Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ^VIX

Blog Entries

Default Re: ^VIX

75 today after intervention.

CB's losing control.

Blog Entries

Surpassed 2008 highs. According to the media it's only going higher because that's what they said about stock markets one month ago.

VIX.JPG

Blog Entries

Closing top was March 16th. The easy money has already been made on the downside.

Today is the first time closing below 60 in two weeks. 10 straight trading days above 60. Previous record was eight straight in 2008.

Near 60 is good. We don't want everyone getting too bullish too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    We don't want everyone getting too bullish too quickly.
    Who's "we?"
    Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

Blog Entries

I'd like to see more bets on this 'retest' that every chart follower is calling for. The more leveraged the downside everyone gets, the better. 2x, 3x bear funds, keep loading 'em up.

I'm of the opinion the easy money has already been made on the downside. Everyone is saying, "are you nuts, it's obviously going lower." Here's the thing - whether these people are sold out to cash or selling short, they have a vested interest in saying the market will go lower. In fact, they are praying for it to lower (re: 2x, 3x bear funds). The unfortunate truth is the ones who say they will buy when it 'gets lower' will sit there waiting for it to go even lower because the 'news' will be so negative.

It's good times, it's easy to say, "buy when there is blood on the street" and "be greedy when others are fearful". Hindsight when looking at charts it's easy extremely easy to say the 1987 crash, March 2009, or even December 2018 were great buying opportunities. At the time, the news was not suggestive of good times ahead.

"Yeah but this virus is a black swan and different." No it's not. Markets still move on greed and fear. See how the VIX does if a retest occurs. I'm guessing it doesn't come close to the previous high.

One of these weekends there will be good news announced and holding bear funds won't be fun on Monday morning. Again, all it's going to take is a spark to unwind the bear funds and get those in cash to chase higher prices.

I do like to buy deep declines, and I actually got caught buying too early back in March, but if someone was waiting for a green light, I think that 2600+ area may be a good place to get interested - for now, assuming the lows hold if they are tested.

Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

Blog Entries

Looking back, was March really a bad time to get in? The system might have been right.

VIX collapsing as people are not as interested as they were in downside protection. Of course, that could be construed as bearish, but taken as a whole, VIX at 27 is still a bit elevated.

vixxx.JPG

Blog Entries

Gap filled from most recent swoon.

Watch out below (25). Listless summer trading is in full effect.

vix.JPG

Blog Entries

60 minute VIX showing a slightly higher low and looking to push past the downtrend. Traders are positioning for some volatility here in the next two weeks.

tempsnip.jpg

Blog Entries

VIX at 33 and once the election is over, volatility should calm down.

All those trades and hedges made in favor of certain outcomes will be immediately unwound after the election result.

Blog Entries

More trades being unwound today as the VIX goes from 28 to 22 in two days.

Vaccine, election, Georgia.. All major known risks seem to have passed. Blue wave, infrastructure bill, higher yields for the next couple years.

Blog Entries

Volatility is back to near November levels. Question now is, how strong of an equity bounce do we get from here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast