Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: The Patio

Default Re: The Patio

I initially understood and agreed with the concept of an HOA over 15 years ago. I abided but when I sold my previous home about 5 years ago, they slammed me with design violations simply because they lost approved paperwork that I submitted to have a storm door added and 10x10 patio added in the rear of the home. The violation letter was sent to me 2 days before closing which required me to unpack a trailer of our crap to locate the approval documents to send back to the HOA to correct their records so I could close on the house. After that experience, I made sure that my future home purchases would never be in an area that requires an HOA.

I couldn't live in an HOA development. I proudly fly the American flag on a 25 foot flagpole every day. NO ONE BUT NO ONE will tell me I can't fly that flag everyday.
    May the force be with us.

Stinking desert valley of bad air quality, AZ

Well gee, last post was about HOAs. Another great idea gone bad in some places due to???

This evening while playing poker a couple things came up in chat that I feel I should bore you with. Delete now if you wish.

Why do I know some Latin words?

Travels in Wyoming.

I know some Latin words due to the fact I took Latin classes in high school. And I pay attention to media and married a legal secretary. And everyone should know some words as they are part of our everyday lives.

Why did I take Latin classes in high school? I went to a private high school. Before you make your opinion, you have to know the high school existed as a private school when the state and local governments decreed compulsory education. Being frugal (aka cheap) local towns decided it was more fiscally responsible to pay tuition to this academy than to build high schools. In the time since I graduated it has been absorbed by school districts. Thus, I am ever stuck with the stigma of having attended a private school.

The curriculum paths offered in 1967 were General, Home Economics, Industrial Arts and College Preparatory. No extra courses allowed! Social pressures too but the only math course worth anything beyond elementary school was Algebra I which was only offered to college prep. So there I was taking Algebra I, English, Latin I, French I and Civics. During my Senior year things were freed up a little, I was allowed to take Mechanical Drawing as an elective. Socially that was great as I got to know a bunch of the Industrial Arts students and they me. We knew each other socially maybe but…

Wyoming. Years ago, my wife gave me permission to take my dog and go east. Went to PA where my son and DIL lived and met my brother there. On the trip out some ******* stole my AZ license plate at a motel in IN. The dog tried to tell me but I ignored her. I drove from IN to PA with a side trip to a former place in OH with no plate. No one seemed to care. In PA I was advised by local police to print the license plate number on a sheet of paper and tape it inside the back window. I also got a notice from the PA State police that my plate had been found in Utah so I must have lost it. Never went through Utah on the trip so far. Brother and I drove back west. After visiting IA to see wife’s grandparents former house and graves, brother really wanted to drive. So, OK he drove back roads from IA to WY where we got on some US highway. Brother liked the old pickup and it’s love of cruising about 80. WY trooper pulled him over for undetermined reason, presumably excessive speed. As he was pulling over, I got registration documents and insurance proof out of the glove compartment. WY trooper after asking usual questions seemed somewhat amused by they whole story and didn’t seem to care about the missing license plate. He did warn my brother about excessive speed and advise about routes to UT. No ticket. On to SLC.

FWIW reported plate stolen and got a new one.

PO

Just something to talk about. I took Latin as a freshman in high school. Thought it would be easy since I was an alterboy and had the Mass memorized in Latin. PPfffff!! It didn't help much and I barely passed that dead language. I can still pronounce most of the words in song, but couldn't tell you what most of the words mean. Anyway I digress back 50+ years.

Stay safe and healthy
    May the force be with us.

Hi... wow PO, no wonder you didn't answer my question last night about why you took Latin! Lol... just was curious why you took that as opposed to any other language. But you have greatly redeemed yourself by stating you took French! So did I!... I love certain things French.... like French wine, French fries, French kissing... etc...oh yeah... I guess the fries really don't count, but I still love them. ..lol… ...now I am wondering bout the Kissing...

PS. I actually respect your taking Latin...congrats to you and NASA.
    Don't take my comments as trading advice /IFT: 2-13-24=100G/https://www.theepochtimes.com/ & http://www.ewg.org/PermaCharts@p430#5159/strategy#4918p.410

Quote Originally Posted by nasa1974 View Post
    Just something to talk about. I took Latin as a freshman in high school. Thought it would be easy since I was an alterboy and had the Mass memorized in Latin. PPfffff!! It didn't help much and I barely passed that dead language. I can still pronounce most of the words in song, but couldn't tell you what most of the words mean. Anyway I digress back 50+ years.

Stay safe and healthy
    My dad had the best Latin quote. Latin is a dead language as dead as it can be. It once killed a Roman and now it's killing me! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Scout333 View Post
    My dad had the best Latin quote. Latin is a dead language as dead as it can be. It once killed a Roman and now it's killing me! LOL
    LOL! A fellow student recited that or something very close in class. He got sent to the office which was a really big deal in those days usually involving parental interactions. "Magister" as we were required to call him, was not amused. We were called "discipuli" Every day "Salve Magister, salve discipuli". Then on to declining nouns like farmer and friend. We always enjoyed the accusative plural of friend which we pronounced "I'm a kitty ass". Amicitia=friend in Latin. Now my head truly hurts with these ancient memories that I should have purged years ago.

PO

Thought about posting this in 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) thread. Then thought why bother to add to the rumors and unsubstantiated theories. Like Gin and Tonic being a cure maybe if taken with the right other drug in the right quantity.

On other social media a statement was made that young children are immune to this but are carriers. No one ever stated how young. The unsaid implication was these critters should be rounded up and isolated.

Turns out on 3/3/20 an on line doctor said it was a mystery why young children (again no ages mentioned) were not showing symptoms and he hypothesized that they could still infect people. A different on line doctor stated it was a mystery but young children could infect people, therefore were carriers.

Thought I would share this in an appropriate setting, like a patio where alcohol is being consumed. So, stay away from those grand children and consider putting them somewhere so you will be safe.

As of 5pm today AZ is under a mandatory stay at home order which seems exactly like the suggested stay at home order except now it can be enforced if necessary.

Just use some common sense and don’t take unnecessary risks. Like going out to look for a fresh herb because the dried one in that little bottle just won’t do.

😊PO

...so I'm sitting on the Patio, drinking Yuengling beer and pondering life in general...an interesting juxtaposition in our life today :

We're retired ; in our mid to late 60's...concerned about a friend of the Wife, who is in her mid-to-late 70's, no local Family, and lives by herself. We reached out to her the other day, and asked how she was doing, and if there was anything she needed, or if we could do anything for her. Her response ?

"No thanks...doing just fine, have all I need. Thanks for asking, and thinking of me ! Love you both..."

So that made us feel good....

Fast forward to today : I go out to get the mail, and our neighbor Wife, mother of a young family, across the street, (who we barely know !) was out with her Kids, in the driveway, blowing off steam !!! We exchanged chit-chat, and then she asked me : "Are you guys doing okay ? Do you need anything ? Can we do anything for you ?"

OMG ! We reach out to a Friend, and another neighbor reaches out to US !!!

I was conflicted...my first thought was "Hell no, we don't need your help ! We're not "old"...we're reaching out to help "old people" !!!"...but then it struck me : Here is a person who is doing EXACTLY what WE did !!! She was reaching out, and offering help, to US !!!

Made me really pause, and restored my faith, in the basic "goodness" of people...I appreciate her reaching out to us, just like we did !!!

Who says "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" ???

Stoplight...
    "Too old to rock and roll...too young to die"... - I. Anderson

I can kinda, sorta remember when anybody over 40 looked old. Old age is just a number.

Sitting on the patio. About 106° now. A balmy AZ day. Big doings here today. Bug sprayer came by for semi annual eradication. Neighborhood Association contractor came by to mask the wall in prep for painting their fence. They painted my neighbor’s and disappeared. It is about quitting time.

Went to pick up wife’s scrips a while ago and while out thought it was a good reason to pick up other necessary things. Thinking my strategy through for going to a store. Wear mask, wear gloves. Put credit card you will use in pocket. Of course, credit card is contaminated unless you take off a glove. Pocket is contaminated when you put credit card back. Go to car, set merchandise down, remove one glove in approved method and use key to enter vehicle. Open doors with gloved hand. More on that later. Place merchandise in car with gloved hand. Enter car, remove remaining glove using approved method, drop gloves on floor. First glove was in palm or fingers of second. Use key to start car. Think about credit card. Take wipe you put out as part of plan only to find it dry as a bone. Take wipe out of package to clean credit card. Wonder if wipe package was contaminated. Wipe package and hands. Think about shirt pocket now being a hot spot. Think about “Troubles” song by Ray LaMontagne. Pick up mail. Only touch with one hand and go home. Leave mail on floor of car to “decontaminate” for a while. Try to figure out what may be cross contaminated before you open the door to the house. Go inside, wash hands thoroughly, spray down door knobs thoroughly, spray down mail on floor, spray down beer container and have faith cans are likely not contaminated.

I tried eliminating the step about having to touch the car key by leaving it unlocked a few days ago. I found a very confused lady sitting in my car with a key in her hand looking around probably thinking “WTF”. I was nice I thought and asked if I could help her and if she would like to buy the car. I think she was getting ready to mace or taze me. Her car was the next one over. Many small white sedans look the same these days. She got in to her car and sped off, likely thinking I was to blame somehow.

The door handle thing is because of something I have known for a while and observed today from the convenience store. The denizens of the parking lot will always check to see if you locked your doors. Some times before you get far away but usually after you are inside the establishment. So, assume all door handles have been touched by someone else.

I was lucky that on the day I left it unlocked it was a confused citizen and not a person of ill intent. I am probably lucky she didn’t attack me for asking why she was in my car.

Neighbors and vendors are asking if we are OK. We are asking if they are OK. Seems like we may all care about each other even if we are not close.

PO

But wait PO.... your in big trouble! You forgot to wipe the bottom of your shoes with Clorox wipes before you stepped into car, and wiping down inside of car after that Lady got out..... plus did you remember to strip down as soon as you walked in, preferably in laundry room, to discard your clothes so they could be washed in hot water before you got too far into the house??? Gosh I hope your washing machine is near the back door or garage... I am very worried about you! Are you OK???? Please remember to wash you hands and wipe down the keyboard before you log in to play poker with me on Sunday... don't forget!!!!!
    Don't take my comments as trading advice /IFT: 2-13-24=100G/https://www.theepochtimes.com/ & http://www.ewg.org/PermaCharts@p430#5159/strategy#4918p.410

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast