Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: TSP

  1. #1

    Default TSP

    I'm new to federal law enforcement and FERS. With twenty plus years until retirement, is it not wise to put 100% of my TSP in the S fund and let it ride for the next ten years, being that S fund has the largest gains? I'm putting 10% into TSP. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Sent from my XT1080 using TSP Talk Forums mobile app


  2.  
  3. #2

    Default Re: TSP

    Quote Originally Posted by DC2Scott View Post
    I'm new to federal law enforcement and FERS. With twenty plus years until retirement, is it not wise to put 100% of my TSP in the S fund and let it ride for the next ten years, being that S fund has the largest gains? I'm putting 10% into TSP. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Sent from my XT1080 using TSP Talk Forums mobile app
    Welcome brother! As long as your investing the max you are ahead of the game. S fund is a great place to start while reading, learning and researching. As a new Fed your gonna need around 600k+ to retire at 50 in my opinion. On a side note join FLEOA and protect your savings. Peace ��

  4.  
  5. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    465

    Default Re: TSP

    Sounds like your on the right track. Lot's to learn and read here and good to be aggressively invested with so long to go except for major downturns.

    Best of Luck!

  6.  
  7. #4

    Default Re: TSP

    Quote Originally Posted by dhstdog View Post
    Welcome brother! As long as your investing the max you are ahead of the game. S fund is a great place to start while reading, learning and researching. As a new Fed your gonna need around 600k+ to retire at 50 in my opinion. On a side note join FLEOA and protect your savings. Peace 👌
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look into FLEOA.

    Sent from my XT1080 using TSP Talk Forums mobile app

  8.  
  9. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    8,294

    Default Re: TSP

    Quote Originally Posted by DC2Scott View Post
    I'm new to federal law enforcement and FERS. With twenty plus years until retirement, is it not wise to put 100% of my TSP in the S fund and let it ride for the next ten years, being that S fund has the largest gains? I'm putting 10% into TSP. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Sent from my XT1080 using TSP Talk Forums mobile app
    DC2Scott,

    Welcome to TSPTalk.

    Great question. Just remember folks will make suggestions but shouldn't tell you what to do. Being 100% S fund is aggressive and if you are comfortable with that great. Think of your TSP account as a marathon not a sprint. The market will have its peaks and valleys and over twenty years will make up the low points. You could look at the L2020 fund and let that help build up your TSP as you get comfortable and more familiar with how you can handle your account. Right now the "I" fund is doing pretty good and talk back in 2016 was the "I" fund was due for a breakout. I know it's a lot to think about. Remember also, you only have 2 IFT's (Inter Fund Transfers) per month between funds.

    If you go to my members account I posted what the funds have looked like in February since 1988. Keep asking questions. Lots of folks around here to help answer any questions.

    Good Luck.

    nasa1974
    May the force be with us.

  10.  
  11. #6

    Default Re: TSP

    Quote Originally Posted by nasa1974 View Post
    DC2Scott,

    Welcome to TSPTalk.

    Great question. Just remember folks will make suggestions but shouldn't tell you what to do. Being 100% S fund is aggressive and if you are comfortable with that great. Think of your TSP account as a marathon not a sprint. The market will have its peaks and valleys and over twenty years will make up the low points. You could look at the L2020 fund and let that help build up your TSP as you get comfortable and more familiar with how you can handle your account. Right now the "I" fund is doing pretty good and talk back in 2016 was the "I" fund was due for a breakout. I know it's a lot to think about. Remember also, you only have 2 IFT's (Inter Fund Transfers) per month between funds.

    If you go to my members account I posted what the funds have looked like in February since 1988. Keep asking questions. Lots of folks around here to help answer any questions.

    Good Luck.

    nasa1974
    Awesome advice. Being that the Dow is so high right now, would it be smart to delay such a shift towards the S fund until it drops off? Thanks for the knowledge.

    Sent from my XT1080 using TSP Talk Forums mobile app

  12.  
  13. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    8,294

    Default Re: TSP

    Quote Originally Posted by DC2Scott View Post
    Awesome advice. Being that the Dow is so high right now, would it be smart to delay such a shift towards the S fund until it drops off? Thanks for the knowledge.

    Sent from my XT1080 using TSP Talk Forums mobile app
    Again that would be your call. Right now at $42/share the "S" fund will give you less bang for your buck. However, over the last couple of years the "S" fund has had a high rate of return. You could look at splitting your dollars between the "C, S & I" funds. Go to the AutoTracker and look how others have set up there accounts; TSP Talk AutoTracker

    Also set up your own members account talk; http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/members-account-talk/ click on "Post New Thread". Read the AutoTracker Rules also.
    May the force be with us.

  14.  
  15. #8

    Default Re: TSP

    Quote Originally Posted by nasa1974 View Post
    Again that would be your call. Right now at $42/share the "S" fund will give you less bang for your buck. However, over the last couple of years the "S" fund has had a high rate of return. You could look at splitting your dollars between the "C, S & I" funds. Go to the AutoTracker and look how others have set up there accounts; TSP Talk AutoTracker

    Also set up your own members account talk; http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/members-account-talk/ click on "Post New Thread". Read the AutoTracker Rules also.
    Thanks. I really appreciate your time!

    Sent from my XT1080 using TSP Talk Forums mobile app

  16.  
  17. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,747

    Default Re: TSP

    You found the right place to help grow your TSP over the next 20 years.
    Explore the premium services on here. Pick one that fits your needs, and style of investing. They can help you take a great deal of guesswork out of the process. You seem like a smart young man who's already on the right track.
    I retired from from Fed LE (DOJ/BOP). Never had any regrets. Tough job, but very rewarding.
    Good luck in the future.
    Watch your "6".


  18.  
  19. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,768

    Default Re: TSP

    There are many different approaches you can take. Some people buy & hold or dollar cost average using one or several funds, some trade based on charts (but remember that you only have 2 IFTs per month), other invest based on seasonal patterns. TSP has started putting people in the L Funds that are targeted to your retirement date that decrease risk as you get closer to retirement. Over the long term, you will probably want to invest more in stocks. The C Fund is the top 500 US Large Cap companies while the S Fund is the remainder of the the US traded companies. Some people will split 50/50 to reflect the total market. Recommend you look around and read as much as you can about investing. Your risk tolerance, or lack thereof, will influence your approach. Good luck, you are on the right path

  20.  
  21. Default Re: TSP

    Thanks for the advice. Lots to learn going forward.

    Sent from my XT1080 using TSP Talk Forums mobile app

  22.  

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
S&P 500 (C Fund)
S&P 500 INDEX,RTH (^GSPC)
DWCPF (S Fund)
Dow Jones U.S. Completion Total Stock Market Index (^DWCPF)
EFA (I Fund)
iShares MSCI EAFE Index (EFA)
AGG (F Fund)
iShares Lehman Aggregate Bond (AGG)