Page 86 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,032 of 1267

Thread: Sensei's account talk

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sensei's account talk

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Tremendous self-loathing right now. I can't figure out why I zigged when everyone else was zigging. Not my style. I need to reflect, recalibrate, and find a way to move forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    Lol, the closer you are to the top, the more disgusting the self-loathing is. Perhaps you should join me in the 400s, I'm getting ready to crawl above the misfortunes of others...
    Correction: Make that the 200s
    Retired, 50G/50C_ BLOG: Stats for April, 2024 Stats

So, I mentioned a while back that I had taken out a TSP loan to cover the closing costs on a house, which I will pay for over the next 10 years using my gov't housing allowance. The deal has finally closed, and we'll be moving in two weeks. Here are a few pics:

First floor - living room and Japanese style tatami room

Uezu 01.jpg

Second floor - another living(ish) room with bedrooms on the right.

Uezu 02.jpg

Ocean view!

Uezu 03.jpg

So, I mentioned a while back that I had taken out a TSP loan to cover the closing costs on a house, which I will pay for over the next 10 years using my gov't housing allowance. The deal has finally closed, and we'll be moving in two weeks. Here are a few pics:

First floor - living room and Japanese style tatami room

Uezu 01.jpg

Second floor - another living(ish) room with bedrooms on the right.

Uezu 02.jpg

Ocean view!

Uezu 03.jpg
    Awesome pics Sensei. Thanks for sharing.
    "the biggest mistake that traders make is to let these short-term trades turn into longer-term investments when they don’t work." RevShark

sensei
    your in okinawa right? thats not the okinawa i remember back in 1975 with the quinsett huts heehe. very nice crib. congrats on home ownership.

Hi Guchi! Yeah, things have changed a little since your days here. Quansett huts are pretty much a thing of the past now. There was one on the lot in front of the place we're renting now, but the old man who owned it tore it down a couple years ago. Kadena has one on display, preserved as it was used back in the 50s or 60s. You can still find your old favorite akadama wine in some of the stores though. Maybe I'll hunt a bottle down this weekend to celebrate my new purchase. I'll raise my glass in your honor!

Quote Originally Posted by GUCHI View Post
    sensei
    your in okinawa right? thats not the okinawa i remember back in 1975 with the quinsett huts heehe. very nice crib. congrats on home ownership.

i used to live on base housing and we would go thru the fence and go downtown to bc street and get that akadama wine, seemores, milk candy, and hand tailored suits. akadama was a buck and suits were so cheap that as a kid i had a few made to go along with my platform shoes. those were the days. now you don't spend too much time on bc street or the mamasans will be looking for you to spend some okoknee. heehee

Wow. Nice digs Sensei! Looks like really great craftsmanship. Congratulations!

Maybe I am naive, but I was under the impression you had to be Japanese to purchase real estate in Japan. Am I wrong, did the rules change, or did you marry into the culture?
    100% G Fund COB 13 March 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveTDs View Post
    Maybe I am naive, but I was under the impression you had to be Japanese to purchase real estate in Japan. Am I wrong, did the rules change, or did you marry into the culture?
    There's no legal restriction on foreigners buying real estate in Japan, but the banks stand in the way. They will only qualify you for a loan if you are a permanent resident of Japan, which I am not, as I am here under the Status of Forces Agreement between the U.S. & Japan. My wife is Japanese, which is how a lot of Americans over here are able to get loans. We, however, have a slightly different purchase contract between us and the seller that doesn't require any money down or an interest. Not exactly a rent-to-own, b/c our names go on the title right away, but more like a ten year purchase plan. He's happy because we're paying above his asking price, and we're happy because our monthly payment is within our housing allowance.

BTW, good to hear from you, man! I'd talk trash, but I'm in the S-fund this week..

I've lost some money, but as long as I don't sell for the rest of the year, I'll beat the S-fund.

From a long-term perspective (I have 2+ decades before I retire), an extended bear market or consolidation over the next two years will help me in the long run. I cashed out half my account in the form of a loan back in January, when the S&P was at 1879. For the next couple years, I'm paying that back along with my regular contributions, so my DCA is almost double now what it usually is. Bring on the pain.

Blog Entries

I've lost some money, but as long as I don't sell for the rest of the year, I'll beat the S-fund.

From a long-term perspective (I have 2+ decades before I retire), an extended bear market or consolidation over the next two years will help me in the long run. I cashed out half my account in the form of a loan back in January, when the S&P was at 1879. For the next couple years, I'm paying that back along with my regular contributions, so my DCA is almost double now what it usually is. Bring on the pain.
    I'm in a simular situation, with a small TSP loan I'm paying off, I have no problems accumulating more shares at cheaper prices, regardless of the direction, it's a win/win for me.
    Retired, 50G/50C_ BLOG: Stats for April, 2024 Stats

Wow, has it really been a month since I've posted to my account thread? Yes, yes it has. Here's why...

About a month ago, my wife found a lump on her breast. Went to the doctor, long story short, she has breast cancer. Stage 1. We've been through the tears, the fear, the panic, the depression. Then we learned more about it, heard survivors' stories, took a deep breath, and realized it will be all right. She'll have a lumpectomy in June, send it off to the US for analysis, and then determine the need for chemotherapy. Hopefully there will be none.

So, this Mother's Day was extra special for us. Let's try to make every day Mother's Day. I haven't paid much attention to the stock market. Whatever will be will be.

I debated over whether I should post this here. I've never met any of you, but some of you have been very helpful and supportive in many ways. The outpouring of support for Showme was fantastic. I'm not looking for sympathy or attention. Just a little reassurance. Sometimes it's better to share what's gnawing at you than to keep it bottled up inside.

I hope all is well with you and yours.

Sensei

Page 86 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast