Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: nasa1974's retirement story

Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

They took 20% off the top for Federal taxes. I wonder how bad local and State taxes will be. I guess I will find out next February or March when I file my taxes.
    May the force be with us.

Quote Originally Posted by nasa1974 View Post
    They took 20% off the top for Federal taxes. I wonder how bad local and State taxes will be. I guess I will find out next February or March when I file my taxes.
    Ouch! But thanks for sharing nasa -- good to know. Hope you get some of that back next winter/spring when you file your return -- I'll be interested in hearing as I'm considering a partial w/d at some point in the next year or so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Khotso View Post
    Ouch! But thanks for sharing nasa -- good to know. Hope you get some of that back next winter/spring when you file your return -- I'll be interested in hearing as I'm considering a partial w/d at some point in the next year or so as well.
    Depending how much you need you have to remember to add that extra for the tax man. Tax time will be interesting.

Tax time requires at least a year ahead in planning - especially now that you have retired. Try and keep what is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Birchtree View Post
    Tax time requires at least a year ahead in planning - especially now that you have retired. Try and keep what is yours.
    Good advice. I may get burned by the tax man but I had to pay off what was left of my daughters school loans. Now I will have some extra spending or investing money.

Nasa,

Yeah, they get their 20 % right off the top...I didn't get hit when I rolled most of my TSP to my IRA, but my monthly withdrawal from my remaining TSP balance gets the 20% deducted, before it ever leaves the TSP ! It's not "adjustable", either...at least I haven't found a way to change it ! You just gotta factor that in when you make your projections on next year's taxes...glad I don't have a State tax to worry about...

Stoplight...
    "Too old to rock and roll...too young to die"... - I. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Stoplight View Post
    Nasa,

Yeah, they get their 20 % right off the top...I didn't get hit when I rolled most of my TSP to my IRA, but my monthly withdrawal from my remaining TSP balance gets the 20% deducted, before it ever leaves the TSP ! It's not "adjustable", either...at least I haven't found a way to change it ! You just gotta factor that in when you make your projections on next year's taxes...glad I don't have a State tax to worry about...

Stoplight...
    Your right about the 20% right off the top but you can ask for them to take an additional amount out if you want. Yeah, right!!!

Friday I made my final payment on the school loans for my daughters and the electronic payment posted yesterday in my checking account. I'm debt free except for my house payment. But I will be looking at a new vehicle within the year. So then I will owe on the house and a truck. But for the time being I have some extra income.

Your right about the 20% right off the top but you can ask for them to take an additional amount out if you want. Yeah, right!!!

LOL !!! Yeah, I DID see where I could change that !!!

Friday I made my final payment on the school loans for my daughters and the electronic payment posted yesterday in my checking account. I'm debt free except for my house payment. But I will be looking at a new vehicle within the year. So then I will owe on the house and a truck. But for the time being I have some extra income.

SWEET !!! Nice job, Nasa...and you are a GOOD Dad !!!

Stoplight...
    "Too old to rock and roll...too young to die"... - I. Anderson

Just got my OPM notification in the mail today about my 1.5% COLA for 2014. Better than last year.

Just got my OPM notification in the mail today about my 1.5% COLA for 2014. Better than last year.
    Saweet!
    CURRENT ALLOCATION: 100% I AS OF C.O.B. 5/22/2017

I got my 1099R in the mail today from OPM.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast