Page 626 of 797 FirstFirst ... 126526576616624625626627628636676726 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,512 of 9562

Thread: JTH's Account Talk

Default Re: JTH's Account Talk

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    It is still a tradable range until the 1988 level breaks. I took an entry this morning in SPXL at 79.51 and will manage the trade as effectively as possible.
    Hoping that this finally proves to be the higher low we (I) have been looking for.

It is still a tradable range until the 1988 level breaks. I took an entry this morning in SPXL at 79.51 and will manage the trade as effectively as possible.
    Well done.
    CURRENT ALLOCATION: 100% I AS OF C.O.B. 5/22/2017

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrJohnRoss View Post
    Well done.
    Thanks for reminding me, it's been a busy day, too busy remember I bought it, so I just placed a stop at 82.50 I expect it will get triggered easily, but that's ok.

Scratch that, the order triggered before the close, so I'm out at 82.50

Attachment 32224
    Retired, 55G/15C/15S/15I (Paper Trading)_ BLOG: Stats for March, Stats for Q1, 2024 Stats

JTH, congratulations for your excellent trade with SPXL today! Some months ago, I think, you posted the excellent summary of a detailed study you had carried out with TNA/TZA. Please help me understand why you chose to trade SPXL over TNA, if both are 3x leveraged ETFs. Today TNA showed better gains than SPXL, and some analysts believe that going forward small caps should perform better than large caps. Was your decision guided more by the possibility of avoiding bigger losses in case further downside in the markets? Tia.

Good play on that SPXL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by airlift View Post
    JTH, congratulations for your excellent trade with SPXL today! Some months ago, I think, you posted the excellent summary of a detailed study you had carried out with TNA/TZA. Please help me understand why you chose to trade SPXL over TNA, if both are 3x leveraged ETFs. Today TNA showed better gains than SPXL, and some analysts believe that going forward small caps should perform better than large caps. Was your decision guided more by the possibility of avoiding bigger losses in case further downside in the markets? Tia.
    Thank you my friend, I always enjoy your questions because it opens up my perspective and brings my thoughts into the open, that makes me a better trader.

Here is the part where the forum gets to laugh at me, I made .04 cents on that trade for a .01% profit.

Here's the thing, I'm really not trading right now, what I am doing is lowering my cost basis per share. Right now, with USAA, it cost me $8.95 to get in and another $8.95 to get out, this is for the first 25 trades within 90 days. Once I exceed 25 trades in 90 days, the trading cost go down to $4.95 to go in and another $4.95 to get out. Currently, I need 10 more trades. I realize USAA is not the best trading platform to use, but this is where all my banking is done and I am not what we should call a "serious" trader, I am a novice and student who is evolving my craft. There will be a time when I plan on doing this full-time, but right now, my primary focus is on my family and my Airman.

Today, I bought 6 shares at 79.51, with the $17.90 trading cost, the cost basis was $82.49 meaning that from the start of the trade I was already -3.62% in the hole. That means for $500 dollar risk, I lose roughly -3.5% from the start. Once I get the share cost down to $4.95, then the cost basis starts with a -2% loss with $500 of risk. From there, if I double the trade to 1K it's -1%, 2K is -.5%.

It may not seem logical to others, but until I get the cost basis down, I'm taking "high probability/tight stop" trades and in the process am willing to take a small loss with small risk, until the trading cost are reduced.

To answer the SPXL vs. TNA question, it can easily be argued that TNA is the better choice, here are some reasons I chose SPXL.

• Seasonally speaking, I calculated large caps tend to perform better in the month of January, in the last 2 days
    • SPX had a quad bottom, I felt that was the better opportunity at the moment when I decided to make a trade.
    • I've traded SPXL/SPXS 4 times this month, TNA once, so I feel I know the large cap price action better, I like to trade what I know.
    • My previous exit with SPXL was at 85.66 & 85.70 I always enjoy taking previous profit and applying it to the next trade at a lower price.
    • With PnF, I calculate 2 to 1 odds TNA's the better performer, but with that comes additional risk which doesn't match my short-term goal of reducing cost basis.
    Retired, 55G/15C/15S/15I (Paper Trading)_ BLOG: Stats for March, Stats for Q1, 2024 Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jpcavin View Post
    Good play on that SPXL.
    Jason, I'll echo JP on ya trade man! Congrats!! I love it when we can pick up some cerveza $$.

I always drink beer and usually it's BOOO-LIGHT!!!

Have a great weekend

Thank you my friend, I always enjoy your questions because it opens up my perspective and brings my thoughts into the open, that makes me a better trader.

Here is the part where the forum gets to laugh at me, I made .04 cents on that trade for a .01% profit.

Here's the thing, I'm really not trading right now, what I am doing is lowering my cost basis per share. Right now, with USAA, it cost me $8.95 to get in and another $8.95 to get out, this is for the first 25 trades within 90 days. Once I exceed 25 trades in 90 days, the trading cost go down to $4.95 to go in and another $4.95 to get out. Currently, I need 10 more trades. I realize USAA is not the best trading platform to use, but this is where all my banking is done and I am not what we should call a "serious" trader, I am a novice and student who is evolving my craft. There will be a time when I plan on doing this full-time, but right now, my primary focus is on my family and my Airman.

Today, I bought 6 shares at 79.51, with the $17.90 trading cost, the cost basis was $82.49 meaning that from the start of the trade I was already -3.62% in the hole. That means for $500 dollar risk, I lose roughly -3.5% from the start. Once I get the share cost down to $4.95, then the cost basis starts with a -2% loss with $500 of risk. From there, if I double the trade to 1K it's -1%, 2K is -.5%.

It may not seem logical to others, but until I get the cost basis down, I'm taking "high probability/tight stop" trades and in the process am willing to take a small loss with small risk, until the trading cost are reduced.

To answer the SPXL vs. TNA question, it can easily be argued that TNA is the better choice, here are some reasons I chose SPXL.

• Seasonally speaking, I calculated large caps tend to perform better in the month of January, in the last 2 days
    • SPX had a quad bottom, I felt that was the better opportunity at the moment when I decided to make a trade.
    • I've traded SPXL/SPXS 4 times this month, TNA once, so I feel I know the large cap price action better, I like to trade what I know.
    • My previous exit with SPXL was at 85.66 & 85.70 I always enjoy taking previous profit and applying it to the next trade at a lower price.
    • With PnF, I calculate 2 to 1 odds TNA's the better performer, but with that comes additional risk which doesn't match my short-term goal of reducing cost basis.
    JTH,

I don't have anything to add that you have not already addressed in this excellent response. Thank you!!!

Blog Entries

Good night!

Misc: Breaking Even

You bought six shares of an $80 stock and paid $18 for the trade in and out?

dude! You cant win with that.

i bought PG today for around $85. 150 shares. I paid $2 for the trade which is almost insignificant in my scenario. Im hoping PG jumps to $90 so i can pay my $2 to sell off for $750 gain.
    11.80% for 2012, 24.79% for 2013, -5.13% for 2014 , 4.94% for 2015 WTF?, -0.04% for 2016 , 13.09% for 2017======= 8.23% , Moved to Vanguard in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by rktect1 View Post
    You bought six shares of an $80 stock and paid $18 for the trade in and out?

dude! You cant win with that.

i bought PG today for around $85. 150 shares. I paid $2 for the trade which is almost insignificant in my scenario. Im hoping PG jumps to $90 so i can pay my $2 to sell off for $750 gain.
    OK, I have to ask. who are you paying the $2 to? what outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    OK, I have to ask. who are you paying the $2 to? what outfit?
    Yeah! Really! And how much do you have to have in your brokerage account to pay those cheap fees?

Page 626 of 797 FirstFirst ... 126526576616624625626627628636676726 ... LastLast