Thread: Record # of workers quit their jobs in August

Default Record # of workers quit their jobs in August

A record 4.3 million workers quit their jobs in August, led by food and retail industries

KEY POINTS

Employment vacancies fell to 10.4 million during the month, a drop of 659,000 from July’s upwardly revised 11.1 million, according to the Labor Department’s JOLTS report.

The decline was well short of market expectations for 10.96 million job postings.

Quits hit a new series high going back to December 2000, as 4.3 million workers left their jobs.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/12/a-re...ndustries.html
    Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

Default Re: Record # of workers quit their jobs in August

Heard an economist talk about this on the radio today.
    He said its not 4.3 Million jobs lost, just 4.3 million quitting with most finding better jobs elsewhere, which is normal in a tight labor market.
    And also when the economy is strong...as stated from the original article:

"...wrote Chris Rupkey, chief economist at Fwdbonds. “The economy is strong as a bull, that is why there is a tremendous demand for labor.”
    CURRENTLY 30% C, 20% S and 50% G (as of COB 04/11/2024) 1st April IFT

Quote Originally Posted by FireWeatherMet View Post
    “The economy is strong as a bull, that is why there is a tremendous demand for labor.”

Quits hit a new series high going back to December 2000, as 4.3 million workers left their jobs.
    I hear you. Unfortunately a high number of "quits" can be a sign of an economic peak.

Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

Blog Entries

Many of these jobs seeing high "quits" will be automated. It's not a matter of if, but when. The food and dining industry doesn't need servers or waiters. How much time is spent wasted a restaurant just sitting there waiting for someone to bring the check? Just use an app to do tasks such as seating, paying and ordering. Automate as much as possible, get rid of all tips, pay the very few still needed to run a restaurant a better wage.