Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 114
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Clester's retirement story

  1. #1
    clester's Avatar
    clester is offline Planet TSP Reputation: 1932
    Likes received: 505
    Likes given: 20
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,456

    Default Clester's retirement story

    You can now add me to the retired list. Last day was May 31. 50 years old and 26 years in Air Traffic. Got a partial check (I worked 1 week and 1 day of it) this week. No leave payout yet. I have 245 hrs annual, 1760 sick, and 24 credit hours to be paid to me. Soon I hope. First regular FERS check (estimated, about 80% of normal) should be July. ATC FERS will give me 40% of high 3 plus supplement which equals about 11% for a total of 51%.

    Hopefully, I will be able to start 72t withdrawals from TSP in July using Amoritization method.

    I will start my second career as a high school math teacher in the fall. Either student teaching (internship with no pay) or what is called an alternate license and have my own class with pay. Next year I will have a regular license.

    I will let you know how it goes so others can know what to expect.
    100% C fund
    RSI - Relative Strength Indicator DMA - day moving average


  2.  
  3. #2
    nnuut's Avatar
    nnuut is online now Moderator | TSP Legend Reputation: 6980
    Likes received: 1654
    Likes given: 1196
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boiled Peanut, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    32,206

    Default Re: Clester's retirement story

    Quote Originally Posted by clester View Post
    You can now add me to the retired list. Last day was May 31. 50 years old and 26 years in Air Traffic. Got a partial check (I worked 1 week and 1 day of it) this week. No leave payout yet. I have 245 hrs annual, 1760 sick, and 24 credit hours to be paid to me. Soon I hope. First regular FERS check (estimated, about 80% of normal) should be July. ATC FERS will give me 40% of high 3 plus supplement which equals about 11% for a total of 51%.

    Hopefully, I will be able to start 72t withdrawals from TSP in July using Amoritization method.

    I will start my second career as a high school math teacher in the fall. Either student teaching (internship with no pay) or what is called an alternate license and have my own class with pay. Next year I will have a regular license.

    I will let you know how it goes so others can know what to expect.
    Congratulations Clester!!!
    I received my payment for leave is less than a week, but I worked for DOD!
    It's been 5 1/2 Months and I am still getting a partial check (80%) no kudos to OPM, what a group they are!
    Links Crude Settle $91.52 09-22-2014
    -$.89 Loss
    http://wattsupwiththat.com/



  4.  
  5. #3
    Scout333's Avatar
    Scout333 is offline Team TSP Reputation: 1422
    Likes received: 102
    Likes given: 70
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Clester's retirement story

    Congratulations Clester! Enjoy your retirement! At least through the summer. Keep us posted on the progress with the retirement chks, etc.

  6.  
  7. #4
    XL-entLady's Avatar
    XL-entLady is offline Club TSP Reputation: 1906
    Likes received: 0
    Likes given: 0
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,991

    Default Re: Clester's retirement story

    Congratulations, Clester! I retired from Dept of Interior. It took me 7 weeks to get my lump sum annual leave. I got my first 80% annuity 6 weeks after I retired. And it took 10 1/2 months to get my normal retirement annuity.

    Best of luck!

  8.  
  9. #5
    clester's Avatar
    clester is offline Planet TSP Reputation: 1932
    Likes received: 505
    Likes given: 20
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,456

    Default Re: Clester's retirement story

    Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    Congratulations, Clester! I retired from Dept of Interior. It took me 7 weeks to get my lump sum annual leave. I got my first 80% annuity 6 weeks after I retired. And it took 10 1/2 months to get my normal retirement annuity.

    Best of luck!
    Thanks Lady,
    My checks came through Dept of Interior. So, I may be on the same schedule for my payout.

    Since it took 10 1/2 months to get your normal annuity and nnuut still hasn't got his after, what, 5 or 6 months? I guess I need to plan for that.

    Thanks to both of you for the info.
    100% C fund
    RSI - Relative Strength Indicator DMA - day moving average

  10.  
  11. #6
    KevinD's Avatar
    KevinD is offline Planet TSP Reputation: 1835
    Likes received: 12
    Likes given: 5
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West of Atlanta
    Posts
    2,564

    Default Re: Clester's retirement story

    Congrats Clester! I'm jealous...

  12.  
  13. #7
    Zebra's Avatar
    Zebra is offline TSP Talker Reputation: 471
    Likes received: 1
    Likes given: 0
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Decatur, Ala
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Clester's retirement story

    WOW, OPM ..........who do they work for? You guys got me scared already, as I am retiring end of the year myself. Totally unexceptable it in today's time for such delays. With the technology of today, it should be as quick as pushing one button, called RETIREMENT, EH?????

    Question: what is the average timeframe OPM to TSP notification of seperation? I understand TSP will not even process your withdrawal until OPM notifies they of your retirement status.

  14.  
  15. #8
    nnuut's Avatar
    nnuut is online now Moderator | TSP Legend Reputation: 6980
    Likes received: 1654
    Likes given: 1196
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boiled Peanut, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    32,206

    Default Re: Clester's retirement story

    I think we should FIRE them all!! This is ridiculous, 10 1/2 months to process a retirement!!! I'm going to start writing letters and sending emails just to bug them, what a SNAFU!! eyes3.gif
    Links Crude Settle $91.52 09-22-2014
    -$.89 Loss
    http://wattsupwiththat.com/



  16.  
  17. #9
    XL-entLady's Avatar
    XL-entLady is offline Club TSP Reputation: 1906
    Likes received: 0
    Likes given: 0
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,991

    Default Re: Clester's retirement story

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
    WOW, OPM ..........who do they work for? You guys got me scared already, as I am retiring end of the year myself. Totally unexceptable it in today's time for such delays. With the technology of today, it should be as quick as pushing one button, called RETIREMENT, EH?????

    Question: what is the average timeframe OPM to TSP notification of seperation? I understand TSP will not even process your withdrawal until OPM notifies they of your retirement status.
    OPM was quick to notify TSP of my retirement. I think I got my first monthly withdrawal check in two months.


  18.  
  19. #10
    alevin's Avatar
    alevin is offline Planet TSP Reputation: 3416
    Likes received: 196
    Likes given: 279
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    inland Northwest
    Posts
    2,695

    Default Re: Clester's retirement story

    congrats, clester. Knew you were almost there, now you are! Livin' the dream-step by step by step. definitely helps to hear what lies ahead from those who've gotten there. Lets the rest of us know the non-TSP savings are as important as the rest, since might have to live on them while awaiting those first checks.

  20.  
  21. #11
    Frixxxx's Avatar
    Frixxxx is online now Moderator Reputation: 6331
    Likes received: 920
    Likes given: 1390
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    5,734

    Default Re: Clester's retirement story

    Congrats Clester!

    I hope it goes smooth as silk for you and your money!
    It's Frixxxx -- 4 X's - It's my nickname changed because I use to do FOREX. - Get it?
    Tracker = 40%-C 60%-S::::Real World = 100%-G

  22.  
  23. #12
    Texarkandy's Avatar
    Texarkandy is offline TSP Starter Reputation: 221
    Likes received: 0
    Likes given: 0
    AutoTracker

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Clester's retirement story

    Congrats Clester

    FYI - I retired as a FERS LEO on very short notice at the end of Sept 09 & got finalized in Mar 2010.

    Around the middle of Nov when I still had not received an interim payment from OPM, I got on the phone with my (very efficient!) agency retirement rep who found out there was a hitch in that NFC had not forwarded my paperwork to OPM - she got something moving & I started getting payments.

    TSP was much more efficient than OPM. I set myself up for life expectancy payments. (btw - have u ever decided what are you gonna do with that? Life Expectancy? Roll over to IRA & 72t? Annuity? Let it ride?)

    Good luck with your new life/freedom. C'mon in -the water's fine!

  24.  
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
S&P 500 (C fund)
[Chart]
1d  5d  3m  6m  1y  2y
Dow Completion (S fund)
[Chart]
1d  5d  3m  6m 
EFA (I fund)
[Chart]
1d  5d  3m  6m  1y  2y
Bonds (F fund)
[Chart]
1d  5d  3m  6m  1y  2y