Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Buying a New Truck

Default Re: Buying a New Truck

Nice!!! I want one.upset.gif

Hey nice looking truck stoplight. I looked at one of those last year prior to purchasing my Tacoma. I loved the functionality of the tailgate, but just couldn't get past the 3500 pound towing capacity. My wife owns a Honda Odyssey and it has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs, so it seemed like I wasn't gaining anything. The Tacoma's towing capacity was 5600 lbs and better fit my needs as we are both avid campers. (prior to Covid)

Anyway, congratulations and enjoy the new truck.
    Last edited by ravensfan; 10-20-2020 at 01:57 PM.
    "the biggest mistake that traders make is to let these short-term trades turn into longer-term investments when they don’t work." RevShark

Stoplight,

Enjoy your new ride.
    May the force be with us.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan View Post
    Hey nice looking truck stoplight. I looked at one of those last year prior to purchasing my Tacoma. I loved the functionality of the tailgate, but just couldn't get past the 3500 pound towing capacity. My wife owns a Honda Odyssey and it has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs, so it seemed like I wasn't gaining anything. The Tacoma's towing capacity was 5600 lbs and better fit my needs as we are both avid campers. (prior to Covid)

Anyway, congratulations and enjoy the new truck.
    Thanks, Ravens Fan !

The tailgate drop-down or side-swing option is really cool !!! It has a short bed, but using the side-opening swing, I can get to stuff in the bed without having to reach over the dropped tailgate...

Ridgeline bed.jpg

...and it has a lockable "trunk" in the bed !!! I was quite surprised at how big it is...expected something smaller... The "kiddie spare" is located in there, too, but on a slide-out "tray", so it doesn't take away much room...

Ridgeline Tailgate and Trunk.jpg

The FWD versions are rated at 3500 lbs towing capacity, but if you step up to the AWD version (which I did), that increases to 5000 lbs. I might sometimes haul a trailer with a couple of kayaks, or maybe a U-haul with some plywood, or a sofa or such, but I'll never need the 5000 lbs...everybody's needs are different !!!

I thought about a Tacoma, 'cause I DO love my old Tundra...but this 2020 Honda unibody-construction truck rides better, and quieter, than the Wife's 2011 Toyota RAV4...it's a "keeper" !!!

BTW...AT&T gave me the DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket service for "free", since I've already sent them so much money... We're enjoying tuning into the Ravens games every weekend, and watching how Lamar is doing !!!

Stoplight...
    "Too old to rock and roll...too young to die"... - I. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by pamkk View Post
    You might want to look at the Ridgeline Owners Club website. I found out about a Manufacturer to Dealer refund that I made the dealer pass on to me. I also went to the on-line salesperson at 3 different dealers and played them against each other. Price went from $29500 down to 23,500!!! S Model 2007. Just when 2008 models were coming out in September 07.
    GREAT tip, Pamkk !!! Thanks for steering me in that direction !!!

That site has a wealth of info on the tips, tricks, pros, and cons of the Ridgeline...from real users (pretty much ! )

One of the criticisms of the 2020 and earlier Ridgelines is that it doesn't look like a "manly" truck...more like a "Soccer Mom SUV, or crossover"...lots of on-line bashing by the pick-up truck "purists" !!! ...doesn't mean a hill of beans to me !!!

A couple of weeks ago, Honda came out with their "plans" for the 2021 model year...made the front end look more "manly", in an attempt to boost sales !!! Naw...happy with my truck's "look" !

Also, glad to see they're making a 2021 version !!! I was afraid my 2020 would be an "orphan" truck model !!!

Stoplight...

You're welcome! I've been hearing that rumor about discontinuing the Ridgeline since I bought mine..... Don't think it will happen any time soon, though. Yeah, I love the ride of the unibody, and when I was working, I was on powerline right-of-ways, dirt and gravel roads a lot. Enjoy! I love mine and it still just purrs.

Stoplight,
    Like the options with the tailgate and trunk. Is it wide enough to get a sheet of plywood to lay flat? Looking at some kind of cover for the bed?
    On my previous truck I had a tarp that snapped down. That worked out ok for about two years. Of course up here on the North Coast if you didn't keep the snaps greased they would freeze in the winter and it was a bitch to unsnap. Then of course the tarp was stiff and it would be a struggle to stretch it out to re-snap. On my current truck I have a hard cover. Now after 7 years I'm thinking of replacing the cover with a trifold. I also did RhinoShield for the bed.
    It looks great. Enjoy.

Hey Nasa I have the trifold cover on my Tacoma. It was a factory installed option. Love it!!!
    "the biggest mistake that traders make is to let these short-term trades turn into longer-term investments when they don’t work." RevShark

Quote Originally Posted by nasa1974 View Post
    Stoplight,
    Like the options with the tailgate and trunk. Is it wide enough to get a sheet of plywood to lay flat? Looking at some kind of cover for the bed?
    On my previous truck I had a tarp that snapped down. That worked out ok for about two years. Of course up here on the North Coast if you didn't keep the snaps greased they would freeze in the winter and it was a bitch to unsnap. Then of course the tarp was stiff and it would be a struggle to stretch it out to re-snap. On my current truck I have a hard cover. Now after 7 years I'm thinking of replacing the cover with a trifold. I also did RhinoShield for the bed.
    It looks great. Enjoy.
    Nasa,

Thanks !

Width ? Yes...
    Length ? Not without dropping the tailgate !!! Bed is 64" closed , 83" open !

On my Tundra, I have an A.R.E. shell, and a Bedrug bed liner...both were SUPER for when I had dogs, but now that I don't (had to put our "Big Dog" GSD down in July ), I think I'm just gonna leave it uncovered. There were things that I couldn't get in the back of the Tundra, like a sofa, without taking the shell off....which was a royal PITA !!!

A tri-fold, like RF also mentions, seems to be a very popular option for the Ridgeline, but with the lockable tailgate and that "lockable trunk" in back, I don't see a need to secure the entire bed....we'll see !!!

Stoplight...

Up here on the North Coast it's nice to have a cover because it keeps the snow out of the bed. I have a crew cab also and the back seat is a 60/40 split so I can haul stuff in the back with the seat up. Unless I have the grandkids car seats in the back which I do most of the time. So again it's nice to have the cover to keep stuff dry in the bed if it won't fit in the back seat.

IMG_8776[1].jpg

Well, I sold the 2004 Tundra to a young man for $6,200...I think it was a win-win deal !

He got a low-mileage truck for a decent price, in this truck-crazy environment, and I got a fair price for a 16 year old truck... Could've gotten more, but he seemed like a good Kid, he took it "as is", and he paid cash !

OTOH, I did something I said I was "too old" to ever do again...adopted a new Dog !!!

We now have a 1 1/2 year old (estimated) pit bull/husky mix pup we named "Max" !!! He's a sweetheart...pits get a bad rap from the media...

Smart Dog, though...

Stoplight...

Max stare.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stoplight View Post
    Well, I sold the 2004 Tundra to a young man for $6,200...I think it was a win-win deal !

He got a low-mileage truck for a decent price, in this truck-crazy environment, and I got a fair price for a 16 year old truck... Could've gotten more, but he seemed like a good Kid, he took it "as is", and he paid cash !

OTOH, I did something I said I was "too old" to ever do again...adopted a new Dog !!!

We now have a 1 1/2 year old (estimated) pit bull/husky mix pup we named "Max" !!! He's a sweetheart...pits get a bad rap from the media...

Smart Dog, though...

Stoplight...

Max stare.jpg
    Congratulations on both the truck and the dog.

Dogs belong next to their human, riding in trucks. Mine lives to ride!

Sent from my iPhone using TSP Talk Forums

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast