Likes Likes:  0

Thread: SteveTSP's Account Talk

Default SteveTSP's Account Talk

I plan to retire in 3 years with my wife after 35 years of civil service in the Navy for both of us. Hoping to obtain a reasonable gain on the many years of TSP allocations. I am an engineer by trade and it appears that I have very little knowledge of how the market system works. Previous plan for my fund allocation was (15% F / 60% C / 15% S / 10% I) over the last two years. I did not like what was occurring to my TSP account with the recent downturn in the market since Oct 07 and wanted to jump in an take control. So far I have done very poorly over this past month (since I am very impatient person) but hope to become smarter with my new interest in TSP Talk forum discussions. Steve

Default Re: SteveTSP's Account Talk

Welcome aboard!
    To get to the light at the end of the tunnel, you have to be willing to face the train.

My IFT's prior to Auto Tracker:
    1/2/08 to 1/18/08: G 0% F 15% C 60% S 15% I 10% Return: -8.19%
    1/22/08 to 1/24/08: G 70% F 30% C 0% S 0% I 0% Return: -8.18%
    1/25/08 to 1/30/08: G 1000% F 0% C 0% S 0% I 0% Return: -8.11%
    1/31/08 to 2/4/08: G 0% F 100% C 0% S 0% I 0% Return: -7.80%
    2/5/08 to today: G 0% F 0% C 0% S 0% I 100% Return: -11.54% 2/13/08
    As you can see, my move into the I fund on 2/5 for a guess of a 2% bounce did not happen and I am still thinking and hoping for my next move!

Thanks Dr F, I have really enjoyed reading your posts and thanks for taking to time to say hi! Steve

Welcome to the big time, Steve. I can appreciate your situation. I retired in 2006 and having to deal with a static balance in my TSP ...no more influx. Be careful...you can lose a lot in a little amount of time. Check out the TSPtalk autotracker, see who is doing well, and try to follow them. ASK QUESTIONS!!! Most of the members are eager to help you out. I have been in the TSPtalk since last April, and found that my gains have been good and my losses have been less than before joining TSPtalk. Sometimes mitigating a loss is more important than making a profit! Dr. Faustus is very knowledgable and is willing to answer your questions (however he is not in the autotracker).
    I would suggest patience and conservative trading until you figure it out. This market right now can eat you alive if you're not careful.
    Good Luck !!!

crhuss, Sound words of wisdom. Thanks for the advice, Steve

Moved back into stocks today (5/7/2008) from 100% F to 35% C / 40% S / 25% I after trying to avoid additional losses. After three months of being active in my TSP, I have confirmed my lack of ability to be patient even though I know that in advance(weakness). I have observed several members closely and try to follow them when it made sense to me. However, I have found that I have the ability to pick times that have fooled allot of members, including myself and thus moving too quick to limit exposure. This usually has resulted in moving too early and missing the upswing. Of course, it is easy to be critical after you see what the market does the following two weeks but it is allot harder to stay when you have seen a 8% fall in a few days in Jan 2008. Just one other thing, the I fund looks so good when you see the ups and it is scary to see the large drops based on events that you think would not effect the I fund that much. Still allot to learn and hoping to be more conservative under our new (offensive) restrictions and thus I am lowering my near term expectations to recover the losses from Nov to Jan. Steve

At 1630 Eastern time on 10/23/08, I changed my contribution allocations from stocks to 100% G. I did not get an email from TSP that the change was requested and the web page this morning still shows that my pay contributions will be allocated into stocks. Does anyone know how long it takes TSP to show the new requested allocations on their web page or how long to reply with an email that a change was requested. I know the different payroll dates and systems will effect when this actually will happen but I think that TSP should inform me quickly that a request was made? I will try some more seaching but I do not remember anyone mentioning exactly when TSP says it is effective.
    Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve,

The cutoff for Contribution Allocation Changes and/or InterFund Transfers (CACs or IFTs) is 1200 EST each day that the TSP is "open" for business. All CACs or IFTs will be effective the next day that TSP is "open" for business if posted by that 1200 deadline.

Since your change was requested at 1630 EST on Thursday 10/23, TSP treats this as a change requested before 1200 EST today on Friday 10/24. The e-mail notifications kick off the evening that the change is effective, so you should see them this evening, and you should see updated price and allocation info reflected in your TSP account for Monday 10/27.

The G fund is a safe and profitable place to hang out while you catch your breath, adjust your bearings, and begin investing again. IMHO, one needs to be comfortable in their own skin when making changes to their TSP 401(k) RETIREMENT account, because riding (and profiting in) such an unprecedented roller coaster of a market as this has been requires a clear head, patience, endurance, and TONS of DRAMAMINE.

Cheers!
    If I fail, I'll fail TRYING... TSPCA: G=0% F=100% C=0% S=0% I=0% L Income=0% L2020=0% L2030=0% L2040=0% L2050=0%

Chris,

Thanks for the info and I am now sure you are right on the mark. There is not only a 1200 cutoff for IFTs but the same holds true for allocation changes. I will now look for an email this evening and really appreciate your feedback on a matter that I should had more knowledge of. Also, thanks for your thoughts on my G movements, I hate to be on the sidelines but I can not stand the heat of this market right now for my mental well being. Looking for re-entry point sooner than later but later has been better the last two months so far.
    Thanks again, Steve