Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stoplight's Post Retirement, Post TSP Thread

Default Re: Stoplight's Post Retirement, Post TSP Thread

Merry Christmas Stoplight.

I haven't withdrawn any from TSP yet, I want to let it grow a little more--retiring early I'm short of my goal that I would have had if I worked for 4 more years. I think that we got into the habit of saving all those years that it will probably be strange when we start to withdraw/spend those funds.

Quote Originally Posted by evilanne View Post
    Merry Christmas Stoplight.

I haven't withdrawn any from TSP yet, I want to let it grow a little more--retiring early I'm short of my goal that I would have had if I worked for 4 more years. I think that we got into the habit of saving all those years that it will probably be strange when we start to withdraw/spend those funds.

Evil,

I left money in the TSP when I retired...rolled the rest into the traditional IRA...

I pulled that TSP out monthly, without penalty, per my "retirement plan", until it was depleted... Lasted longer than I thought !!! Pulling those TSP dollars didn't bother me a bit !!!

...but now...pulling from the IRAs, since we're both now beyond the 59.5 yo penalty threshold ??? UGH !!!

OTOH...still way ahead of my plan balance !!! ...and retiring at age 57 is WAY worth it, to me !!!!

Stoplight...
    "Too old to rock and roll...too young to die"... - I. Anderson

Okay...I've finally done my spreadsheet upgrade with the new year's stock prices, and seeing where I stand ! Re-balancing... Just thought I'd share...

The basics ??? I sold my Apple a while ago, and I recently dumped my Disney...also lightened up on the bonds I was holding...

Probably WAY too much in cash, but I'm nervous...what can I say !

So my current allocation is :

52% individual stocks/stock mutual funds/etf
    14% bond mutual funds
    4% "income" mutual funds (mixed asset class)
    30% cash (includes straight cash, and conservative U.S. Treasuries)

Sectors on the individual stocks look like this (MY definition !!! Probably not tracking the market's definition of "sectors" : )

Transportation 2.10%
    Financial 5.00%
    Services 8.55%
    Materials/Energy 8.75%
    Beverage 9.06%
    Utilities 9.41%
    Communication 12.80%
    Health 13.04%
    Food 14.64%
    Tech 16.64%

"Mad Money", the stuff I day/swing trade, is ~7.2% of the total...

Sooo...I'm pretty comfortable with where I stand right now !!! I've dumped pretty much everything that's paying less than 4% dividend, based on my buy-in price...the stinker is oil (BP Prudhoe Bay Trust)...we'll see if that comes back in 2017 !!!

Stoplight...

Couldn't resist !!! Sold 10% of our Seagate (STX) to book some profits after the insane run-up the last few days !!! I'm already heavy on tech, even AFTER selling my Apple...so this will bring me down a little...

Hmmmm....that realized gain more than pays for the 3 nights of hotel in Sydney !!! I would've sold more, but the stock is paying a 6.7% dividend on our buy-in price...that's a "Golden Goose" (so far !) that I don't want to kill...

Also parked $10K more in cash in the Global X World fund (SDIV)...just to get it out of cash...may lose money ; may make money....but it sure as heck wasn't earning anything in the money market cash account !!!

Good luck to all !!!

Stoplight...

Quote Originally Posted by Stoplight View Post
    Couldn't resist !!! Sold 10% of our Seagate (STX) to book some profits after the insane run-up the last few days !!! ...

Hmmmm....that realized gain more than pays for the 3 nights of hotel in Sydney !!! I would've sold more, but the stock is paying a 6.7% dividend on our buy-in price...that's a "Golden Goose" (so far !) that I don't want to kill...

Good luck to all !!!

Stoplight...

Along those lines

Today I cashed out of some shares of Brooks Automation Inc (BRKS). I bought in 12/12 @ $7.77...sold a portion today at $20.89...realized gain > $3,600 on those shares I sold. Overall, my ROI (per Quicken) is 188%...

The dividend based on today's price is only 1.9%, but since I'm making ~ 5%, I want to hold on to this stock !!! Besides, I also like all the talk about robotics, in so many different sectors.

Hmmmm....let's see : that gain pays ~ 85% of the basic cost of our our Sydney to Auckland cruise on Holland America...part of our trip to Australia and New Zealand ! We leave on that "bucket list" trip, 2 weeks from today !

Good investing to all !

Stoplight...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12