Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What exactly is Personal Investment Performance (PIP) and how do I calculate it?

Default Re: What exactly is Personal Investment Performance (PIP) and how do I calculate it?

Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    I just retired the end of December, transferred a portion out of the TSP in mid February, and started monthly payments at the same time. When I went to look at my PIP it said "Your PIP could not be calculated because your monthly account balances for the entire year were unavailable." Any ideas why it would show this?
    It is probably the 1 time rollover in your situation would be an exception to what they normally deal with, which the system probably isn't programmed to deal with. Since you just took the withdrawal last month, I would be interested to know if they will fix that in future months or how long that will apply since I'm planning to do something similar.

Based on RazorCat's comment, I'm not sure how they factor monthly withdrawals in calculating your PIP, whether withdrawals would be considered a loss or if it would lower your PIP similar to Mr.Snrub's situation (excluding loan repayments along with the associated earnings from the PIP) or if it really matters.

You can always look at your activity summary in your online account and use the data to calculate it yourself.

P.S. You may want to save Mr.Snrub's spreadsheet/calculations below or get them once finalized.

Default Re: What exactly is Personal Investment Performance (PIP) and how do I calculate it?

Thanks evilanne, I'll try to keep you updated if things change.

Quote Originally Posted by evilanne View Post
    Based on RazorCat's comment, I'm not sure how they factor monthly withdrawals in calculating your PIP, whether withdrawals would be considered a loss or if it would lower your PIP similar to Mr.Snrub's situation (excluding loan repayments along with the associated earnings from the PIP) or if it really matters.
    From what I have seen when I took out a TSP loan, the withdrawal did not have a negative impact on my reported PIP. The dollar amount taken out for the loan came from my employee traditional contributions. The confusion on how the PIP is actually calculated was the main reason why I track withdrawals and loan repayments made separately in my spreadsheet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12