Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question on calculations

Cool Question on calculations

Hi, all,

I have a question: Does anyone have a spreadsheet that I could use to help me calculate the $ and % with different columns of our contributions, the Government matching, the catch-up contributions, plus the profit earned according to our IFTs on a daily, weekly or monthly basis? I don't want to reinvent the wheel if it is already existent.

Thanks and God bless.

CorMaGa34
    P.S. HAPPY NEW FISCAL YEAR AND HAPPY TRADING TO ALL!!!

Default Re: Question on calculations

You can find the returns calculator here: http://www.tsptalk.com/utilities.html

It does not include the % increase in your account based on government matching or any contributions though.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, ChemEng, that should help, except that I wanted to find something with contributions/catch up + Gov matching/basic $s, % and same on profit based on IFTs. Perhaps I am looking too much into it, and should just stick with the spreadsheet showing % earned based on IFTs.

Appreciate your prompt reply.

I use Quicken for tracking all my investment accounts, bank accounts, credit cards, real estate property, other assets, and cash. This program uses all contributions you make to an account, or security, when calculating the return. This program and Microsoft Money are not free, and there is a learning curve. We have a member (1212Computer) that updates all TSP fund prices daily for import into Quicken.

Over the years I have created many reports in Quicken for cash flow, return on investment, net worth, and federal tax estimates. It also comes with many reports and graphs built in. I can very quickly examine the return of any security, account, account types (Taxable, IRA, Roth, Rollover, 401K, TSP), or all investments for any time period.

Quote Originally Posted by CorMaGa34 View Post
    Thanks, ChemEng, that should help, except that I wanted to find something with contributions/catch up + Gov matching/basic $s, % and same on profit based on IFTs. Perhaps I am looking too much into it, and should just stick with the spreadsheet showing % earned based on IFTs.

Appreciate your prompt reply.
    You could input your information into Yodlee.com and they would include those changes. The other option would be just to wait for your quarterly statements from TSP and then compare the start to the end and get the percent that way.

I'm going to try GNU cash... its freeware...anyone have any experience with this program?... If not I'll report back with findings.

http://www.gnucash.org/

GnuCash is personal and small-business financial-accounting software, freely licensed under the GNU GPL and available for GNU/Linux, BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows.
    Designed to be easy to use, yet powerful and flexible, GnuCash allows you to track bank accounts, stocks, income and expenses. As quick and intuitive to use as a checkbook register, it is based on professional accounting principles to ensure balanced books and accurate reports.
    Feature Highlights

• QIF/OFX/HBCI Import, Transaction Matching
    • Reports, Graphs
    • Scheduled Transactions
    • Financial Calculations

• Double-Entry Accounting
    • Stock/Bond/Mutual Fund Accounts
    • Small-Business Accounting
    • Customers, Vendors, Jobs,
      Invoices, A/P, A/R

Never used it before, but double entry accounting will be a lot of fun reconciling every purchase.