Page 138 of 799 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238638 ... LastLast
Results 1,645 to 1,656 of 9585

Thread: JTH's Account Talk

Blog Entries

Default Re: JTH's Account Talk

Thanks for dropping in everyone, I'm looking forward to planning our entries for next month! F-Fund was flat today, following 7 down days, with above average negative volume on AGG over the last 3 days, I'd think we are getting close to consolidation. I have no plans for playing the F-Fund, but that doesn't mean it won't be a viable option over stocks. What do you'll think?

Attachment 10841
    Retired, 50G/50C_ BLOG: Stats for April, 2024 Stats

I think the good US economic reports (earnings, consumer spending) will continue to keep the F fund down in the long term. Short term F fund moves, anticipating dips, are viable but perhaps not worth the hassle. My own 2011 tracker is an example that: one F-fund move I timed right and bought the dip. This last one I missed the +2% day.

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    Thanks for dropping in everyone, I'm looking forward to planning our entries for next month! F-Fund was flat today, following 7 down days, with above average negative volume on AGG over the last 3 days, I'd think we are getting close to consolidation. I have no plans for playing the F-Fund, but that doesn't mean it won't be a viable option over stocks. What do you'll think?

Attachment 10841
    In anticipation of the end of QE2, and if QE3 is not in the cards, i.e. given PIMCO's hint that a reentry to the US Bond market will be when they can get a better rate-
    I suppose you could speculate (maybe too strong a term, perhaps "theorize") that ST bonds would get a boost as the recovery is weighed vs. realistic equity valuations heading into the weaning days of abundant liquidity.

Blog Entries

Some thoughts to ponder, both short-term & long-term.

Dusting off an old favorite, we have the number of S&P 500 stocks trading above their 50 day moving average. The good news is there is room to the upside before hitting the red-line resistance. The bad news is the red-line is declining showing weaker tops.

Attachment 10847

Blog Entries

Thus far my exit from the S-Fund 3 days ago has cost me 1.74%. As a result, there will be a new crop of winner's emerging on the tracker, and I will be discarded like an old newspaper used to keep the bird cage clean. Tomorrow will be the last day of the month & 1st quarter. Mr. Market appears to favor a winner "duh"

I present to you the Transports, leader of many follower of few. So go the transports, so go the markets... Today she broke higher ground, therefore a new green trendline has emerged and all other trendlines are erased.
    Attachment 10850

and I will be discarded like an old newspaper used to keep the bird cage clean.
    Sounds like personal experience.....
    -I'm sorry

Hey- you could look at it from the perspective that you kept that 1.74% too, when the whipsaw comes sailing through the woods!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crws View Post
    Sounds like personal experience.....
    -I'm sorry

Hey- you could look at it from the perspective that you kept that 1.74% too, when the whipsaw comes sailing through the woods!
    I'm low-balling...

Blog Entries

2011 Personal Performance Report

1 Jan: Started out from 2010 with a 1G, 26C, 52S, 21I allocation. I had reservations about this allocation because I felt it was a mistake to split my resources across multiple funds. The reason behind my thinking? How certain can you be about a position if you're so inclined to spread your risk? If you take a position you should have proof this is the best position you can take, and by spreading your risk you're showing you have doubt about the position you're taking.

11 Jan: Entered G with 1.01% At the time I made this decision both C & S had been down 4 of 5 days, and the dollar have been down 5 of 6. I felt the I fund had taken a downturn and I didn't want to get dragged down into the red. Turns out my decision was 1 day too early, although I escaped with a .43% gain that day, I missed out on a 1.15% gain the next day. I ended up sitting in the G-Fund for the next 10 trading days.

26 Jan: Entered S-Fund. I didn't really want to enter the markets at this level, but I felt the pullback had already occurred and since the trend is up I felt perhaps we were ready for another breakout. This time I was 2 days early, as the Egypt crisis began to emerge. My first day in the S-fund I gained .41% and on the second day I lost -2.15%

31 Jan EOM:
    I managed to end the month with a slight profit at .15% not even enough to outpace the G-Fund or inflation Today's bounce gives me concerns going into February, the bounce was very weak on the transports and weak across the S&P 500 & Wilshire 4500. The good news (if you can call it that) is I managed to meet my goal of starting the month invested...

4 Feb: Entered G-Fund. Started the month out invested 100% S-Fund. After making a 4-day 2.13% gain I headed to the sidelines to rest out the oil-based news and wait for another buying opportunity.

24 Feb: Entered S-Fund. I had sat on the sidelines for 13 days, prices pulled back over 3% so I felt like I was jumping in at a slightly discounted price. Just managed to get in a lower price than my last exit.

28 Feb: Ended the month with a 4.71% gain, remaining 100% S-Fund. Bonds are tracking with stocks (who will blink first), I'll be looking to make a minimum level before making an exit. My personal belief is the downtrend has already began, only a double-top breakout will change my mind.

3 March:
    Entered G-Fund. The night before I had decided to make an exit, only if I thought I could escape with more than 1.37% This would (at a minimum) afford me the opportunity to outperform the G-Fund for the month should I decide to stay out of stocks for the remainder of March. It was a calculated risk that paid off and I'm happy with the outcome, having made .67% more than my lowest expectation. A 5 day investment in the S-Fund yielded a 3.04% gain.

15 Mar: Entered S-Fund. Earth Quake devastates Japan, but watching the news over the weekend I'm optimistic the people of Japan (more so than other peoples) can overcome these tragedies. The ability of the markets to hold ground under these strained Middle Eastern & Japan conditions is nothing short of amazing. As I write this, Futures are down hard, so be it, I can't be right on everything all the time, but I can avoid being wrong for too long. Off the last major wave shown in the chart, if we retrace more than 50% (1258.85) for more than 3 days, I will be forced to consider an exit.

25 Mar: Entered G-Fund. Ended up staying in S-Fund position a bit too long, but adding a little patience worked out. 2.82% over 9 trading days. Needed a mental break, watching the markets as intensely as I do, takes it's toll.

31 Mar: Ending the month with a 3.49% gain ending the month in the G-Fund. We have a double-top breakout on the leaders, the Transports & the W4500. My entry into stocks was 2 days too early, my exit was (and still is) too early. All in all it was still a very good month and all my goals were met, patience was well rewarded. My expectations for next month are uncertain.

MTD Stats: Jan .15% -- Feb 4.71% -- Mar 3.49%

YTD Stats:
    Updated 31 March, 28 days Invested 34 days sidelined, of days invested, 68% positive, 32% negative. Average daily gain .137%

Blog Entries

Fair warning, anyone think we'll break out of this channel?

Attachment 10868

Fair warning, anyone think we'll break out of this channel?
    Up 9 of last 11 days with sentiment over 2 to 1 bulls??? Probably.

I sold on Friday but wouldn't bet against this market for too long. I'm looking for a 2 to 3 day pullback before buying again.
    Last edited by tsptalk; 04-03-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by tsptalk View Post
    Up 9 of last 11 days with sentiment over 2 to 1 bulls??? Probably.

I sold on Friday but wouldn't bet against this market for too long. I'm looking for a 2 to 3 day pullback before buying again.
    - this sounds about right, Tom. Everything from a contrarian perspecitive seems to say sell but it will probably go higher.

Blog Entries

I am also playing safe than sorry.

Page 138 of 799 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238638 ... LastLast