Page 96 of 106 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,152 of 1267

Thread: Sensei's account talk

Default Re: Sensei's account talk

Over the past year or so, I've lost confidence in my ability to read the market. I never used a system, but usually felt I could get a general read on which direction things were likely to head based on dumb money sentiment. For whatever reasons (lack of time, interest, reliable indicators - fill in the excuse), I just haven't had the success I once had. My underperformance in the TSP is relatively minor, but in my own stock portfolio, I've made some bad investments that are upside down. Not by a lot, but I would have been better off just DCA'ing into an ETF like SPY over the last 3-4 years.

Anyway, for the time being, I'm going to revert to good ol' fashioned B&H. I've been a FED for almost 7 years now, and it's pathetic how little I've put into the TSP. I steadily increase my contributions, but am still a long way from maxing out - just can't afford it. Plus, taking out a loan last year was somewhat of a setback, even though I'm aggressively paying it off now. Since my side investments suck, I should probably just stop adding to my stock portfolio, and throw that money at the TSP.

Unlike many others, my plan is not to retire early. I'd like to keep working until at least 66, and even past that if I am still healthy and physically up to the challenge. At the same time, I've realized over the last year that health is unpredictable, and even though I feel now like I could go on forever, 10 years from now, the story might be different. It's a tough dilemma.

Well, social media is not the place for therapy, right? Just letting you know where my head is. Good luck to all of you with your trades. For the moment, sticky pants for me!

Konichiwah sensei hope all is well. The b&h has worked for me, I only have one regret.... I no longer can add to my tsp since retirement. I would still be dca ing if I could to get the bargain basement prices. My sick dog(I fund) is starting to hold its own, and believe me it's been a long time since it has made any upward move. Happy New Year to u and family and I hope your wife is doing better. Take care and remember with 7 years in you still have plenty of time to make it happen. And ohhhh I had a tsp loan and it worked like magic when I was paying back and buying more shares at cheap prices (silver lining).

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Over the past year or so, I've lost confidence in my ability to read the market. I never used a system, but usually felt I could get a general read on which direction things were likely to head based on dumb money sentiment. For whatever reasons (lack of time, interest, reliable indicators - fill in the excuse), I just haven't had the success I once had. My underperformance in the TSP is relatively minor, but in my own stock portfolio, I've made some bad investments that are upside down. Not by a lot, but I would have been better off just DCA'ing into an ETF like SPY over the last 3-4 years.

Anyway, for the time being, I'm going to revert to good ol' fashioned B&H. I've been a FED for almost 7 years now, and it's pathetic how little I've put into the TSP. I steadily increase my contributions, but am still a long way from maxing out - just can't afford it. Plus, taking out a loan last year was somewhat of a setback, even though I'm aggressively paying it off now. Since my side investments suck, I should probably just stop adding to my stock portfolio, and throw that money at the TSP.

Unlike many others, my plan is not to retire early. I'd like to keep working until at least 66, and even past that if I am still healthy and physically up to the challenge. At the same time, I've realized over the last year that health is unpredictable, and even though I feel now like I could go on forever, 10 years from now, the story might be different. It's a tough dilemma.

Well, social media is not the place for therapy, right? Just letting you know where my head is. Good luck to all of you with your trades. For the moment, sticky pants for me!
    I've been through times like you are feeling now and buy and hold is a good strategy during bull markets. Seems like in the past when I give up and say I'm gonna just let it ride, we hit a big drop in the market and I feel even worse. The market loves to frustrate.
    100 G
    RSI - Relative Strength Indicator DMA - day moving average

Blog Entries

Simular circumstances for myself, I feel for you on the stocks, I nailed some losers last year...
    Retired, 55G/15C/15S/15I (Paper Trading)_ BLOG: Stats for March, Stats for Q1, 2024 Stats

I went out this evening and bought my wife one of these. Combination birthday & congrats on beating cancer present. Retirement can wait.

2011-nissan-juke-side-view.jpg

Live for today my friend for we know not what tomorrow will bring! Been living that philosophy for a long time!

Take care!

Sporty looking. Enjoy.
    May the force be with us.

Cool, what is that? She should love it.

The best part is beating cancer. I am sure you had dark days, so congrats--to continued good health!

Quote Originally Posted by nnuut View Post
    Cool, what is that? She should love it.
    It's a Nissan Juke. They only sell them in Japan and Europe I guess.

OBXTrader Guest
    AutoTracker

They sell them here, a coworker has had one a couple years. Nice lines.

It's a Nissan Juke. They only sell them in Japan and Europe I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXTrader View Post
    They sell them here, a coworker has had one a couple years. Nice lines.
    Really? Good to know. That will probably make it easier to sell down the road. The Americans who get stationed here tend to like cars they know they can order parts for from the States.

Page 96 of 106 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast