depends on what or how much of the student loan will be paid off/cancelled.
    May the force be with us.

Blog Entries

I remember back in the day when DeVry and ITT Tech advertised heavily on TV and radio. Turns out they were two of the fraudster colleges.